Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Extreme right side pain under my rib cage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Viewing 201-208 comments:
Hopefully this will help you and your dad.  My two daughters and their father have had the exact same symptoms.  They went to an Endocrinologist and had an endoscopy... I would go to your regular Dr first and ask for a blood test for celiac disease (gluten allergy).  Whenever they would eat, the pain was intense.  They also had problems with constipation.  All three of them tested positive for celiac disease.  They have had to change their diets.  It's hard at first, but you can receive a lot of help from the internet.  There are also cookbooks just for celiac.  All three have been MUCH BETTER.  Let me know if this helps.  Oh yah, one more thing... don't let the word "disease" scare you.  It really is "just" a matter of diet... cutting gluten out of your diet.  Good luck.
It is all about your digestive tract. It needs you to give it enzymes because it does not produce enough naturally (it does not produce water either). A diet of modern sterilized foods does not seem to contain enough enzymes to digest themselves properly. I have experimented on myself and found yogurt and kimchi to work (not together). For the digestive bit anyways. I still have not found anything to work on eating to much butter everyday yet.
Try a muscle relaxant or xanax/atavan, etc. -I've gone to the ER as well a few times for this sharp pain under my right rib, and every breath i take it feels like my lungs and being jabbed. It is sudden usually, but the other day it built up over 4 days. They gave me delaudid and atavan (antianxiety, relaxant) in IV form and it went away. it came back. I took a xanax which I take for my muscle spasms when they get bad (i have cfs and fibromyalgia and a slew of other autoimmune. I slept all day with a full xanax. I woke up and i stretched. I had no muscle spasms and the pain in my side was goen and I could take deep breaths. Try a muscle relaxant or anti anxiety that has a muscle relaxant component. I don't get them with anxiety, but it seems to be a build up of muscle tension. Hope this helps.
Im having the exact pain presently could you tell me is it still going on with you...i had this pain for three days under my boob hurts on the right side mid section of the rib
ok i am having the same experiencing, pain in the right side it hurts to cough or laugh or anything.. went to the emergecy room and they said that they think they seen some fuild behind my liver but I can't get into see the doctor for another 2 weeks.. It kind of worries me, the not knowing why i am having all of this pain, this pain has been off and on for the last 6 years
What does posting stuff have to do with not having insurance. Some people have really bad pains and are hurting. If it was you, you might understand just saying.
I had hepatitis  A and E just two months ago and now i'm experiencing a lil bit pain in my lower right two ribs... :/ what it could be? can someone help? i think it is due to hepatitis...
i have the same problem! No one seems to know what it is and it sounds like such a pain to go through costly medical testing. i have been getting these pains every time i run for the past year and a half and i run at least three times a week. it never ends! i would think it was a stitch, but why would it only happen on the right side and why does it happen every time without fail, even though i am a regular runner?!
HIATAL HERNIA
Please do a serch on HIATAL HERNIA. I reacently started getting this pains and they are terrible. I do not speak fluent english to explain thats why i just typed the name. I truly hope it may help someone.  I am not a doctor i was just doing reaserch for myself since this pain is coming around more often.
Help!!  I have been to two drs. so far.  I have a stabbing pain in the right side of my back whenever I am up on my feet for a while. I noticed this a couple of months ago when I was on my two mile walk, by the time I was finishing up, my right back side felt like a knife was gouging me. Also I feel like gas or air is trying to escape through my throat as I breath so I make myself belch to relieve the pressure. Also It hurts to lay on my right side at night.  The dr. is currently treating my for skelitor and muscle soreness, but the meds ar not helping. I have had a endoscopy and gullbladder (gallbladder) ultrasound and they found nothing. Any advice???????
I think the pain I have as well is muscle/bone related. It usually comes on with some stretching movement I make and  goes away after a few minutes, but is sticking around this time. Thanks for sharing.
I fell down stairs cracked 2 ribs. Hurts Sooo bad when coughing,sneezing...anything. Reallly hurts behind them too. Thinking ultrasound should be done?
I believe you might have gas in your larger or smaller intestine. I will slowly relieve itself after a why. To make sure if you actually have gas pains, push in that areas and see if there is a gurgling noise and release of pain. Then you will be fine after a couple forceful pushes. I am having pains under my right ribcage, but no surgery to diagnose the problem. Although, I am having gas pains, but it is in the wrong place for gas pains. The only affective daily activities that it triggers pain with is breathing and sleeping. So I have difficulty getting the average 8 hour sleep before I cleave to work at 6:53am.

It's not much to speak of, bu the pain is slowly increasing. Some days it's not as bad as others, body moving that one area creates a dull pain. It all started on Monday, and it is currently now Wednesday, which might go on through the week. On the 5 day, I will go into the doctors before panicking. My mother said that I must leave it for a few days before issuing a visit to a professional.  So I am going to hold it off by the 5th day, as said. If anyone has experienced this pain before, as in every other comment/reply, please diagnose my issues.

My mother gave me a few suggestions on what it might be, Growing Pains, Gas Pains, or Misc. Which I would have to go with Misc.
A related discussion, Constant pain in lower right rib area was started.
Out of all, this sounds most common to my symptoms, this was posted in 2007.....what has come of your symptoms since?
it sounds like you have an esophageal spasm.  Ask your doctor for a prescription for Dicyclomine.  It stops the spasms pretty quickly and opens up so you can eat comfortably. - I get it from time to time and not as often as I used to. -  Sometimes I had to spit out the food I had in my mouth or try to throw it up because my esophagus closed.... the Dicyclomine worked almost immediately.
Am going to the gastroenterologist July 1.  I hope he can help me with this pain URQ.  I had it so bad I gave in to a Transoral fundoplication surgery.  I still have the pain - so am thinking I might have adhesions from the gall bladder surgery I had years ago.  Need to find out as this pain is killing me!
burning pressure in chest with a struck pill feel in rib cage under right breast, sometimes starts with a brain freeze type head ache causing eyes (like sinus) and teeth/jaw to hurt then in chest. has last sometimes all day or nite  don't eat dairy or grains for food allergy had blood, urine, ultra sound, Nothing!! started after having cyst removed from head, had reaction to anesthisea put me on striods still itch sometimes not as bad now this 2 weeks now tired of hurting HELP!!!!
I am having pain in my upper right rib cage area under the breast. I have it for more than 10 days now. When I'm still in pain fpr the third day, I went to one doctor and he asked me to undergo ECG and x-ray but it turns out normal so he said maybe its only muscle pain. And today, my 11th day in pain, Ive gone for 2nd opinion and I went to other doctor for check-up, the doctor prescribed for me Voltarine tablet and ointment and do a hot compress every 3-4 hours. She said it is mainly caused by direct ac (air-condition) on that side of my body so I got this they called rib inflamation (inflammation).
I have the exact same pain as jennysweekly it comes and goes though and It hurts to breath hard leaving me to take little breaths at a time, Hurts when I cough or try and speak my normal speaking tone and I just had a baby so im not sure if im being to dramatic by going to the hospital because at tine i cant handle the pain
Hi I am 61 years old female, I had my Gall Bladder several years ago, I have just started having this stabbing pain right under my right breast it is has been getting to the point that breathing is somewhat labored. I do have Hep C The pain so severe that it feels like someone sticking a knife through me I am very worried The doctor here at the nursing home doesn't belive me and in the mean time the pain keeps getting worse day after day what can I do?
I had been suffering the exact same symptoms for about 4 - 5yrs, had loads of tests done, ultra sound, endoscopy, blood test etc all normal! but I was told it was reflux, the medication prescribed did nothing. I recently found a gall bladder detox online and gave it a go and it worked, no more symptoms. Lay on your right hand side at about 7pm and drink over the course of about 2 hours 1 pint of extra virgin olive oil and half a pint of freshly squeezed lemon juice. Remain on your right side all night, oh yes and fast from the previous evening before drinking the oil and juice. this is the gross bit, put some netting across the toilet so you can see what comes out.....I passed in the region of 30 pea sized stones, green in colour and some black ones, I read that because these stones had not calcified then they wouldn't show on an ultra sound. With that amount of stones crammed into my gall bladder there is no wonder I always felt bloated. This 100% works. You will feel pretty ill through the night of course but its worth it. you must remain on your right side all night.  let me know how you get on
I've had similar pain under my right rib cage,I'm only young and I haven't had my appendix taken out,my liver is healthy and there isn't anything wrong with my bladder, but every now and then I get a very strong pain under my ribcage, meaning I can't move and have difficulties breathing. I've been told it could be growing pains, but I wasn't sure they could cause that much pain. It feels as though something has been stabbed into me, surely a growing pain can't hurt as much as this pain as growing pains have more of an ache to them, whereas this is short but extremely painful;it is definitely not an ache or growing pain. Does anyone else get the same?
I was checking my medical files and found that I had a CT scan of my abdomen in 2001.  Just had another one last week.  This pain in my side Upper Right Quadrant - I think it's my liver as I have iron-overload disease (Hemochromatosis) - but doctor thinks it's my kidney.  Will find out later this week who's right.     :/
Thank you, I will try this methods because going back and forth to the ER has proven to be fruitless. All the test given shows nothing.
hello, just signed up for this med-help page. I am having severe pain under my right ribs, towards my back. If I stretch m body it eases the pain. I just had a sonogram of abdomen and all was supposed to look good. I am starting to wonder. Food does't irritate it, none of the things I have read, I really don't even know where to get help, if my dr don't know, who the heck knows, ya know lol  I have wondered about my kidney, I guess I can read up on it. thanks to who ever can or wants to post.
My results of the CT scan came back with dx of Hiatal Hernia.... how can such a small thing cause so much pain?  I was relieved that it wasn't my liver or kidney.  

The doctor put me on Dexilant and it helps quite a bit until bedtime.  then the pain comes back.  At least I can eat!!
I bearly started this pain.. 2 days ago. I was walking and drinking water.. so at first i thought "oh its just the water that is making my right side rib hurt" since that usually happens when you drink and run/walk.. so i ignored it.. later on when i got home my pain started getting worse.. it went up to my neck on the right side as well.. everytime i take a deep breathe it feels horrible.. it feels like im getting my insides torn apart.. it was so bad it made me cry.. i then just layed down on my right side  and kind of curled up and it wouldnt hurt as much.. then night time came.. i slept.. i got no more pain through out the night but what i did feel was discomfort on the same spot under my rib cage.. so in the morning i woke up and felt fine besides the discomfort.. then i ate fried fish and rice.. while eating half way through.. the pain came back.. it started little by little hurting moreand more.. till it mademe cry again.. i couldnt stand straight because it hurted so bad! So i just went to the hospital they found nothing.. its irritating how they didnt find anything because i know there is something wrong... and today is the 3rd day! And i wokeup with discomfort again.. i dont know whats going on!!!!:((
I am going to tell you what is wrong with you, but you will not want to believe it.

I have been where you are, and I let it run away with me.  You are manifesting signs of anxiety.  THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE PAIN/DISCOMFORT IS ALL IN YOUR HEAD.  It is not.  The physical changes to nerve, muscle and tendon are VERY real.  You are associating this pain with eating, but this is just when it first manifested.  Mine was getting out of bed in the morning.  It was just there where it was not the night before. Your fear of the symptoms is now manifesting its own fear, the fear of "Oh, my God" or "What if"?

You may be thinking, I have nothing to be worried or stressed about, but we all do as humans.  Sometimes it is big things and sometimes it is build up of small things of daily life.  It adds up, and if you are a sensitive person, you may be effected more easily, and your side may be where you hold your tension.  

If you have been checked out by doctors, and no doubt you will be back to more, please think of what I have written.  Then, get help with the anxiety, which CAUSES real physical symptoms, same as someone who gets tension headaches or whose shoulders are sore.

I am not doctor, but I have seen this happen to friends, too, and they go to the doctors, get imaging, have blood work done, and they are fine, but still in pain/discomfort.  Then I tell them my story.  The pain is distressing but not dangerous.  Once they accept that they are anxious and stressed, and most of us know it at some level if we are, they are reassured and the pain disappears gradually.  You may want to visit an bona fide site that is dedicated to helping people understand this.  It is Anxiety Centre.  

Good luck.  
my pain sound kind of like that but I also have pain in my back by my shoulder blade.twisting sometime hurts sitting and sometimes walk does also
If you have had everything else checked out (heart, lungs, liver, etc.) you might be able to safely assume that your are suffering from costochondritis, which is an inflammation of the rib cartilage. It can cause anything from a dull ache to a sharp pain, which is often aggravated by movement, coughing, breathing - or by pressure to the rib area. Take ibuprofen or other nsaids (be carful if you have stomach problems), stop any heavy lifting and/or exercise for awhile, use heat or cold (or alternate). It is not uncommon and can also occur post surgery, so it is nothing to panic about. If it is particularly severe, debilitating, persistant or interfering with your ability to do your job, your doctor can prescribe something stronger (nsaids, prednisone & pain killers).
Good answer. I have recently developed a similar pain - two months post gall bladder (open) surgery. I think it is costochondritis (rib cartilage inflammation) but will check with my surgeon in case he has some helpful suggestions. I was still dealing with some incision pain (burning, stabbing, itching) when this new thing happened. I didn't expect the discomfort to hang on so long, because otherwise I recovered well (ie energy-wise, ability to eat anything etc)  Weirdly enough my husband developed a similar pain a week or so before me, though his was probably due to lifting heavy musical equipment for a new steady job he started. Really felt silly getting the same thing at the same time! (He had all kinds of tests to eliminate the possibility of gall bladder, heart, lung and other issues!) So I think we will both survive but it is very uncomfortable!!  
I'm 16 and under my right rib I get a sharp pain. I went for a run today and it killed me when I was running even more so when I stopped. When I stopped I bent over and it felt like someone was stabbing me in my back and right under my right rib. Does anyone know what It is? I've been to doctor after doctor and they say all the test come back fine. I'm an athletic person so not being about to do sports is really bothering & when this pain started I was not playing any sports. Any ideas on how to help or even what this is?
  Hello again.  I was reading about reflux and found that some people don't make enough acid and it forces the liver, gallbladder (if you still have one) to put out acid too much too late.  So I have started taking Betaine Hydrochloric acid capsules with the first bite of my meals.  No reflux/GERD!  It is not relieving all my indigestion and heartburn, but it is helping a great deal.
     Don't take the Hydrochloric acid (Hcl) on an empty stomach!!  Hurts like the dickens!
Hi all, I just wanted to let you all know that I thought the worst and it wasn't going away. It hurt so bad at times I couldn't move. I had exact symptoms mist all of you are describing. All it was were two ribs that were out of place. Before going to the er in a panic, go see a chiropractor. He will feel your organs and see if they are tender before checking musculoskeletal. If it is your gallbladder or liver, chiro won't help and he will advise you to go for further veal with your regular dr. But if it isn't and is just a rib out, you need a chiro to fix it and tell u what to do for simple home care thereby avoiding costly and hazardous testing such as a ct scan which exposes you to radiation. You also won't have to go through the and worry of waiting for labs to come back. It's taken 2 adjustments and 2 massages for me, along with icing it to get all the inflammation out of the area so the joint capsules can re strengthen, and now I know I'm ok and I feel so much better! It was much easier to rule that out first. I suggest you look into it because there are nerve roots that are in the exact area that if a rob or ribs are even the slightest bit out, the nerve irritation will cause so many symptoms that radiate and refer pain to other areas and until you fix the problem, those sensitive nerves that come out of your spine will continue to be bothered in those areas. The sad part is, no internal medicine doctor will assess that or fix it for you and your left to chance and pay for no answers. Without getting the adjustment you will continue to suffer and pollute your body with pain pills and your body will stay in a state of stress affecting sleep concentration and other systems. I had to share because Im glad I got my answer and I feel so bad for anyone suffering these symptoms. It was even affecting my digestion with burping, gas, irregularity, bloating, etc. your nerves tell your body what to do so it all makes sense now....they are the life force. Good luck everyone!
I was just on our computer almost midnight and I had an extreme pain attack at the base and just under my right rib cage.  I doubled over and started thinking about what I should do to stop this pain.  I could not straighten up it hurt that much!  I also could not talk for a few minutes, just moans, worrying my wife. It felt like someone had just stabbed my there and was twisting the knife and it burned like it was on fire.  I went to the fridge, grabbed a bottle of cold water, ran to the bedroom, grabbed my Prilosec & other stomach meds and took them quickly(only my correct dosage). The pain started to get less and about 20/30 minutes it had mostly gone. It really scared me.   I had a cervical epidural steroid injection earlier this same day about 9:30am for pain. I am treated for constant pain in my neck,  shoulders and lumbar spine at a local hospital pain clinic. I go every month because of the constant pain, to get examined and pick up my pain meds. I have had 15 ruptured disks in my spine so far and 4 of the lumbar disks are ruptured now.  I also had stomach, intestinal and colon problems. Oh, I also have a fatty liver from heavy drinking when I was younger. I very seldom drink and when I do it is in very small amounts about 5 or 6 times per year or less. I quit smoking over 11 years ago, lost @ 60 lbs and now my body wants to self distruct?  Go figure. My doctors do not seem interested in my fatty liver but it has been worrying me ever since I was diagnosed . I had my gall bladder removed in 3/2001 which was one of the 16 surgeries I have had. I am 66, 6', and 210 lbs on my way down to 190 lbs. I have had stomach ulcers(almost fatal  in 1986), peptic ulcer disease, IBS, diverticulosis, spastic esophagus, parts of my colon/intestines are twisted(per my last colonoscopy), have had polyps removed from my colon a few times. Colon/rectal cancer runs in my family. I am no stranger to pain but this episode tonight was one of the worst I have ever had. It was completely out of control and that scares me.  I am open to suggestions.............. Sorry about the length.    
I feel that you should try to eat lots of leafy green veggies..salads of say lettuce spinach tomatoes,celery slivers of peppers,cucumber,radish, fine slivered carrott, purple cabbage,..use a non oil salad dressing, like lime juice onion  maple sugar or similar...no dairy..no grains..no meat... no sugar..buy a juicer make your self some..radish carrott juice about a pint 2x day 1/4 radish to 3/4 carrott.. try cucumber juice... if you feel the need to eat other than veggies..try a nice vegetable soup. eat this for at least 2 weeks to 3  months see if you fell better..you will be well on your way to getting well! I gaurantee it!
I have had this pain since 2004. I had my gall bladder removed prior to going to Iraq. The pain was gone for about 6 months, then it returned. I don't have it all the time, just periodically,(only when I am sitting). When the pain hits, I can stretch backward and press on the point where the pain is, (just under the center of the my right rib cage) and it feels bruised. I have had MRIs, Ultrasounds, Blood work, X Rays, and just about every other test that you can imagine. My doctors are still working on the problem. Does anyone else have the bruising feeling when pressing on the location of the pain?
I will make a suggestion  that has been posted a few times in this long thread, and that is the pain, sometimes called "post gallbladder syndrome" seems to effect, if you have read the posts, people with and without gallbladders, and that is, for the vast majority, this is an anxiety problem, even if they can't see it.  Their posts reflect anxiety.

READ CAREFULLY: it does not mean the pain is not real.  Your muscles react to stress in the form of "fight or flight" and tighten and cause pain.  I'm sure as a vet you know about "fight or flight", and the physical changes in a body and MIND.  

I had this.  Nobody knew what it was.  Finally I did find out and closely examined how I was living.  I had been having faulty reactions to stress y entire life, with various strange symptoms since childhood.

Mine too disappeared.  When?  When I was totally occupied with another situation that took me outside the hyper attention I was paying to my bodily symptoms. When did yours disappear?   When you were totally committed to your other soldiers in Iraq?  When you were involved with work? Family? Pay attention to when it returns.  Is it after a stressful event?  

Anxiety produces real physical symptoms.  It does not mean a person is "crazy", but a victim on normal everyday -- and in your case, not so everyday-- stresses.  Take a look at Anxietycentre *******.  Look at the list of physical symptoms.  You will find yours pretty much described.

Good luck, and thank you.
I have pain under my right rib that is constant, it's with me all the time, and have had it for nearly 7 years. Over the years, it has come and gone, sometimes lasting for months, then disappears for months. Lately I've had it for several months, and I'm also having some digestion problems too.

When I lay down to sleep, it subsides, because I'm not putting any pressure on that area. I can feel it when I turn to sleep on my sides. When I sit on the sofa, the pain is the strongest, but again, not severe or crushing pain, it's subtle. It feels like something is pushing into the bottom of my right rib cage, never on the left side. It feels like something under my rib cage is swollen and pressing into the rib. I sometimes feel short of breath from it but perhaps it's an anxiety reaction to the pain.

Sitting seems to apply pressure to the area, because when I stand up or stretch my abdomen out, so I'm not bent over, the pain lessens. And again, the pain is subtle but constant.

My doctor looks at me like I'm imagining the pain. Well not really but that's how it feels.

I have a dog. He pulls a lot. I use my right hand to hold onto his leash. I am wondering if you or any of the others on here also have a dog that pulls,  I read somewhere that a pulled or over-strained muscle in that area can give similar pain.

I really hope one of us can figure this out because the level of discomfort makes it difficult to stay seated.

Again, no other symptoms except for the ones I have described above. And recently I am having digestion problems and it's unknown if the two are related, but in the seven years I've had this, no digestive problems, so I am assuming that they are not related.

I too have had CT, 2 ultrasounds, and nothing was found.  
Hi, do you have a dog that pulls? Not a strange question, although it might seem. I read somewhere that an over-strained muscle in that area, can cause similar pain. I've had this pain for about 7 years, and can't imagine having it for 15.

I am trying to cover every possibility so am checking to see if this might resound with you?

Thank you.
i have a discomfort feeling around my right side and under my rib cage comes and goes have had this for a while now going to the toilet to clean my back end is the worst thing ever so sore to twist round
forgot to say that i also have fatty liver and my liver has been raised  i feeel bloated most of the time i look like i am 9 months pregnant not so much pain as a discomfort can any one relate to these symptoms please really worring
You described exactly my pain ! I have the same symptoms as you have. I have this pain for 4 years.The doctor told me is the a muscle pain but I am getting worried . I also did the CT scan and ultrasound and everything is ok.I do not have a dog that pulls but I help an old men to get up from the chair. It is the same for me too, very difficult to drive and seat on the coucht when I am watching tv.
Viewing 201-208 comments: