UNDIAGNOSED SYMPTOMS
COMMUNITY
Feeling Faint in the Shower
by Heather_Lee, Jan 27, 2007
Everytime I take a shower, I become faint, light -headed and sometimes nauseous.  My vision starts going a bit blurry, and I have to sit down for awhile or else I will pass out.  I know it's not pregnancy because this has been happening since I was about 13 year old on and off, but here lately, it's gotten worse.  

I start off okay for about the first 10 or 15 minutes I'm in the shower and then the symptoms start taking over.  I'll have to sit down for awhile and only be able to stand up for about a minute before I will have to sit down again.

I can't take a bath as I am living in student accomodation without any baths.

I've tried looking for answers on-line to this, but haven't found any.  I'm just wondering what this could be.

Thank you!
Member Comments (48)
by PlateletGal, Jan 27, 2007

How is your water intake ? Do you drink 6-8 glasses of water each day ?
by Heather_Lee, Jan 27, 2007
Not that much every day, but water is all I drink (with the ocasional hot chocolate, haha).  I've stopped drinking sugary drinks and the such a while back.  But even when I drink loads of water, I still get these symptoms.

~ Heather
xx
by alchris, Jan 27, 2007
Do you take a very hot shower?  If so maybe the heat/steam can affect you somehow?  Not sure though, just a suggestion.
by Heather_Lee, Jan 28, 2007
Nope.  I used to take really hot showers, but now mine are just warm and then I eventually turn it down to a cooler temperature when I rinse my hair.

~ Heather
xx
by spade22, Jan 28, 2007
I just wanted to add, that if you have an electolyte imbalance, drinking "loads of water" will NOT solve this problem.  In fact, it can make things worse and can lead to very serious condition called hyponatremia if certain conditions are met (I doubt they apply in your case).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia
by PlateletGal, Jan 28, 2007

The only other thing I can think of is asking you guys if you get enough salt in your diet ?
by spade22, Jan 28, 2007
I think platelet girl may have hit the nail on the head!  According to a website I found, symptoms of lack of salt include:

"Dizziness - fainting - muscle cramps when not exercising, feeling faint in the shower * and more.....

Note : feeling faint in the shower * - Hot water opens the capillaries and the water reserves in the body do not reach the brain."

Try drinking an electrolyte replinishing drink (gatorade etc.) and see if that helps.  

by pattypop, Jan 28, 2007
   I am new to this site today. I too, get weak in the shower, also tried not so hot water. Still get weak, sometimes have to hold on, haven't had to sit yet. So, i hurry , as fast as i can, & get out of there. I get worse, lowering myself in the tub of warm water too tho. I do not know why either. Take care & God bless . Patricia
by alchris, Jan 29, 2007
I grealty agree with spade too much water can be dangerous.  Blood work can tell if there is an electorlite embalance plus measurer salt in body.