Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Fainting & breathlessness due to Hiatus Hernia
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Fainting & breathlessness due to Hiatus Hernia

I get these attacks where stomach starts churning, and i begin feeling uneasy, begin sweating allover, feel dizzy, breathless and slump down to the floor. Takes about an hour to recover fully. Stomach fills with gas and puts pressure on my chest/heart. I suffer from Hiatus Hernia. has anybody else suffered from the same symptoms. Have done all tests for Heart related symptoms but all are -ve. Is there any cure for this ? I am taking all Haitus Hernia medicines but they help only temporarily.
Last time I got this attack was when I began cycling and after 15 minutes on the road, fell down after this uneasiness attack. Pls help
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
351246_tn?1379685732
17. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/651290
Hi
Thanks for writing.
I am sorry but you have complicated hiatus hernia, where the stomach goes into the chest cavity and is not able to go back to the abdominal cavity. Surgery is the only treatment to relieve the symptoms and avoid further complications.
Please consult your doctor and meanwhile the following tips may help:
“Dietary Changes: 1) Avoid foods that can relax the muscle that controls the opening between the esophagus and the stomach including:
Chocolate
Peppermint
Fatty foods
Coffee
Alcoholic beverages
2) Avoid foods and beverages that can irritate the internal lining of the esophagus, such as:
Caffeine
Citrus fruits and juices
Tomato products
Hot peppers
Carbonated beverages
3)  minimize acid reflux:
Consume smaller meals 4 to 6 times a day versus three large meals
Avoid drinking large amounts of fluids with meals
Do not eat within 2 to 3 hours of bedtime
4) If you smoke, stop. Smoking weakens the lower esophageal sphincter, a muscle that controls the opening between the esophagus and the stomach.
5) Reduce Pressure on Your Abdomen
Wear clothes and belts that are loose around your waist
Avoid stooping or bending after meals, which puts increased pressure on the abdomen
6) Elevating the head of the bed on 6-inch blocks or sleeping on a specially designed wedge reduces heartburn. This position helps prevent stomach contents from refluxing backward into the esophagus.
The hernia is at risk for twisting, which could cut off the blood supply to part of the stomach and cause that part to die.”
Please do not delay. Please see a gastroenterologist at the earliest. Hope this helps. If you need more help, please feel free to contact. I’ll be happy to answer your queries. Please keep me posted.

Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Undiagnosed Symptoms Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank