Enlarged Axillary lymph node
My husband has had an enlarged Axillary lymph node for 5 years now. he had it an ultrousond on it 5 years ago and said it was benign. but now it looks like its gotten bigger and has never gone away. he has lost a lot of weight but all blood work has been ok. should I be concerned?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Since your husband has lost weight, yes, you should be concerned. Swollen lymphnode could be in response to fungal infection or sweat dermatitis or infection of hair follicles. It can also be an enlarged lymphnode due to malignancy of breast (rare in males but not impossible).
Other causes of unexplained weight loss could be worms in stool, depression, anorexia nervosa, AIDS, cancers especially colon cancers, drug abuse, infections and loss of appetite. Loss of appetite can again be due to certain medications, drug abuse, depression, AIDS, acute and chronic infections, cancers and hypothyroidism. Either he does not eat well or there is increased metabolism as in hyperthyroid states, HIV, cancer etc. Poor absorption as in irritable bowel syndromes and malabsorption syndromes too is possible. Malabsorption syndromes are seen in intestinal tuberculosis, HIV, tropical sprue, parasites in stool and Whipple’s Disease. Diabetes too can be the cause.
Since I cannot examine your husband and know other related conditions he may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP to run tests and examination to clinch a diagnosis.
Take care!
if swollen lymph nodes are associated with fevers, night sweats, or weight loss, and the patient does not have any obvious infection, he/she may need a through evaluation by a doctor.

Also, people who were appropriately treated for an infection but have persistent swollen lymph nodes may need to see their doctor.

If a patient has a known cancer, or were treated for one in the past and he/she notices new lymph nodes in the general area of the cancer, he/she may need to notify a physician..and i might be transformed in to malignant .so better if u approach fnac
my husband had an ultrusound guided biopsy of the axillary region and they found 6 enlarged lymph nodes. should we be worried