Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Enlarged Supraclavicular Lymph Node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Enlarged Supraclavicular Lymph Node

Hi! On November 16th, I discovered a lump near my collarbone on the left side. My Mom happened to be visiting and I asked her to look at it and she confirmed that it was a lump. Luckily, I had my annual GYN exam scheduled on the 18th. My GYN doc checked it out and thought that it was swollen, because I had a cold at the time. He told me to watch it and then let him know if it didn't reduce in size. A month later, I called and told him that it hadn't decreased and that it actually felt slightly longer. Without hesitation, he referred me to a surgeon. I saw the surgeon about a week later and, at first, he states that he thinks that it is a 'fatty cyst'. However, when he asked me to lay down and he evaluated it again, he then stated that he didn't feel that it was pathogenic, but that it was definitely a lymph node.

He proceeded to say that he would remove it to make me 'feel better'. That just didn't feel right. I was extremely nervous and anxious about this, but he assured me that he was going to get me in quickly. And, I am scheduled for surgery on December 30th. When I reviewed the surgery paperwork, the procedure was noted as "supraclavicular lymph node biopsy".

My question is...would my Doc actually remove my lymph node to just 'make me feel better'? Secondly, would a Doc ever proceed with treatment/biopsy being suspicious without telling a patient - considering that I was in his office alone without emotional support?

I don't have personal history of cancer; however, I have a strong family history of breast, bone, lung and ovarian cancer. I have pain in my chest, dull aches in my armpits (both right and left), a dry cough, loss of appetite and headaches. In addition, I just found another small 'pea sized' lymph node on the left side of my neck towards the back.

Any suggestions? What should I ask for in terms of tests, treatment?

I am really not freaking too much about this, but the fact that so much information on the web indicates that the supraclavicular lymph node is 'suspicious' has me a little concerned.

Thank you in advance for your time!

~J
Good lord, your doctor is a jackass.

Bring all your concerns to your Primary Care Physician and have him go over what HE thinks it is and WHY.... What I like doing is bringing a list of things *I* think it is, and make him list reasons why it's NOT what is on my list.  (I am SUCH a pain in the ***).

A biopsy is the only way to rule out if it's serious.  It could be a virus, it could be an infection, it could be many-a-thing. A biopsy will give you a clearer indication of what is going on.  

Good luck and keep us posted!
well, when i was 13-14 yrs. old. i also had that lymph node on the lef side of my neck towards the back, i consult a Doc to check it up. the Doc said that it was a lump. and he immediately scheduled an operation. but my mom and i had second thoughts about it because he didn't even ask for xtray/ultrasound results. so we serach for another Doc. then this doctor told us that it is better if i passed xtray and ultrasound results. during the ultrasound, the doc. didnt saw any lump or whatsoever with my neck, she told me that  it was just a lymph node. then when i went on xtray the doctor saw on my lateral tray that i have a primary complex (tubercolosis of children that can be cured by medicine; too long to be cured) in my place, it takes 6-8 months before i finally recovered.
okay a biopsy is done on everthing that has to be removed from tumors to simple bithmaarks i know when i got mine removed i was scaried just have faith that everything is going to be ok
Hi!
Yes, supraclavicular lymphadenopathy is worrisome. Especially the ones larger than 1cm in diameter should be investigated thoroughly for cancers and granulomatous diseases. The right supraclavicular area receives drainage from the intrathoracic organs, whereas the left supraclavicular lymph nodes drain the abdomen. The supraclavicular lymph nodes also receive lymphatic drainage from the breasts. Hence the malignancies of these regions are possible. Tuberculosis, sarcoidosis, histoplasmosis, cat scratch disease and cryptococcosis are the other possibilities. I understand the anxiety and you can discuss this with the doctor before surgery, and take someone with you for this discussion. Also after the biopsy you will be told the report. Hope this helps. Take care!
Thank you for the comments! All of the comments!

DoctorNee, my supraclavicular lymph node is about an inch long and is not movable. It is painless, but 2 days ago I started to notice that the area around it is painful to touch. It is just at the base of my neck where my shoulder meets the neck. Only the left side is sore, no involvement of the right.

I will get through tomorrow and see what comes next! Again, I appreciate your comments and let you know what is going on. I have a friend driving me, so I will feel better!

Take care,

~J
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to send an update...I made it through my surgery on December 30th, but haven't been able to get any information from my surgeon. He was supposed to talk to my significant other afterwards, but he never came to the waiting room and never called.

I received a follow-up call from the surgery nurse the next night and I asked her if she could tell me anything. I told her that I had this odd 'memory' that I overheard the doc saying that he couldn't tell if it was a lymph node or not. The nurse that I had on the phone indicated that she would look at the chart and sure enough, she found his note where the surgeon wrote 'left supraclavicular mass' removed. And, that is all that she would/could tell me.

I have an appointment at the end of the week to have my bandage removed. I have this bandage over my incision that is like second skin and I am not allowed to remove it until I see the surgeon.

It is crazy that for a $6K plus surgery that you cannot even get the doc to call or follow up!

Thanks for listening!

Happy New Year to all...catch up soon!

~J
A related discussion, Update was started.
I know its been a while, but did you ever get the results back?