Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Excess swelling in both feet, ankles and legs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am 62 yo female with no major health problems. I am overweight and working on losing - 19 lbs lost so far - and a smoker...less than one pack a day. I am on meds for depression, pain in lower back, headaches, nerves and acid reflux. I have had swelling, severe, in both feet and ankles and a bit up the leg for years. I have been given fluid pills which don't provide any results. I drink only water. My feet and ankles get so swollen that they feel very tight and hard to move. If wearing shoes, the swelling occurs around the shoes so when I take them off, I can see a perfect impression of the shoe straps or edges. I have elevated my feet while asleep and that will work sometime but as soon as I get up, they begin swelling again. If I stay off my feet, sitting or laying down, they still swell. I urinate frequently due to the amount of water I drink. I have bouts of constipation but with my new diet program, this has been helped greatly. I had my heart checked because of the swelling with no results. This was years ago and had a cardiac cath but no heart problems except for Mitral Valve Prolapse. I am fairly sedentary as my back prevents me from doing many exercises. I am going to start using a recumbant bike which I just received as well as using the Wii Exercise program for minimal impact. My abdomen is where I carry most of my weight. I had gall bladder surgery in 2002 and after being blown up to access the gall bladder, my upper abdomen became distended also. I am getting on track with eating a more balanced diet with protein, carbs that are lower in sugar, and fruits only in the AM to burn off any sugar that is in the fruit. I have tried compression hose and my feet and ankles still swell. I do have a problem when walking as the swelling makes my ankles, feet and legs feel very heavy. There is no discoloration however they do look much whiter as they swell. I realize it might be the weight but I would like to know how I can determine what is actually causing this problem. What specialty physician should I consult with to determine if there is an underlying problem? Any suggestions that I can get would be helpful when I consult with my primary care physician. I am going to ask for blood tests to be performed before going to a specialist. What type of blood tests, other than the normal blood tests, could I ask my family practitioner perform to maybe narrow down a cause? Thanks in advance for your help. I would love to be able to see my ankles and feet again without the excess fluid or whatever in them.
Tags: Swelling, feet, ankles, legs, Pain, test, both?, Heart, Health, excess, excess swelling feet ankles
My aunt had that.. she is 87 now and I had it when I was in my forties.  I was taking in more salt then I realized.  So was my aunt.  We cut out chips and can goods and anything that had high sodium even cans of soup.  our feet both went down and so did our hands
Thanks for the reply. I don't eat canned foods, we use lite salt on any foods, I don't get processed foods, use only deli meat for protein. I am on a specialized diet program thru Xyngular that limits sodium. I do appreciate the reply though.