Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Exercise and cold symptoms
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Exercise and cold symptoms

This may be kind of strange, but it seems like exercise causes cold and flu-like symptoms.  I'm not sure, and was wondering if this sounded familiar to anyone.

I'm a 36 year old woman, about 100 pounds overweight.  8 years ago I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and I take lisinopril.  Last year I was diagnosed with PCOS and endometriosis, and 2 months ago I had a blood test confirm I am now anemic.  I have not yet gotten treatment for the endometriosis.  I have had irregular and sometimes chronically heavy periods for several years, but I don't believe I was anemic until recently.   Also, in the last 2 years I've had frequent sinus infections which respond to antibiotics, and unexplained woozy/dizzy spells and fatigue, but a series of tests showed nothing seriously wrong.  Since I'm anemic, the doctor has assumed it's the cause of the fatigue, wooziness, and susceptibility to sinus infections.

As you can see, I don't have any especially serious illnesses.  But for the last 3 years I can't exercise more than a few days in a row without suddenly getting cold or flu symptoms like sore throat, ear aches, fatigue, muscle aches and occasionally a little bit of a temperature.  This is a change from 3+ years ago, when I could use my exercycle daily, or do low-impact boxing workouts daily, and had no problem.  

While I exercise, I feel fine, not even a headache.  I do about 20-30 minutes of walking and can do this a few days in a row without problem, but then eventually it's like I hit a wall and get sick.  Sometimes the cold doesn't hit me until several hours after exercising, or even the next day.  The colds never last long, either, usually 1 to 2 days.  For a long time I didn't exercise at all, and during those several months, I had no colds at all.  When I started back up with the exercise, sure enough, I got those colds again.

I'm wondering, is this just coincidence?  I wasn't anemic 3 years ago when I noticed this trend, so I don't think it's the anemia, but I just don't know what to think.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.