Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Enlarged Spleen

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Enlarged Spleen

I have an enlarged spleen, for the last 10 months. I have had one CT Scan and two ultrasounds. The last one I had said that I have moderate Splenomagley. My spleen measures 16.3cm right now, and I have already seen a blood and cancer doctor, to rule out cancers. Mine has never went back down to it's original size, it just keeps getting bigger. My NP said that she is referring me to a gastroenterologist (Don't know if I spelled it right or not). But basicly I have to prtect that area. I have pain there and have been so tired for a while now, but I am anemic. I have been nauses for a while now, I can even feel my own spleen. I can not find out how big they will let it get before they do something. My NP asked me that today, how big will they let it get, I said that is what I was going to ask you. I am scared and frustrated and do not know what else ro do. Anyone with advice please give it. Thanks for your time and may God bless you all!

This discussion is related to enlarged spleen pain please help.
Do you have Lupus?  I have, and I know that I have had to have ultrasounds to check the size of my spleen due to different problems faced with clotting factors and blood results.  I don't know, but it may be worth a shot if you can't figure out anything else.  Good luck!!! :)
I have been to a hemotologist, do they check for lupus? Cause he said that I was negetive for any cancers, all it showed was that I was anemic. Which I still am. I am having pain in my left side, nausea, and weak not to mention tired all the time. They say that it will take me a month to get into a GI doctor, but that it should not rupture until I get into the GI. But any blow to my side could rupture it, I have small children. I have moderate splenomegly.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Spleen enlargement is commonly seen in anemia and also in leukemia, malaria, tuberculosis, lymphomas, hepatitis, cirrhosis etc. Hence all these conditions will need to be ruled out one by one. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!
I am anemic. but any cancer has been ruled out already. I have never been out of the country, so I can't have malaria. I have already seen my pcp, they have referred me to a GI doctor, I have an appointment next Friday. But I am still having pain in my upper left side and tired all the time. Also I am real shaky here since Wednesday, is that anything to worry about? I just generaly do not feel well.
An enlarged spleen for the last 10 months and your physician is just now sending you to a GI Specialist?  And then the NP asks you "how big are they going to let it get?" That is ridiculous.  

Not to scare you, but this COULD turn into an emergent situation for you. A ruptued spleen could be life-threatening.  Be extremely careful with your activity.    

Please seek emergent care if you get worse.  That will be your judgement call.

All the best.  
Yeah they are now just getting me into a GI doctor. I actually just got the call today. My appointment is next friday. Hope I can last till then. I have been watching my activity ever since I found out about my spleen. But I have been having to stay away from my daughters, so that they don't kick me, and watch how I drive. Cause they said that one blow to my spleen could rupture my spleen. I just hope and pray that nothing happens until I get into my GI doctor next friday. But it has been hurting me for the last couple of days. I just don't want to go to the ER and sit there for hours and then get sent back home, but then again I don't want to wait till it is so bad that I have to be rushed there by ambulance. Besides the ambulance may not make it to me in time. They hae no idea why my spleen just keeps getting bigger, they have tested me for all kinds of cancers and nothing. I know that I have ebstein barr virus, but tested neg for mono. So they say that my spleen should have went back down to normal size, but instead it just keeps getting bigger. Frustrated and scared, an don't know what to do.
I don't think the ER will be sending you back once they know what is going on; if they do, I will be totally surprised.  Going to the ER is your judgement call.  In my opinion, you should have been hospitalized and GI consulted to see you IN the hospital.  

You said you had EBV, which might be doing a number on your spleen, but have you been screened for Hepatitis?  
No I have not been screened for that since I was prgenent 2 years ago. I read about it, but I don't have any of the symptoms of that. I was just chasing my little girls around and got so winded and had to stop.
Well, some patient have few to no symptoms for Hepatitis, in particular chronic Hep.  I would have it ruled out since you have this spleen situation going on.  
Went to the ER last night. They did a CT scan, blood work and urnie anlysis. They checked for kidney stones, urniary tract infection, kidney infection, bladder infection and diverticulitis and found nothing, My spleen had not gotten any larger since the last ultrasound, which was only done a few days ago. But my red blood cell count was high. But they said that it could have been because I just got done takng prescriptioon steroids for my allergies. But they did put me on another antibiotic for my sinusitis. I was there for almost 7 hours. But hopefully nothing happens until I get into the GI doctor. Thanks for all the advice. But don't stop giving it....
I now have diarehea as while, don't know if that as anything to do with what is going on or not..... I am still frustrated and scared, cause I have no idea what is happening with me or why it is happening. It is so frustrating to sit and wait to see a GI doctor, and this appointment is only a consult. But I am hoping that he will do something once he sees my records, and not make me wait any longer. I don't want to wait till it ruptures and take a chance not getting to the hospotal in time. I have three children, that needs there mommy.....
Wow, I can't believe they sent you home.  I am sure the diarrhea and high red count is related to your spleen.  

I sure hope nothing happens before friday.

Keep me posted.
Hi there, a hematologist wouldn't necessarily test for Lupus, but if you have had these blood tests done...RF Latex, ANA, anti DNA, C Reactive Protein, ESR, C3, C4, and/or any immunoglobulin testing, then you have been tested for Lupus.  How are your platelets?  The diarreha could be from the antibiotics, especially if you haven't been on this kind and have been on others before this.  They are hard on the GI system. Since Lupus works like an overactive immune system.......you have EBV and an enlarged spleen with no signs of cancer, I would push the auto-immune idea....GI just doesn't sound right to me.

Good luck, keep us posted!!

L
Hi there, I "googled" Enlarged Speen and EBV together and I found this......

Definition of Epstein-Barr Virus
Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) is a common human virus that causes infectious mononucleosis and plays a role in the emergence of two rare forms of cancer: Burkitt's lymphoma, and nasopharyngeal carcinoma.  

It also talked about the enlarged spleen along with it.

I noticed you saying you have chronic allergies and sinusitis..........I don't want to freak you out more.....but maybe you also need to see an ENT surgeon, and they need to do a nasopharyngeal scope (many can do these in their office).  

I hope that helps you out, take care!
L
Thanks for all the info. I will talk to the GI doctor about these things. I just hope that I can last till then. Now I have been really nauseas since last night. I even tried taking over the counter anti nausea medicine, it did not work. I went to the doctors yesterday to have my iron and B-12 rechecked. Have not gotten the results yet, but I finally got some pain medicine for the pain associated with my spleen. I just hope the GI doctor can help me, cause if he can't then I have no idea what I am going to do. But I will keep you all informed. Thanks for the advice and the support. May God bless you all.
Yes, please update after your GI consult or before.  

All the best.  

I went today and seen my GI Doctor. He ordered some blood work. He is testing me for auto immune dieases, hepititis (hepatitis) A & C, and testing to make sure that my liver has no sevre damage. He also told me that my ultra sound should that I have signs of viral Hepititis (hepatitis). He also told me to call my hemotologist and let him know that my spleen never went back down to normal size, he also said something about Lupus. He said depending on what the blood tests say I might have to have a liver biopsy done. But the lab said that he should have the test results back on monday or tuesday. That if ther was anything on the tests that warrented to be taken care of asap then he would call me other than that I would have to wait till my appoinment on April 8th. So got some kinda good news that maybe he might be able to do something. And some bad news that I could have something life threating. Now I am more scared then ever, what the tests are going to cpme back and say. I can't wait another 2 weeks to see what they say. But I have to. Thanks for all the advice and the added support. May god bless you all, and please keep me in your prayers.
I thought it could be Hepatitis, which I mentioned in a previous post.  Doesn't sound like Lupus.  Just have to wait and see unfortunately.  I know one thing, they have to quickly find a way to get your spleen down or take it out.  

Yes, I will keep you in my prayers dear.  Hang in there dear.  
Then liver tests came back fine, so now I have to go see my Hemotologist. My GI doctor said that it could be blood clots, a blood diesase or another thing. But I can not remember the name of it. anyone got snymore advice on what I should do.
Went to my PCP today, and got more pain meds. I go to see the hemotologist on May 9th next month, my PCP said that he did not know if that would do any good. But I get to the point where it is hard for me to breathe, so I don't know if it has gotten bigger and pressing on my lungs or what. But with mediciad my PCP can only order an ultrasound every 6 months, I would have to go to the ER if I wanted to know if it has gotten bigger or not. But my PCP told me today that they might have to take it out. But I guess that I just have to wait till next month, and hope that nothing happens in the mean time. Please keep me in your prayers.. God Bless you all..
Just got the report form the CT scan I has last month at the ER. The ultrasound that I had done on 03/10/2011 my spleen was 16.3 now on the CT scan I had done on 03/15/2011 it is now 15.6 again. But something else I learned from the report, which the ER doctor did not mention. I have a 3.1 x 2.5 cm cyst on my left ovary. Also I have mild asymmetric fullness of the left renal pelvic collecting system compared to the contralateral side without true hydronephrosis, I do not know what that means.they said that the cyst is an adnexal cyst, most likey ovarian in etiology. Have no idea what that mean either. If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it. Please keep me in your prayers. God bless you all...
Oh, sorry I have not talked to you in a while.  Sorry to hear things are not better.

Haven't you seen the Hematologist already; didn't he clear you?  

I would recommend getting that spleen out asap.  I am not sure the cyst situation is that significant.  

The only other thing it could be is something infectious.  
Yeah I already seen the hematologist, but my GI doctor said that I needed to go back and see him. I have an appoinment May 9th, that is the soonest that they could get me in. I just started a new job, now I am worried that something will happena nd I will have to be off work, I don't want to loose my job. It was really hard for me to get this one. But My PCP said that they might have to take it out, if they can't figure out what is causing it to get bigger and not smaller. My PCP also said that I have already been to the hematologist, he don't know what good it will do for me to go again. But I after I see the hematologist then I have to go back to my PCP. Please keep me in your prayers. Is there anything that you can think of to suggest to me Hematologist or my PCP?
I don't think another trip to the Hemo. will be of any help.  It is possible to be seen by an ID, Infectious Disease Specialist?  You need that spleen out.  

Oh my, you just started a new job too?  I wish that you had gotten your spleen out before you started the new job.  

Praying for your dear; hang in there.  :)))

Londres
Yeah I know, I am going to talk to my PCP about it. Cause my boyfriend is going on vacation this summer for 2 months to visit his daughter, and I am afraid that something will happen and he will not be able to get back in time. Plus there will be on one to take care of my after I had surgery, cause my mom is suppose to have surgery some time soon to replace her tricusps valve, she will be down for a long time. Thanks for the prayers, just keep them coming please. Will let you know what happens. Thanks for all your advice... I am hurting right now so I am going to get off her now, it has been bothering me the last couple of days. I am thinking about going back to my PCP and just talking to him about going ahead and getting it taken out now, before my bf goes on vacation. And I start working alot of hours at my job.

amanda
I would recommend just getting it removed.  

Prayers to you.  

Londres
I am going to the PCP today. I went to the Hemotologist. All she did was do some blood work on me. CBC, B-12 level and an iron level. But my PCP said that it might not do any good to go back. So I will see what he decides to do today. He said that they might have to take it out. My side has been really hurting since yesterday, everytime that I have to bend down it really hurts. Plus now my muscle spasm is acting up, I can't even lift my left arm that much, cause it hurts if I do. Also I have this spot on the back of my head, it hurts really bad, but I do not remember hitting it though. It is strange. I will keep you posted about what the PCP says. Please everyone keep me in your thoughts and prayers

Amanda
I just want you to know that I went to my PCP today. He had me do an x-ray of my back to make sure that the pain is not from a bulging disc. Saturday I have an MRI on my back, just to rule out a bulging disc. Also sent a surgery consult, cause my PCP said that something has to be done. That this has been going on to long, and he wants to prvent it from becoming an emergancy. So please keep me in your prayers that I get into the surgeon soon. I will keep you updated. Thanks for everything you have done for me, really appreciate it. And may God bless you!

Amanda
Keep me posted.

Prayers and hugs.  

Londres
Went to the surgeon today, have to go in Wednesday morning and have a CT scan done. He wants to see whats going on in there. I went Friday, because I PCP ordered a MRI of my back. He want to see if I had a bulging disc that was causing the pain. But they found that I have a banin blood tumor on my L-1 vertabre of my spine. So now I have to go have another MRI of my lower back to see if there is anything else wrong with my spine, that could cause it to be laying on a nerve and causing me the pain. Please keep me in your prayers.. Thanks for all the advice.
I have to go in tommorrow to have a bone scan done, cause I have a hemangioma benin blood tumor on the L-1 vertabre of my spine. So they want to do a bone scan to see what else is going on and also my PCP said to see if there is cancer anywhere in my body. I am scared to have it done, dont know what it is going to say. I never got to go get my CT scan done, had to go out of town. Now I have to reschedule that. I still have the enlarged spleen. But my PCP saif that the pain may not be from the spleen, it could be from the blood tumor on my back. I am wondering if the epidural I had 6 years ago or the Spinal Block I had 3 years ago could have caused this. ANy thoughts? Please let me know, please keep me in your prayers.. Thanks for your time.. God Bless
Oh, so sorry you have not gotten any better.  

I doubt if the epidural or spinal block had anything to do with your problem now.  

Are you seeing the Oncologist again?  
hi, i stumbled upon your feed trying to research info on an enlarged spleen. I've had an enlarged spleen (moderate) since the beginning of April. Jan-March I was overseas in India, Thailand, and the Philippines.

Symptoms: enlarged spleen, insomnia, extreme fatigue, nausea, getting full quickly, loss of appetite, and upset stomach at times (ultrasound also showed hydrophrenosis and fatty liver but CT scan did not show those)

Doctors: hematologist- negative for leukemia, infectious diseases dr- negative stool test and malaria test.

NO IDEA where to go from here. I start school/internship full time in a month and I don't know how I will survive feeling the way I do. It's hard to concentrate or even to get out of bed sometimes!

Have you found anything since your last post?