Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Elevated AST Level(Liver Enzymes)

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Elevated AST Level(Liver Enzymes)

High I am 24 years old.  My AST level was elevated today at 49 points.  This was my only liver enzyme that was elevated.  It seems like any time I get my blood drawn one liver enzyme is elevated, but it's never enough to concern my doctor.  They explained to me that it was only elevated 9 points, and it was probably due to ibuprofen...I explained I don't take aspirin or ibuprofen.  They said maybe due to drinking.  I drank on Friday.  Would that leave ONE liver enzyme elevated on a Monday?  Why just one?  If it was from alcohol or ibuprofen wouldn't it be more?  I'm just very concerned as I feel it should be monitored since they are ALWAYS slightly elevated any time we test, but they didn't even schedule me for a follow up appointment.  The excuses they gave me for it to be elevated don't make sense to me.  Are there any other reasons this would be slightly elevated?  Should I not be worried?
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
AST at 49 is not a cause of concern. Because AST is found in many other organs besides the liver, including the kidneys, the muscles, and the heart, having a high level of AST does not always (but often does) indicate that there is a liver problem. For example, even vigorous exercise may elevate AST levels in the body. Again in liver diseases it is usually raised 2-3 times it normal upper value of 40. Take care!