Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Fatigue, pain under right ribs, joint pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

About 7 weeks ago, I thought I had the flu.  Unfortunately, 7 weeks later, I'm still in terrible shape.  I have chronic fatigue - all day, every day from the moment I wake up until I go to bed.  I have a dull pain under my right ribs cage that radiates around the side and into the back;  gall bladder removed 12 years ago.  I also have consistent joint pain.

I've had more doctors visits and tests in the last 6 weeks than I've had in the previous 10 years.  CBC, liver function, EGD, Abdominal CT scan - all normal.While I like my doctor, it's pretty clear that he is out of ideas - his next step is a sleep apnea test that I know is not going to show anything abnormal.

I went from a normal, active 45 year old man to a near invalid in the blink of an eye and my doctor can't find anything wrong.  If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to hearing them.
HI
Are you HCV? If so how long? What is your lifestyle? was the gallbladder removal related to HCV? I am very similar to you in all the ways you mentioned; in age, also was totally active then suddenly in this last year I have totally started to feel like an old invalid w/almost all of your same SX.

So I had a blood work done (got results today in fact) with a new Dr, and everything is normal, except a mild elevation in liver functions.

I was almost hoping my blood work would show something else to explain feeling bad, i.e. rheumatoid, etc, which it did not. Everything is indeed good and w/in normal range. Everything -BP, cholesterol, rheumatoid, diabetes, so on. These were the exact same results of my very first blood work done 7 yrs ago when I found I was HCV and the GI told me not to do anything at that time, that it was not necessary.

So, I've convinced myself its due to progression of the HCV and am worried. Next i will get a second opinion too...

However, I have faith that this is entirely reversible with the implementation of yoga, specific diet, total alcohol avoidance, Chanca Piedra herbs, tons of water and loads of ascorbic acid, (vitamin C) plus incremental increased exercise to hopefully get back a feeling of health. Also here's a link, see this essay: http://www.orthomed.com/titrate.htm

Its been a month now. I am already feeling some improvement in what was profound fatigue and joint/muscle pains. Still having awesome headaches, and what feels like a mild cold.

Call me in denial but I truly feel this is the course of action to take for at about a year, to see if things improve, before I even consider a liver biopsy or any TX.
Might be time to see another doc for a second opinion. You will have all the tests already done. IF it was me, I'd go see an infectious disease doctor...they are who often pick up on things that are not in the normal realm. Have you been tested for Lyme disease? Just a thought...with the symptoms you discribed.One positive...you've had all the tests!
I do not believe I have HCV.  I am not in any of the risk categories; though I realize anything is possible.  I appreciate the ideas.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Post viral fatigue syndrome is probably what you have and this is a very common disorder. Also there are no magic pills for it. This can be treated patiently with exercise, good diet, work out plans and multivitamins. A diet rich in fruits, vegetables and proteins should be taken along with a multi vitamin supplement. Eat 5-7 small regular meals every day. Drink plenty of water. Do deep breathing exercises. Join a good trainer and start an exercise program that will help you build up stamina. Try doing an activity a day that interests you. Try to remain calm. Test for diabetes, hypothyroidism and electrolyte imbalance. Take care!