Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Eating causes fatigue and uncontrollable sleepiness
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Eating causes fatigue and uncontrollable sleepiness

I'm a 24 yr old female of normal weight.  Whenever I eat even a small amount of food, I get extremely tired and fall asleep.  Both my mind and my body become fatigued, and if I remain awake I feel like my arms and legs are difficult to move.  I counter sometimes this by not eating at all during the day, then eating a large meal before bed.  If I eat late at night, I wake up more groggy in the morning than if I hadn't eaten at all.  I will fall asleep after I've eaten even if I find something mentally stimulating to work on and even if I keep moving (bouncing my leg, writing, or twirling an ink pen) no matter how hard I try to stay awake.  When I sleep at night, I sleep hard and nothing wakes me up.  I sleep about 10-12 hours a day including naps.  I wake up just as tired as I was when I went to sleep, but eating makes the tiredness much worse.  This problem is not of recent onset; I remember even in elementary school I would avoid eating during the day because "if I eat then I can't think".  I also have virtually no feelings of hunger; I could go for a few days without eating and not feel hungry, but eventually I crave certain foods or I feel shaky and weak and I have to eat.
Does anyone know what my symptoms could be or how I can manage them?  Thank you!