Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Excessively Dry Peeling Lips

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Excessively Dry Peeling Lips

A little over a month ago, I began having a problem with my lips, out of the clear bue.  There had been a noticeable dry spot on my top lip that was like a "patch" of some sort, completely different from the skin on the rest of my lips, but it didn't really bother me, so I ignored it.  So now...Both my top and bottom lips have started peeling to the point of being raw.  Continuously.  They are not even like "lip" skin tissue any longer.  It is like NO moisture whatsoever is getting to my lips.  I cannot even open my mouth without getting a painful open crack!  Can't smile anymore, and have to be extremely careful when I eat.  So, what I've tried... are natural lip balms with beeswax.  I started taking a B Complex supplement 3 days ago, along with some other vitamins.  So far, nothing has changed my situation.  

Even the skin above and below my lips is peeling, and is slightly discolored... all around my mouth.  It does not itch.  It only hurts, because it's raw.

I am drinking lots of extra water, more than I normally do.  I rarely wear lipsticks or makeup.  I do not think this has to do with anything I am drinking or applying to my lips... I think it's something internal causing this.  I've searched many posts regarding this, and I see others have this problem who have been to Drs with no luck.  I do not have a job, OR health insurance, so I can't afford to go anyway...

I am just wondering if anyone has any suggestions?

My very latest thing was mixing some emu oil with a few essential oils.  That seems to have helped the most, but I have to keep it with me at all times, and apply it literally "continuously" to achieve any relieve.  Once it dissipates, my lips are incredibly painful...and when i purse my lips (the opposite of smiling), they just crumple up like dry crepe paper.  

What can I do?  This is so embarrassing I can't even go out in public anymore!!!!  Help!  I have a history of allergies, but this doesn't seem like any type of allergic reaction?  It's been going on WAY too long now.  Tonight, as bad as I hate to, I'm going to try some vaseline.  Normally, I'm an all natural person, but I'm at my wits end.

This discussion is related to Why would my lips be so dry?.
it could be somet in your lipstik n tht, i use to get very bad chapped lips tht spread across my full lips and mouth to the bottom of my nose. try using savlon and spread it thick across your lips coz you need a skin healing cream wiv moisturiser and not just a moisturising cream hope this info was a little usefull
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
There is one very simple thing that I would like to tell you. Lip area when it heals, forms a scab like dry layer. This layer though looks bad should be left as such so that the skin underneath it can get time to grow and cover the lips. If you peel this dry skin, the healing process starts all over again with dry skin on your lip.
Dehydration is the commonest cause of dry cracked lips. Drink plenty of water and see.
The other possibility is iron and Vit B deficiency. Along with multivitamin B (not a multivitamin which also has other vitamins) take an iron preparation and see.
They can also be caused by allergies and infections. You could either be suffering from contact dermatitis or from allergy to some food. You should get an allergy test done, either a skin test or RAST, to know what you are allergic to. Contact dermatitis could be due to tooth pastes, mouth cleansers, spoons, cups, glasses, food items, cosmetics, shampoos, etc, basically anything that comes in contact with your lips.
Another possibility is eczema. Herpes infection is another possibility if there is a history of kissing or sexual contact (can get aggravated in presence of vitamin deficiencies, dry cracked lips, infections etc). Also get your blood sugar checked both fasting and two hour after food to know what if you have diabetes. Hypothyroidism too can cause this type of skin and lip problem. I would
Sounds like you need a full blood work up and possibly some other testing.  I suggest that you go to your Dr or dermotologist As soon as possible.
Well, I only wear lipstick about once a week, if even that much.  So that's not it.

I drink a LOT of water.  So it's not dehydration.

I haven't been tested for diabetes, but I eat very little sugar, except for the natural kind.  I am very health conscious, grow my own sprouts, drink green tea.  The worst thing I consume is coffee.

I would like to get some blood work done, but ya'll must not have noticed that I don't have the funds for that, so I guess I'm on my own.

I woke up this morning with bright swollen redness above and below my lips.  This is no longer my lips, but the area around my lips.  

I am beginning to wonder if I've developed an allergy to a dental device I've been wearing nightly for the past 3 years.  It's called Invisiline, a plastic piece that goes over your teeth to keep them straight.  I have two of them, and last night, I used a fairly new one that I haven't used much, and I had an extreme reaction.  

I am going to go without this for the next day or so, and see if it clears up at all.  I guess I'd rather have crooked teethe than messed up lips :(
Just did a search on Invisilign, and yes.  It does appear this is the problem.  Evidentally many others have had this same problem, but the company failed to report the reactions.. Lovely.