Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Facial numbness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Facial numbness

About 6 months ago I got a numbness on the left side of my face.It started at around the same time I had a canker sore(or coldsore) on my upper gum on my left side of my mouth.I went to the doctor and had an MRI which came back fine so he said it was probably Bells Palsy and gave me medicine. Every so often the numbness comes back and its still only on the left side of my face.I also notice that since then I have had that canker sore come back a few times in the same exact spot.It seems like they appear simutaneously at times . Although the numbness does appear more often .Its been 6 months now and it still comes and goes..Does this sound like it can be anything specific other than Bells Palsey?

Thanks for writing to the forum!

To me it does not sound like Bell’s Palsy. You could read this link to confirm if these are the symptoms you have: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell's_palsy

It could be a condition named trigeminal nerve neuralgia (fifth cranial nerve) causing unilateral sensory paresthesia of the face.

Other central nervous system causes include Stroke, transient ischemic attacks (TIAs or mini-strokes) or multiple sclerosis. It can also be a sign of a disease called Neurofibromatosis2 which is a tumor on a nerve.

The canker sore has me concerned. Generally mouth ulcers that look like canker sores causing a lump or facial numbness are a sign of cancer. This needs to be investigated as the mouth sore is actually not healing.

I am glad your MRI came out normal. I think you should discuss these possibilities with your doctor.  Do let me know if there is any thing else you want to know and please keep me posted. Take care!

Thank you so much for your reply. I have read on many sites that HIV can cause bells palsy so I can't get that out of my mind and am so nervous about that..Especially since I have that one canker/cold sore recurring. Although it goes away in about a week each time. I was tested for all the hepatitis's and had a complete blood work up done(other than HIV)and it all came back normal.I do have slighty high cholesterol(216) and slighty high ALT liver enzyme(73) which I have seen a liver specialist about. A sonogram showed no issues and she then tested for other liver issues which all came back fine.Since the sore is on my upper gum is that considered a herpes sore rather than a canker sore? When i get really stressed out or have lots of coffee(caffeine)throughout the day or even if I am hungry because i havent eaten all day I feel like the numbness shows itself then as well once in a while.Does any of this make sense or sound  logical to you?What type of doctor should i see about this?Again,Thank you so much for your response.