UNDIAGNOSED SYMPTOMS
COMMUNITY
Extreme right side pain under my rib cage
by Angie_6, Nov 24, 2006
I had Pancreatits due to a bad Gall Bladder a year ago.  Since then I have been pretty healthy until recently.  About 8 weeks ago I started getting these severe pains in my right side under my rib cage.  When I take a deep breath it is like someone is stabbing me.  I have no fever and this pain is re-occuring.  Some days I am fine, others I can't move.  I have been to the emergency room twice.  The first time they told me my liver enzymes were real high but there was no sign of pancreatits and they sent me home with pain killers.  The second time they did and ultra sound, found nothing, and again sent me home on pain killers.  Has this happened to anyone?  I am scared but tired of going to the ER to be told to go home and rest.
Member Comments (206)
by Kalio1, Nov 25, 2006
I think you need further evaluation of your liver, preferably by a liver specialist ( Heptologist)
Have you been tested for hepatitis b and c?
Part of the problem is using the ER for this, you really need a doctor who can look into it more thoroughly.
by Betseyblue, Nov 27, 2006
Have you had your gall bladder taken out? Theres is a thing called Post Cholecstecstamy (sorry for the bad spelling) Syndrome. Do you have issues with eating and having to run to the bathroom right after? You may want them to check you on that. I had mine removed over 2yrs ago, and had a sharp stabbing pain under my right side ribcage and that is what they told me it was. Also, take into consideration that it's possible if you have lifted anything lately that sometimes, we bruise whats called like the skeletal tissue in our ribcages. I had that happen once, but it only hurt when I breathed in. Hope that helped. Goodluck.
by GPG72, Dec 03, 2006
Yes, I have had this happen to me...now as a matter of fact and about the same exact time last year.  Last year I was working in a Data Center dealing with servers...some very heavy, so at that time I thought, yes, I had bruised some muscles lifting and installing a server.  I have a two year old (then she was 1) and I bent over to pick her up out of the car to take her to daycare and got stuck in a bending position and couldnt breath.  Before that it had started on the right side and spread to the rest of my ribcage and I was stiff as a ironing board for a week.  Then slowly, it went away.

This time that it has happened, it seems to want to stay on the right side under my ribcage...I'm forced to take small breaths because when I take deap breaths, it feels like my right lung is being crushed by my rib cage.
by painintheright, Aug 19, 2007
I have similar pain, but my pain is constant and dull. It does not seem to be affected by food, although I find myself bloated most of the time and I can't seem to burp when I feel the need to.
The pain becomes completely unbearable when I run, it feel like something just under the lowest right rib is about to burst or tear if I don't stop running.  I had the whole battery of tests a year ago and the gallbladder, kidneys and abdomen all checked out. I don't have nausea, I have not lost my appetite, and I don't have a fever. The only thing I can say is that this problem only took front and center attention after my appendectomy.
by gleesy, Oct 01, 2007
i have the same pain under my right ribcage.. It becomes unbearable after 10/15 mins of running, whether i have eaten or not... Other than that am in good physical shape, need to know it just a simple thing, because its been going on for over a year. Doesn't occur at any other time than at peak exertion (soccer training fine)???
by Fatmax41, Oct 15, 2007
i have lower right pain like over my hip. It stays for and hour and goes away. i dont know what it is? do any of you know. please help me!! i hurts reallllyy bad when i breath, i have to breath little by little because if i take deep breths it hurt very bad. I dont know what it is. i researched and found nothing. mabey you know?
by Rubitooz, Dec 12, 2007
I have exactly the same pain as Angie_6 and painintheright posting. I"m at the stage where i feel a dull pain everyday now but when i run it's almost like the worst 'stitch' you could imagine and it takes a couple of hours to go away.  I'm going to my doctor next week and hopefully get some answers - have you found any yet?
by lauren81, Dec 13, 2007
Angie,

I would also really recommend seeing a Hepatologist (Liver specialist). I currently have a tumor in my liver, and it causes similar pains by my ribs and up into my chest. Supposedly, it is due to the tumor stretching the liver "capsule" (the casing that protects your liver.) Obviously, I am NOT saying that you have a tumor, but the fact that your liver enzymes were high is a concern best looked at by either a gastronenterologist who specializes in liver disease, or by a hepatologist. Good luck!
by jennysweekly, Dec 18, 2007
My pain is in the upper right rib cage and behind right breast. Hurts like broken ribs or tearing and burning just under ribcage.  Laying on the painful side is more comfortable than any. Hurts too bad to breath laying on back.  Really hurts front and back right side boob and ribs when i cough..thats the worse part..coughing.