Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Extreme pain urinating after sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Extreme pain urinating after sex

The background, I've been checked for all of the STI's, I have HPV, a very irregular cycle, and a history of UTIs, but I don't get them as long as I use the restroom or hyper dose on cranberry after sex. Other then that, I'm a very healthy 23 year old female.
I've been with the same guy for 4 years. about 2 years in, it would get uncomfortable/painful urinating after sex, like having a UTI, and if I didn't go, I would get one. some times were better then others, but the average was getting progressively more painful. Then about a year after this started, it got excruciating, worse then a UTI, and that's the only way it is, never a time when it would give me a break and hurt less. I like to think I'm a tough girl, but this pain makes me cry. It NEVER hurts, unless I just had sex. If I wait a while.. half hour or so, it wont hurt at all, but I'll get a UTI.

We tried different things to make sure nothing was getting in there, showering right before, avoiding too much aggression, not being on the bed (lint? ha), just anything we could to make sure nothing was going in, or causing scratching.

We went through a period of not having sex much for a couple months. I was totally lacking sex drive and attraction, wasn't into it, just let him do his thing, and it wouldn't hurt (which I figure is why I lost my drive, along with stress form school and home life). But now I'm into it again, and three times in, from the huge break, it's back to just as bad as it was. My doctor doesn't seem to understand how painful it is. And now I don't have insurance anymore, so I can't as easily go in to get checked out.

Thank you for ANY ideas :-)
-Jenny
1 Comment
Hi Jenny, I can definitely relate.  Not exactly the same situation, but pretty similar.  

I was having extreme pain from urinating, especially after sex (it felt almost exactly like a UTI, even when I didn't actually have a UTI).  I went to a kidney specialist, and found out that when you get UTI's very frequently (for me they used to be ~1/month with a kidney infection ~2-3/year), you can actually damage the lining of the bladder and urethra (it was explained to me like a skinned knee...).  This causes you to have UTI-like pain, even when you don't have a UTI (it is very unlikely that immediately after sex you already have a UTI, but it is probably irritated).  I went on a pretty extensive diet overhaul in order to heal the lining of my bladder, which started really paying off in about a month, with lasting results.  

TONS of antioxidants and whole grains, staying away from everything acidic and caffeinated, drinking lots of water every day, etc, etc.  The goal is to keep the pH of your urine balanced, and your urine thin so that it doesn't irritate your bladder, and the lining can begin to heal.  I also took a "BiCarb" pill, which helped the most.  You take it in the morning (well before breakfast) and at night before bed.  It helps noticeably with burning-type urinary pain.  I would try diet stuff, especially if you don't have insurance.  It's probably better than anything they can give you or do at the doctor, and is as easy as eating healthy and taking a couple pills (they are very cheap OTC supplements as well).  

Best of luck!!  It can be really frustrating, but hopefully you will start to feel better soon!!