Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Eye twitch and 'Hot Ear' attacks frequent. Worried about Nerv...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Eye twitch and 'Hot Ear' attacks frequent. Worried about Nerve Disorder

About a 3 months ago, my left eye began twitching. Over time, it grew worse, and spread into my right eye as well. A few weeks ago, it began to get better, and now all I have is a little bit of a twitch in my right eye. But while my eye twitch dropped in frequency, my ears began to do something funny. They would warm up, turn bright red, and soon began to hurt. This has become quite frequent, but my busy schedule doesn't really allow me a doctor's visit. During both these symptoms, I get dizzy a lot easier, especially when I'm doing any quick or constant movements. I should qualify, my sister has Multiple Sclerosis, so I fear I am more prone to a nerve disorder. I've also been getting sore on my back and neck.
     Should I be worried and seek immediate medical help?
Your symptoms of muscle twitches and red ears caught my eye.
Both of these can be symptoms of Lyme Disease.

Washington State Lyme Disease
http://www.geocities.com/playpub/LD-Symptoms.htm

Scroll down to
9. EARS / HEARING
Decreased hearing in one or both ears, Buzzing in ears, Ringing in one or both ears, Fluid in the ears, Ears popping, Deafness, Ear Pain, Sound Sensitivity, and Red Ears.
=========

The bacteria that causes Lyme Disease disrupts so many systems in the body.
It depletes the muscle and nerves cells of magnesium, which can cause the twitching.
It can cause the body's immune system to go haywire, and autoimmune problems can result.  One autoimmune problem might be the inflammation of cartilege, hence the red ears.

Inflamed red ears can also be diagnosed as Polychondritis, if certain other symptoms are also present.
(It's possible to have both Lyme and Polychondritis.)

There are a number of Lyme patients at LymeNet.org who have complained of the problem of inflamed red ears.

I think you should see your doctor if you get an episode of inflamed, red ears.  You can end up with damage to the cartiledge if it's severe and is not treated in time.

Wishing you the best,
Carol

My ear has done that for years now.  It's just something I've had to learn to live with.  My mom's does the same thing.  Ironically, heat seems to help with the problem; otherwise, it can last days.
My ear use to get hot all the time and it was only the right one, Then my eye would start to twitch alot most of the days. I never went to the doc for just that but when i told my doctor about it he checked me for High blood pressure and told me to go see about my vison. When that all came back fine. He told me that it was just stress. The eye twitches can be from lack of sleep or to much sleep. The ear redness can somtimes be like when your face gets embarssed. Also some earings can cause redness. The hot feeling is what was werid to me it was like your ear was so red and hot. But if anyone else would feel it they would say oh its fine. It very annoying. I do hope you find some reliff! Take Care!
Well I'll go visit a doctor to see what could be up. I would hate for any permanent damage. I thought it was just stress as well. I have been very stressed, but recently my stress has been getting worse, but the eye twitches decreasing in number. Well thanks for all your help. I would appreciate some more opinions.
A related discussion, Same Issues was started.
I tried to post my comment here but it added a different link. We have very similar symptoms, and I would like to know if you've been able to figure anything out about what could be causing this since this post. Please respond whenever possible. Thank you.