Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Extreme Itching Throughout Body

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Extreme Itching Throughout Body

Asian Male of 20 years of age.

Symptoms: Extreme itching all over body if exerted in any way. The itching seems to be almost within the skin.

The problem seems to have started around 2 years ago. I would run or excercise and when my body was a little exerted or I sweated I would become very very itchy for about 20 minutes, and then the itchiness would disappear for the rest of the day. Ignored problem is trivial or even a normal symptom of dried skin.

Now: The itchiness seems to have elevated to another level, although it is the same itching, it does NOT go away, and starts with anything as trivial as taking a walk, to even moving my arm or stretching out. It seems to be associated with heat, because if my body is cold, it is not itchy whatsoever.

Tried: dove soap,all types of lotion (seems to make it worse), consumption of large quantities of water (seems to help a little but might be psychological), stopping the eating of fried foods/sodas/etc, even allergy pills and vitamin/nutrition pills. Regular doctor checkups and Dermatologists shrug it off as nothing but a dry skin problem, but this CANNOT be normal.

Time: The itchiness seemed to almost stop at the beginning of summer, but slowly growing it again has reached it's peak at the end of summertime. It is completely ruining my days with endless scratching and embarassment, as well as making it hard to workout/run/ or even socialize.

Please help with this problem, because it is truly ruining my life.

Thank You.
Chronic itching like you describe can be a symptom of a liver problem. Liver issues can be very hard to diagose until they have advanced to a more critical stage. Often early symptoms are blown off as nothing or as something else, like a skin condition when really there is an underlying liver issue. I'd have a complete blood count done and have a hepatic panel done on your liver to make SURE you are't dealing with a liver problem that is causing systemic itching. Do you have any other symptoms?
Other then the itching there seems to be nothing abnormal about my body or health. Will contact doctor for more blood tests =[, thank you. Do you know of any other serious symptoms or side effects of liver problems?
there are several conditions which include itchy skin as a symptom, but i don't think it's isolated to legs or to one season of the year.  the fact that it's so seasonal is why i thought of allergies.
It could be something else entirely but it has gone on pretty long and itching like that can be liver related. The only other thing I can think of would be some type of parasite but that doest seem likely since it comes and increases by the season. Maybe something in the water? It must be such a hard thing to cope with hope you get answers soon.
have you tried antihistimes such as benedryl?
20 m
I have the exact same problem but mine doesnt only occur with physical exercise but also when i get embarassed or angry or any sort of emotion like that. its been driving me crazy i have no idea what it is and ive been searching online nonstop trying to figure it out. SOMEONE HELP!
I have the exact same symptoms as you and i also get it when startled too. Are you by chance on any meds, such as prevacid(lansoprazole)or any other gastral meds...my doc says it's not likely the cause but i am thinking it might be.
This is too odd.  The itching finally drove me to a search engine and I find others with very similar symptoms.
53 year old male probably drinks too much and has a pot belly has recurring redness with itching (not big hives) and no apparent trigger (like an allergy). Tender skin areas itch furiously for 30 min when I overheat, stress, laugh, get mad, etc.. then all is returns to normal but the incident can recur several times/day.
Lots of travel in Central and South America, lots of exotic animals in environment, recently quit smoking due to shortness of breath and coughing issues.  No antihistamines in use and aside from shrimp, no allergies.
I have an otherwise stable and boring life and a good relationship with GP.  Hepatic panel on the next visit?
Any other itchy people recognize something here??  Should I go back to smoking just in case??
Mom died of scleroderma but I see none of her symptoms yet.
Any ideas??
snaker

I have also been experiencing exactly what everyone in this forum has been discussing for the past two years and I am getting sick of it..It is affecting my thoughts and every part of my life that involves motion and interacting with people. I have trouble holding down jobs because I am constantly worried that I might have a flare up and then the worry causes me to have a flare up. It's almost embarrassing and I am not able to talk to anyone about this. I've been doing some research and it might be linked to MS(multiple Sclerosis) the symptom is called "Uhthoff's Symptom"...which is and increase in body temperature caused by exercise, hot baths or showers, hot weather, hot food or drinks, cooking, stress, anxiety, anger, fatigue...I've been researching MS and I find myself in alot of the categories and exhibiting alot of the symptoms since I've been aware of the itching(more so within the past year) I will go now and seek some more medical help because the antihistamines, corticosteroids and allergy pills are really a waste of time and money.

some examples of other symptoms that I have, linked to MS, are; problems with memory, depression, mood swings, shortness of breath, dizzy after physical exertion(in the summer after being constantly exposed to heat I am able to exercise but I sweat profusely!!!), Anxiety, heart palpitations and it goes on....for more info google " Multiple Sclerosis symptoms"...I will also look up the whole liver disease thing because I've been drinking for about 8 - 9 years now so it might also be a cause of it...hope I was any help to you and hopefully I will someday soon be able to rid myself of this ****!

ps: I also read that some MS medications are successful in treating what they call "dysesthetic itching" such as; anticonvulsants, the antihistamine hydroxyzine and antidepressants (I have always thought that maybe it was a psychological or neurological problem and I really hope I'm not right but it sure would put and end to the worst couple years of my life!!)
I have also been experiencing itching for several years, but last year (August '06) I had a very bad episode that lasted several weeks. It started after a long hot bike ride. I have experienced it in the summer, in the winter, for only a few minutes or for several hours..and it will just about drive you crazy! Mine is often accompanied by a very acid stomach. I describe it like there is acid in my body and in my veins, causing this terrible systemic itching, burning flushing thing.
My GI doc checked out my liver and stomach and a rare cancer (carcinoid?), all negative. He found an ovarian cyst which turned out to be low grade/borderline cancer, and I thought it might be the cause...but not so...itching persists after surgery! I did discover that opiates like morphine and oxycontin will bring on the itching. I also talked to a neurologist about it and any possible link to MS and she said no, but I'm not so sure. Now on top of the itching I have hot flashes from total hysterectomy. All in all though, I am feeling better than before the tumor was removed. 2006 was a lost year for me, now I would like toi tryto address itching and acid stomach thing. I ahve given up all meds but acetominaphan; doesn't seem to be diet related, so what can it be??? Thyroid, allergy???
I have had itching of the neck and head on and off for the past few months, but now it has accelerated to all over. I am sitting here at 3.30am in the morning as I am itching from head to toe and unable to sleep. I have been taking Lansoprazle as mentioned above for the past eight years and have considered that this may be the cause but I take it every day and don't have the itching all the time. Although since being on the medication I have developed allergies to certain foods and medication that I did not suffer with before including going in to anaphylatic shock after a flu vaccination. However I am also menopausal so don't know if that is the problem. I did mention it to my doctor but was only given ointment for theitching.
I suffer from somthing similar, I'm not sure if it is the same. But here goes. I am 15 almost 16 years old, Male, 6 ft tall, about 140 lbs., used to be very active, all summer played football and had basketball camps going on too. In mid June I hurt my back, I played all summer and 5 weeks into my football season to find out that I had 4 spine fractures. (Your probabally wondering why this is important but trust me keep reading.) I haven't been active for about 3 1/2 months now...Probabally the longest I have ever been off of sports. Usually I have about 1-2 weeks between sports. I am hypoglycemic (whatever that means). I have been diagnosed with A.D.D. and I take Adderall (adderrall) XR 20 mg and have problems eating becuase of it (might be a factor). I also have asthma (probabally not a factor but.....). Ever since I was old enough to play basketball in grade school (since about 4th grade) it has been in the winter, and for the first 2-3 weeks of practice I would get itchy on my chest only. And it would turn red. Well for the last few months I have had to wear a brace (for my back) that extends from my waist all the way up to my armpits. It's a snug brace. So I get hot but it's not so bad. But since roughly the 2nd week of november (before I had to wear the brace), I started having this itchy problem. It happens when I get hot, nervous, after (Limited) physical activity (not the class) or sometimes just randomly. It will start as anywhere on my back, leg, neck, chest, etc. as a like a prickly tingly itchy, that is slighty painful, then I'll itch it and it will spread quickly throughtout my body and it hurts a little more. It will make my muscles twitch. I don't swell up or get hives, I just turn a blotchy-red where the itching is with out scratching it. I don't know why this happens but it's really annoying and I think it is a nervous thing. But I am not for certain. Please Help?

Email your comments to me at ***@****

Thank you for any and all help, suggestions, comments.
Yes, I've come on this forum in search of the same answers.  Started about 18 mths ago, not long after getting sterilized (not a hysterectomy).  Thought it very strange, never experienced anything like it, always quite enjoyed exerting myself then suddenly my skin feels like I want to claw it off with the itching and blotching, with hardly any exertion (vacuuming or something).  Also, happens when stressed, a bit of a rush or anxious and nervous.  I have been to the doctors, had liver and kidney function tests and hormone tests (thought may be menopausal), all came back negative.  

Now, I find that I get severely hot for no apparent reason out of the blue, my skin radiates heat and I look flushed and red without doing anything at all.  I too have been trawling the internet for answers, hence, arriving here.  I don't wont to be paranoid but I cant believe this is normal.

Anyone has any new thoughts, keep posting.

Joolz
Oh boy, have just been reading everyone's posts. I have been suffering from extreme itching for the last 3 or 4 months. I am a 30yr old woman. At first i thought it must be hives but I have never in my life suffered from hives. When I was pregnant with my last child.. 3 yrs ago..the dr's discovered i was suffering from cholestasis of pregnancy.. because I started itching like crazy.. Cholestasis of Preg affects the liver and apparently the toxins from my liver could not go anywhere so went onto my blood stream.. the levels were so high my baby had to be induced 6 wks early so he would not be still born, or have intercranial haemhorraging (forgive spelling) or me, bleed to death because it stopped me producing vitamin k.. the blood clotting factor. Well, 3 yrs down the track.. I have started itching again..have been a bit worried it might be my liver as apparently it was very scarred after the cholestasis.. I took my little guy to the Dr today, and I was itching like crazy.. again.. It has been very severe in the last week.. And I am out of telfast.. but the Doc who knows me quite well.. said I don't think it is hives, I want you to come in for some blood tests without your kids.. he thinks they stress me out! But now I am worried because 3 weeks ago i got rushed to hospital with suspected heart attack and since then I have been having lots of attacks of super ventricular tachycardia which was diagnosed in my first pregnancy almost 10yrs ago. After reading all the posts now i am worried I might have Multiple Sclerosis. My itching can come on at any time.. and affects my whole body. It drives me insane!! Any thoughts please send them. I am booked in for full bloods next Friday.. when little one at pre-school and the older ones at school. I will post my results when they come in.
My itching started  about 10 years ago. I woke up one morning and my skin felt like bugs were crawling all over me. And I was getting tingling itching all over my body.My itching is all the time. Mine never goes away.  Went to the doctors and It took several doctor visits before my doctor would believe me. First went to the dermatoligist and he said my skin was fine and he recommended a neurologist. I went through test after test. From a brain scan to  taking fluid from my spine to check for ms. Tons of blood tests and was even sent to UCLA and they recommended to go in and actually have surgery and take a biopsy of a nerve.  I was actually loosing my medical insurance due to a divorce and so the neurologist put me on doxepin. I have been taking this medication for 11 years now. Started at 10 ml and now currently taking 100ml. I still itch all the time and still feel bugs crawling on my skin but it's very mild now due to the meds. I actually feel somewhat human now. I still would like to know whats causing this?  Would like to know if anyone has my symptons?
My itching started about 5 years ago. I would walk to school during the winter and the longer I walked and the more my body got heated up I would start itching uncontrollably all over my body including my face. Then there would be little bumps over me that I guess are hives. This happens every winter in to the beginning of Spring. I can't workout because I can't get hot thats when I start itching and my skin gets flushed red. I also do not sweat and I even get the itching in my sleep when I dream about something strenous. It also happens when I get emotionally stressed, suprised, or angry. I can't get emotional without the itching affecting me. I went to the doctor and she told me to take over the counter Zyrtec because she thinks I might be allergic to the winter because of the point that I can't step into warm buildings without myself itching because of coming outside from the cold. The Zyrtec is not working and I need a solution to my problem because I can't even hold a job during the winter because of the itching problem. I haven't worked all winter and now its spring and the itching still isn't gone. I am 6'1" 185 pound black male. If someone has any kind of solutions that would be helpful to me I would be most grateful.
I am struggling with the itching problem al over my body. It started last week. I ahd shrimp and my lips selled that evening. i was never alergic (allergic) to shellfish before. I am stil not sure it is the cause. I began itching the next day. I began taking Benedryll as I was told to. I have had the problem al week. I went to the docor and all they said was continue with Benedryl. This morning I could not stand the itching. It was all over,,,in my hair, hands, estremitiet and eyes. My tongue selled up. I went to pharmacist as it is Sunday and there is nowhere to go other than Emergency. They alos said Benedryll. Is there any posibitity to be allergic to nuts from this. I am very worried as I read all the blogs and no one is finding a remedy. Please suggest anything as I feel I am itching my life away and I am in early 60's. Ann

You may have new allergies. If your tongue is swollen, I would consider going to the Emergency Room.
I found out the itching (feeling of bugs crawling under skin) can likely be caused by candida. I don't know who knows about it but it is farely common, but more so for women. Candida is usually contracted after coming off antibiotics. It can also have increased itchiness after eating (especially sugars and carbs). I also found tanning to be the only way to releive the symtom of itching, I don't know why but it does work.

Additional Reasons for Itchiness!

Itching after exercise can sometimes also be the salty sweat on skin.

Parasites for some people also usually after antibiotics.

Alergies (allergies) definately a posibility so yes, try antihistamines.

Another form I learn was formication which is sililarily related to drug addicts which is when the itching is created all in the mind.
Intense Itching, my friends think I have fleas it's THAT BAD.
I take birth control pills (not sleeping with dogs - no fleas),
Atenolol (aka Tenormin) , and Prevacid.
I've read itching can be a side effect of all of those so
i will eliminate one by one.  I haven't taken the Prevacid
for 2 days, so far still itching but maybe still in my system.
I will wait 2 weeks and then stop the Atenolol.   Luckily
for me , these drugs are not necessity, I just get
slight tachycardia without it.

We cause alot of our own problems.  I had microscopic blood in urine for a year and finally solved it.. I read it can be from excess calcium, well I didn't tell the doctor I was drinking like a gallon of milk a week and taking vitamins, he didn't ask either.  i also was starting to form tiny kidney stones from the excess calcium.  Everything went away when I stopped the overdose of calcium.  
let me start first with the description.i am a 22 yr old male..itching started a month n a half ago or so.thought it was the laundry detergent as per my roommate having it, my other roommate was itching too as well as my girlfriend.we changed the detergent and we still itch.tonight it was uncontrollable, i woke up at 315 am and have not stopped itching for almost an hour.i dont feel like my body is over heated, its most prevalent in my abdominal area, upper legs and thighs, i rarely drink at all, i do smoke though.its most common at night i may add, during the day its very slight and rarely occurs, but when i get to mine or my girlfriends apartment ( same apartment complex i may add) itching commences, not sure if time of day has anything to do with it.i put so much itching ointment on its not even funny, and it helped maybe initially but thats gone now.there are little red bumps on the left side of my abdominal area and since the itching has gone on for a small amount of time now my thighs have bruise marks from the itching.could it be the water for the same apartment complex? this does not happen when im at my parents or her parents house.or the air conditioning by chance???on my hip it looks like i busted two veins from itching. this is NOT GOOD!!!
I have a similar issue which I originally diagnosed as scabies.  The doctor misdiagnosed it but I know, I know from the pics I saw online weighed against my issues that it was scabies.  Even the Dermatologist misdiagnosed it as well.  However, I used the common medication Permethrin and it appeared to work but it has come back.  This time I do not see the normal appearance of scabies but now have the feeling that "bugs" are crawling on my upper body, around the buttocks and on my face and head.  On my face they are just annoying but on my body they actually itch intensely.

Now, I do drink a lot of beer which does sound related to the candida issue.  But, I also lift weights and cycle every day as well and I do not suffer from any of the issues of Candida except the itching.  I never ever get sick which I attribute to the aforementioned exercise regimen.  

I did also notice that tanning does seem to help.  

I think to all who share itching with their mates or have recently encountered it after a sexual experience it will likely be some sort of parasitic infection.  Now, if one reads post on scabies it is heard over and over that scabies are misdiagnosed by both GP and dermatologists.  I have read often as well about scabies and other parasites that have become immune to common pesticides and medications.  If all the other viruses and things have become resistant to antibiotics and such why would not haven't the parasitic vermin as well?  

Just trying to provide as much info as possible to help here!
Hi guys and girls.
I have been itching for weeks until I bled, ever since moving into a filthy house, so I was treated for scabies but I wasn't so sure - that was in March 2008.
Things settled down but in July 2008 it reared up again and I was again treated for scabies....it settled again until this morning.

It really is driving me round the twist....itching can be caused by many things, allergies, hormones, liver problems and I have also heard diabetes mentioned.
I think it is time for a blood test to try and establish what on earth is going on.

I find ice packs work really well.

Good luck everyone who has an itching problem, hope you get yourself sorted out.

I'm wondering if you guys with chronic itching should try regular detoxing ? I'm sure it would make your symptoms a little worse at first, but perhaps better after that ? I guess it couldn't really hurt to try.

One thing you could try is taking weekly baths with 4 cups Epsom Salt and 32 to 64 fluid ounces of Hydrogen Peroxide (3%, as found in grocery stores). Also add 2 Tablespoons of Ginger (fresh grated preferably, wrapped in a thin piece of cloth or in a tea ball)

Soak in warm water for at least 20 minutes.

P.S. ~ You may want to add baking soda to your bath water... probably at least 1/2 cup. If you try putting baking soda, mixed in with a little water on your mosquito bites... it helps with the itching.
Any advice at all I welcome it.   I have been itching for weeks and benadryl no longer works.  After 4 doctors I was just diagnosed with H-Pylori but the PREVPAC meds are doing nothing to help me and now my boyfriend is having the identical symptoms and was also diagnosed with H-Pylori.  Both of our doctors did not want to test us for H-Pylori since we are having atypical symptoms, it is usually stomach and ulcer pain.  We both just itcn non stop.   My meds are doing nothing and my doctor is clueless....

As mentioned in the other notes above I too feel like I have bugs crawling on me and it seemd to persist more at night then during the day.  Help please!  
I have been itching for over 3 months. It comes at all different times of the day. I have changed all soaps, and nothing helps. It happens all over, from my scalp to my the bottom of my feet and every thing in between. Inside my mouth, in my ear canals, neck, back, arms, legs, genital area. Benadryl seems to help, but it also knocks me out. I have set an appt with an allergist, I am praying for results. I just want to stop itching. it gets so bad sometimes that I cry. I feels like bugs crawling on me, and results in red rashes that quickly disapear.

I had almost identical symptoms to what you are describing above except it did not effect my head.   I was diagnosed by the 5th doctor I went to with scabies and one dose of permethrin cream 5%, knocked it out of me.   Please ask your doctor about it, for me it saved my sanity.    Also make sure that you closely follow the instructions and clean everything you have come in contact with such as your sheets, comfortor, chairs, car etc....  

best of luck, by the way the other 4 doctors all misdiagnosed me before I went to a dermatologist.
I have something that itches a lot too! its distracting and it makes my whole body tingle. I cant seem to stop itching it.. and I have this weird habit. It started from a chemical reaction. I'm a nail tech and was working with IBD gel and something happened with the gel and caused cracking and skin irritation, well one part of the skin on my fingers started peeling and cracking real badly so I have a habit of picking it well now I will try to heal it by putting vasaline or lotion or neosporin on it and it will heal the skin will then out of nowhere it will itch like crazy and I'll scratch it and the new, very dry, skin will break open and the process starts all over again, its beginning to get so raw that it doesnt even heal right anymore. what do I do?
are you stressed at all?
could that be the problem evolnieineg said it usually went away for the summer and ost people have off in the summer. could it be like a stress related probelm. and to babiboop54 put gloves on when working that might help from having it break out again. also put something on it to keep you from picking at it!!!!

My husband itches like this. He has liver disease. Not saying that is what you have. But the doctor suggested benadryk and it works a little for him. Bathes also help. Especially at night. Cause it keeps him awake he itches so much.

Hope you get better.
My itching got really bad in the winter, I suffer from psoriasis but this winter all of my skin including the psoriasis patches dried out. Then I was itching all night long and during the day all over my body, especially the neck which felt it was red raw. I was feeling almost hypothermically cold and then realised that I had a thyroxine deficiency. Of course the clever doctors told me it wasn't. As you get older your thyroxine levels drop anyway but for most people it's to a safe level like all the other hormones in the body. I insisted on a blood test and low and behold I had a thyroxine deficiency. After 2 weeks on throxine my dry skin started to get normal again (even better than before, soft like a baby's bum) and the itching stopped. Researching the net it seems that many doctors are completely clueless and can't read the test results properly. If you are at the lower end of the scale you may still need thyroxine. Check out the net for thyroid gland specialists and what they say. The other thing I noticed was that when I stopped adding salt to my food and didn't eat pork or red meat my itching subsided from the psoriasis patches as well.  Bacon really makes me itch! Hope this helps.
I'm not sure if this will help, but my sister and I have both gone through 2 pregnancies with severe - scratch-till-the-blood-comes-to-the-surface - itching.  She just suffered through her first pregnancy, then her new doctor said she was deficient in Vitamin K and gave her a pill - done deal!  I'm 4 months pregnant and it's starting again.  I'm itchy all over, but mainly my scalp, breasts and armpits.  After I get out of a hot bath... I have to scratch down from the top to bottom and the more fluid I retain (salty foods and further along in pregnancy - so more toxic) the worse the condition becomes.  It's worth a try - start eating foods high in Vitamin K.  I have been absolutely craving raw brocolli, mayo and olive oil... guess what - each is a source of vitamin K.  Kale is one of the highest.  Listen to your body... it's literally screaming for help.  A little prayer for sanity always helps too LOL. T
I also have extreme itching all over but seems to be related to eating any carbohydrate there is, but it is impossible to live without carbs. I have very dry skin naturally but I use extreme measures to moisturize. I have seen many doctors for 18 yrs and NOBODY has had the correct answer for what it is. I have had it since I was 12 after mono. I have been seeing a naturopath for 2 yrs and she is stumped also. I get vitamin injections through my naturopath monthly to avoid any deficiencies. What does help subside the itching is to tan in a tan booth every 3 days and I don't know why that helps. I get most of the itching on my legs and arms, but it still is everywhere on my body. Antihistamines do not work.

Help do you have any ideas?
I was having this problem for last 2-3 days and after going through so many forums and looking for an answer , for the first few days I took cortizone from duane reade and benadryl and cetrizine but no effect on my itching and then finally I was going through my medical box which I bought from India last month when I came here and found this medicine ( I am sure this is available in US too) Loratadine, I had no option but to take this medicine, I have heard this is tought medicine and very effective but it has side effects too but they are not too many,, looking at the good results and took the chance and today I am a happy,, had good nite sleep ( slept and at 9 and worke up 8 in the morning, complete nites sleep),, I have researched too much on this itching condition ( scratching all over, could not sleep for three days and was mad at myself that I am unable to find a solution and these doctors are useless,, he said just take bendryl and it actually did not help a bit),, sine I have tested this medicine on me,, and the results were awesome,, i will leave that all you to decide and if you have any questions,, you can ask e any questions you want
OMG! My wife and I have been suffering, and I mean SUFFERING, with this horrid itch for several years ('03). ALL the same syptoms (symptoms). Been thru & to Derms (4), blood test, all the above mentined meds and the Prestigious UCSF Derm Ctr. Noone has figured this out. Amazing!
The itching is intense!
Beyond Benydrl (eve) the only relief we've found is using Gold Bond 3 act'n (grn botl) during the day as needed. Combining the two has offered considerable relief.
A related discussion, Extreme Itching was started.
A related discussion, itching was started.
Guys try Reactine !!!!! but ask ur doc first  it helpd me a lot ............ I dont kno wha it could be i do eat fast food a lot & spicy food so i am gonna cut it out & see if it help .... I did go to cuba & was in the sun with out sunscrean  i notes on other post on google PPl that do tanning get this typ of itch but i dont tan ..... THIS IS DRIVEIN me crazyyyy it 4 am & i cant sleep .....
I have been suffering from 'extreme itching' since I was about 35...am 40 now.  Used to be only my left arm and now it is both.  I often scratch so much I draw blood so in the winter my arms are a mess!  

Mine always goes away come may and then comes back around sept/oct.  I live in Canada so of course dont have year round heat and am not eposed to the sun in the winter for obvious reasons.

Worse in the evenings but not specific to then

I work out every morning and this sweating does not cause any sort of reaction so its not heat or sweat related

Have switched detergents, soaps and lotions

I have tried many many lotions both over the counter and prescriptions from my dermatologist.  Nothing worked and my derm things I am crazy...my latest experiement is Reactin every day and sun tanning in tanning bed every other day.  So far i have been 4 days itch free!!!  I am not sure if its the tanning or the reactin.  I either must have some sort of seasonal allergy that the reactin is helping with or its the tanning....i am leaning towards the tanning that is helping the most.  I will elimiate one or the other in a few weeks to see which one is helping and repost in the efforts it will help someone.
whl my experiened like while i hv the same symtomps wt u hv ppl bfre i got to this symptoms i hv been suffered frm some Red types of painful bolils came out throughout my skin after tht i hv consulted Doctor  bt it does not work after tht i consulted to Homeopathic Doctor & he got to knw tht  i hv blood infection so he hs prescribed me some medicines after tht i took tht all medicines wt he hs given me while result was gud bt my painfull boils were grown up & frm all the boils of my skin streched out & frm there came out some boils liquid wth blood,tht was so horrible! After tht i left fr my hometown bcuz i hav been suffered frm  this itchin problem still whl After tht i hv consulted Aleopathic & did my blood test where Dr fond i might hv sugar !!So he has givn Another blood test fr purpose to see m i really infected wth sugar or nt!!while i did thid test the result was negative my sugar level wz normal accordingly!!!
Whle these boils of my  skin hv gone bt they left some black circle like tht & Doctor adviced me tht i should talk low cholestrol food & also told me it would better fr me to not take non-vegetables food like chicken etc!!
whl these boils were gone But i hv this same itchin sensation on my back skin!! I hv a fear ofthose boils if they ill grow up again !!so is here any 1 who can give a specific suggestion of my symptoms??????(whl I already chkd up to three Doctors bt they could nt able to cure my itching problem!)
While i frgt  to say somethin tht i feel this itchin Sensation whenever i might walk,run,& eat some hot foods like Chickens etc!!
So i m still waitin fr a specific Suggestion of ma itchin problem!!!!!
my brother has this weird thing going on. He could be in a store shopping with me, and he says he will start getting hot (an maybe sweaty), so he instantly starts itching all over his body. I mean he is scratching like a mad man and i get worried. He has not yet seen a doctor, but i was hoping someone on here can help......
well I  read what every one said and I started to inch.  I itch all the time, I don't have to do anything but it comes on real hard when i take a hot shower, it makes me don't want to take one. i have a wife but she doesn't itch so I don't think it is scabies. I will went to my dr. and he told me benedryl, i guess all the drs. do not have a clue but I will go back and get some tests done.
It might sound strange but Im so glad I found this forum. I have the exact same problem (20).. At first Reading the earlier comments I thought mine was slightly different and thought I was crazy as my thoughts can trigger the extreme itchiness.. Like everyone else exercise, anxiety, embarrassment etc are all causes. Also thought it was a psychological thing that I could overcome, it's proving increasingly more difficult to deal with. It's really stressing my life find it hard to do exercise or socialise it's very embarrasing.  

I haven't seen a doctor because I really don't understand how such itchiness is not visible on the skins surface. I'm going to bookmark this page for continuous reference. Hopefully we'll all find answers..
Like most of you, I haven't been able to find a solution to my itchiness (or even find out what exactly it is).

With that being said, let me first describe the kind of itching that I have. It feels almost prickly and beneath the surface of the skin and I have no visible symptoms whatsoever. It also happens even when I keep moisturized, so it's likely not dryness related.

It's triggered by:

- Anxiety; the itch goes away immediately once I calm down
- Body heat rising too much; the itch goes away if I cool down in any way
- Exercise; the itch also goes away if I cool down
- Spicy foods; the itch is mild and confined to my head and goes away when I'm done eating
- Hot showers; the itch goes away immediately after switching to cold water

So in all cases, the itching seems to be triggered by a rise in my body temperature, and in all cases, the itch goes away if I cool down.

If I don't do anything about the itching, the longest it will last is maybe 10 minutes and then it'll automatically go away.

I've had blood work done and the doctors can't find anything wrong with me. I've also been to a neurologist who couldn't diagnose my problem.

Allergy meds don't work for me.

I'm tired of this itching, so I'm guessing that if it's a hypersensitivity to something, if I trigger it as often as I can and for as long as I can, I might get my body used to it and it might go away. It's a stretch, but at this point I'm desperate. So I'm going to start exercising regularly and whenever I get the chance, I'm going to go and sit in a sauna for as long as possible. And I'll keep doing this for a month and we'll see if this condition persists.

I have my fingers crossed that my plan will work!
so wots the freaking solution??????????
I have been battling the constant itching for about 6 months. I went to a dermatologist and she treated me for Scabies. I still had the itching problem. She took a biopsy of my skin and nothing abnormal showed up. She recently took me off all my meds including all the vitamins I was taking. She was thinking maybe it is an allergic reaction to something. Nope still itching. The only thing that really helped was predisone, but it made me gain alot of weight and was only a temporary fix. I finally went in for a physical and told my primary doctor about the itching which is causing hive like sores on my body. My blood work came back and it showed a possible problem  with my kidneys. Next they sent me to have a sonagram of my kidneys and it came back stating Mild increased echogenicity seen bilaterally, reflective of underlying medical renal disease. Which means I may have Kidney disease. I am now scheduled to see a Urologist who will do more test. I have searched the internet and one of the symptoms of Kidney disease is ITCHING. I am praying it will be something that can be fixed. My comment is if you have severe ITCHING and can not find the cause go and have a physical and have them check your kidneys and liver.
A related discussion, I have been extremly itchy for the past five years was started.
My daughter is 9 year old has extreme itching every where started when she was three. Have try everything. Been to doctor have use every cream on market including steroid cream and oral med. She goes back to scratching about 2 weeks later any suggestion on something that might control this.
A related discussion, Severe genital itch with no answers was started.
A related discussion, Itching Continues was started.
I wanted to thank everyone on here. I thought I was suffering alone with this pain. I cant write much because anyone who is experiencing this knows that thinking and talking about it brings it on. It almost seems unfair that something like this exist, since it destroys your spirit and controls every move & decision you make. I can make it through the day with a cold wet rag filled with ice and taking probably more benadryl than I should. Lately the itching has starting to occur while I'm sleep, as if I can't even escape the pain in my dreams. Using hand lotions seems to make the symptoms worse. I've stopped all together, but now hands are getting too chapped to the point of bleeding. Can anyone suggest a brand of lotion to use? For anyone whose family and friends (even though they mean well) says it just in your head, please do your best to ignore it. The triggers may be psychological, but the pain is 200% physical. This may be a stretch, and really just looking for something to explain why, but living in the southern U.S. we have "cicadas" (similar to locust) which are only seen every 13 or 17 years. When the cicadas came out last year, my symptoms began again, and when I go back 13 years prior is when I first started these symptoms Thoughts????
   I've been itching for the last 7 years.  But I also have "threads" that come out of the itchy sores on  my back.  I was bitten by a kissing bug and have been itching ever since.  I have tried everything and even antiparasite lotions, potions, and creams.  I use Gold Bond anti itch lotion which seems to help the most.  Lanacane and the others are no help at all. -  
     When I itch I use a boars hair bath brush from Walmart to scratch with.  It calms it down better than using my fingernails.
     It is possible that I was bitten by a kissing bug while I was in the Caribbean.   I think that a lot of us get bitten by bugs while we vacation in the tropics - Bahamas, Haiti, Panama, Florida, or Louisiana - hot steamy areas.  And I think that we don't put any gravity behind it until years later when the "bugs" wake up and start biting.
  Any thoughts?
thank you for the reply, and I'll check on the gold bond lotion. I've started wearing "Hanes X Temp" undershirts; they seem to help with the heat, but not other stress triggers.
  I've been using coconut oil instead of lotion on the dry skin.  it does help some... but I found that a beeswax/jojoba oil lotion from Paradise Potpourri works better.   it does not stop the itch - only the dry skin.