Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Extremely Painful Severe Tonsillitis!!!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Extremely Painful Severe Tonsillitis!!!

9 Days ago, I started having a small throat and little by little within a day or two, my tonsils were inflamed so much that I could not eat!! On Sunday before labor day I went to the emergency room and the idiot doctor, without tests, said its strep throat. He gave me a shot of Antibiotics (I think it was Ampicilin) and sent me home with Augmentin. The pain started getting worse and swelling even worse. Two days later, I could not even swallow my saliva so I went to see an ENT. Both Strep and Mono came negative.  He gave me a Cortisone shot and changed my Antibiotics to Biaxin. The cortisone helped for the rest of the day and the next day, same pain came back! I called him and he put me on 5 days of Prednisone 40mg/day!! I' on day 4 of Prednisone now and am afraid when I'm done with the Prednisone, the pain will come back. The inflammation has NOT gone down AT ALL and I still cannot eat any food but I can swallow my saliva and have juices, drinks or shakes. I tried eating sold food and now some of the food is stuck in the tonsils and is bothering me.
By the way, my only symptoms is swollen tonsils and glands around it + slight fever that comes and goes. My spleen and liver are not enlarged (my doctor checks 5 days ago) . no coughing, no sneezing, no runny nose.
Do you think this a bacterial infection? or viral? How long will this last? It has been 9 days so far!!!!!

I would appreciate any help!!!