Fall asleep for no reason, half hour after DINNER ???
I am 54 and every night after I eat dinner (half hour or so) I get so sleepy and as hard as I try to stay awake I can't ! Sometimes I only sleep for a few minutes and sometimes it could be a hour or so, and as hard as I try I can't stay awake. After about an hour or so I have to force myself to wake up. What could be causing this, My doctor just said, your getting old and left it at that. Is that the true reason or is it something more ? Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
What you suffer from is probably narcolepsy, which is a neurological disorder. This is thought to be caused by low protein called hypocretin, which is made in the brain. The symptoms are an urge to sleep especially after meals. Sleep studies and EEG are done to rule out other causes of poor sleep and insomnia. Eating light and frequent meals during the day helps. Also assigning a nap time during the day often helps. You can take a light meal before this. At times some ante depressants are prescribed to control the symptoms.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult your doctor and get a referral for a sleep specialist and a neurologist. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.