Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Factor VIII
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Factor VIII

What exactly does it mean to have 'mildly elevated factor VIII'?  I've been on coumadin for a blood clot (that is now gone) and according to my doctor I will have to remain on coumadin forever.  He admits to having no idea what is causing the blood clots but seems to have closed the door on finding out.  Could the elevated factor VIII mean anything else?  I tested negative for all the other 'factors' and the other usual suspects.
Related Discussions
2 Comments
Blank
530357_tn?1227797481
I believe individuals with haemophilia are lacking factor VIII, one of the necessary components for sufficient blood clotting. I wish I had more to offer,... all in all, I would say it just means your blood clots a little bit better than it should (b/c of the elevated factor VII), therefore, the reason for your doctor suggesting coumadin. Because factor VII is only mildly elevated, it might be worth asking if low-dose aspirin would be just as effective. My mother was on coumadin, for a blood clot, and because of her other medical conditions and necessary medications,... as I'm sure you know there are MANY medications that are off-limits when on coumadin, her doctor saw no reason it wouldn't be just as beneficial for her to take 325mg aspirin/day.

Best Wishes!
Blank
Hi,

How are you?
Excessive factor VIII implies the blood has a tendency to clot. Some of the causes of elevated factor VIII are stress, strenuous exercise, surgery, inflammatory conditions, birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy.
The patients with elevated factor VIII have increased chances of developing venous thromboembolism.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank