Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Feeling Faint in the Shower

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Feeling Faint in the Shower

Everytime I take a shower, I become faint, light -headed and sometimes nauseous.  My vision starts going a bit blurry, and I have to sit down for awhile or else I will pass out.  I know it's not pregnancy because this has been happening since I was about 13 year old on and off, but here lately, it's gotten worse.  

I start off okay for about the first 10 or 15 minutes I'm in the shower and then the symptoms start taking over.  I'll have to sit down for awhile and only be able to stand up for about a minute before I will have to sit down again.

I can't take a bath as I am living in student accomodation without any baths.

I've tried looking for answers on-line to this, but haven't found any.  I'm just wondering what this could be.

Thank you!
Tags: fainting

How is your water intake ? Do you drink 6-8 glasses of water each day ?
Not that much every day, but water is all I drink (with the ocasional hot chocolate, haha).  I've stopped drinking sugary drinks and the such a while back.  But even when I drink loads of water, I still get these symptoms.

~ Heather
xx
Do you take a very hot shower?  If so maybe the heat/steam can affect you somehow?  Not sure though, just a suggestion.
Nope.  I used to take really hot showers, but now mine are just warm and then I eventually turn it down to a cooler temperature when I rinse my hair.

~ Heather
xx
   I am new to this site today. I too, get weak in the shower, also tried not so hot water. Still get weak, sometimes have to hold on, haven't had to sit yet. So, i hurry , as fast as i can, & get out of there. I get worse, lowering myself in the tub of warm water too tho. I do not know why either. Take care & God bless . Patricia
I just wanted to add, that if you have an electolyte imbalance, drinking "loads of water" will NOT solve this problem.  In fact, it can make things worse and can lead to very serious condition called hyponatremia if certain conditions are met (I doubt they apply in your case).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia
I think platelet girl may have hit the nail on the head!  According to a website I found, symptoms of lack of salt include:

"Dizziness - fainting - muscle cramps when not exercising, feeling faint in the shower * and more.....

Note : feeling faint in the shower * - Hot water opens the capillaries and the water reserves in the body do not reach the brain."

Try drinking an electrolyte replinishing drink (gatorade etc.) and see if that helps.  

The only other thing I can think of is asking you guys if you get enough salt in your diet ?
I grealty agree with spade too much water can be dangerous.  Blood work can tell if there is an electorlite embalance plus measurer salt in body.
wow...I thought I was the only one who did this?  Do you have any answers yet?  please keep posting.  I'm curious.
I MADE A DOCTORS APPOINTMENT TODAY FOR THE EXACT THING YOU ARE EXPLAINING.  I GET INTO THE SHOWER AND FEW MINUTES INTO IT I GET VERY NAUSAUS, LIGHTHEADED LIKE I WILL FAINT AND ITS HARD TO BREATHE.  IT SCARES THE **** OUT OF ME.  I HAVE TO SIT DOWN IN SHOWER OR I WILL PASS OUT.  ITS HARD TO EVEN WASH MY HAIR.  I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FIND OUT TOMORROW.
I to get these symptoms, more if I take a shower in the morning than at night.  I went to the doctor and she told me it was all in my head.  I don't know what to do.  Any suggestions would be wonderful!  Thanks :)
the same thing has been happening to me! when i wake up early in the morning and get into the shower right away i feel weak and then everything goes blurry and then i feel like i am going to throw up unless i sit down or lay down. i just don't know whats wrong with me!
If you feel light headed in hot water then you may have low blood pressure or low salt intake.

If you feel fatigued/exhausted after a shower, no matter the temperature, then you are probably sensitive to the chlorine and/or fluoride added to the water. These are toxins, easily absorbed through the skin. Essentially, you are being poisoned when you step into the shower. You probably do not have enough iodine in your diet, because chlorine and fluoride are chemically very similar to iodine and your thyroid cannot tell the difference. So they replace iodine in your thyroid causing hypothyroidism.

As a side note, countries with fluoride in their water do not have less cavities than countries without it. Fluoride was used to control populations in Nazi concentration camps & Russian gulags because it causes fatigue and lowers IQ. The only reason it's added to the water is because it's a byproduct of weapons manufacturing and they have nowhere else to put it. It is likely the cause of Fibromyalgia and contributes to many cancers (see the rate of breast cancer in US versus countries without fluoridated water).
I'm 16 and I get exactly the same thing, have done for about 3 years. I only get it in the mornings though so i have to shower at night instead which can be a bit of a nuisannce. I've been to the doctors and they said it was probably down to my low blood pressure. But aparently there are lots of things it could be down to. But probably go to the doctors before you make any decisions :)
I have the same shower problem, especially in the morning. If I am shampooing my hair my heart starts to race and I feel like I'm passing out. If the water is hot or the bathroom is steamy, same thing. I have mitral valve prolapse, which is supposed to be not a big deal, but some of the weird things that happen because of this are quite scary. Check this out with a doctor.
could this possibly be due to the heat and the act of standing still for a period of time which can indicate an orthostatic intolerence.  
The same thing happens to me - I often feel light-headed & fatigued during/after a shower. I sometimes am scared to simply step out, asking myself "why can't i simply stand? what's wrong with me?" haha, i normally have to sit, however, and lower my head occasionally. I actually just got out of the shower and have been laying down.. everything everyone has shared is so interesting. I'm convinced the reaction is related to either dehydration/lack of electrolytes, or low blood pressure. I've noticed I especially feel dizzy when showering after I work out and maybe have not drinken enough water. (I do not drink more than 4 glasses a day..) I also would like to say it is so ridiculous that there is fluoride in our water! I wish we could somehow change that.. I had no idea there were toxins in US water that actually contributed to cancer. There is so much wrong in our country...=(
This could be a cause: When you take a hot shower, your blood rushes to the outside of your body to protect your internal organs against the temperature increase. I'd say a 15 minute hot shower would make anyone dizzy. #1, you are on your feet, so blood isn't getting to your brain, and your body is sending all your body to the outside of your body.

No blood to your brain = dizziness and nausea, just like with a concussion.

You could also be allergic to mold. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not there.  Low blood pressure could also cause this, being on your feet in the hot water for a long time.  

Try taking shorter showers.  5 minutes is really all you need to get clean. If you're shaving in the shower, take a shorter shower and shave your legs/whatever outside the shower,  
Hey everyone =D
I too get dizzy when i take a shower, having to sit down and sometimes when it's really bad, i have to rinse my hair in the sink. Also i noticed that i get dizzy in the shower more often in the morning than at night. Thus, I take my showers at night. Also i've noticed that I get dizzy when i take a shower when i'm hungry. That probably explains why i feel light headed in the morning, because when i take a shower in the morning, i usually take it before i eat breakfast. So maybe if you eat before you take a shower, then you won't feel nauseous (it works for me although i don't know why xD) =3
A related discussion, dizzy in the shower was started.
im 15 years old. I have the same problem,it only happens 2 me in the nite rather than the morning.it just doesnt happen in the shower also when im bathing, i almost faintd yesterday
A related discussion, Cold in the shower and get dizzy was started.
A related discussion, Feeling faint in the shower was started.
IYeser day I had my flu shots and today I took my shower in morning and got out fealing dizzy my eyes tirning black and my ears were ringing this never happened to mi my first time im 13.
A related discussion, Fatigue, dizziness, headaches, stress? was started.
im 16 and i just got out a hot bath and as i stepped out to reach a dry towel i wiped my face and i soon start to feel real light headed and my vision started to get blurry and dem and next thing i know im on the floor breathing heavy and mins later my head start to hurt and im breathing hard still
I just had this happen to me a few days ago-- seriously my experience was identical to what you describe (actually you posted your post the same day I fainted). Go into the doctor now. I'm betting you'll have the same wonderful experience I did and they'll do a ekg and blood test and you'll more than likely come up as anemic. It was my first time fainting and am quite happy to have an explanation-- all I have to do is take a multi-vitamin with iron and we'll recheck my blood in a month and a half. Good luck!
This happens to me fairly frequently. I've fainted twice, but only moments after hitting the floor I feel much better and stand up. I almost instantly get that faint feeling again. I fainted today for the first time in months and was curious about what the problem might be. I do take hot showers, but I'd had three glasses of water prior. I'm not sure if I should be concerned and tell my parents or just assume I was overheated.
You should definitely tell your parents they would be scared as hell to find you on the floor one day. You should go to doctors and get checked for sure.
put a filter on your shower head. culligan rates high in consumer reports. just bought one for $25. (i am no sales rep i promise!). high levels of chlorine are common in our water systems.  when we take hot showers we breathe in the steam and any other elements in our water systems. you can find info. about your city's water, it is posted online.  i just installed the filter after reading that my town had over the limit chlorine levels.
I also have the same symptoms every time I take a warm shower I feel faint dizzy and wanna thro up I have yet to find a reason but I hope someone can help me.
Today that happened to me too! I had hot water on, and after about 20 minutes (I didn't know it was that long) I lost balance, I had a headache, I saw blurry and spotted vision, my heart kind of clenched. I felt like I had to vomit. It was disaster.
i just washed my hair in the tub and i had the water on almost hot, when i sat up i got really really lightheaded and stomach sick! I had to lie down right away, im still laying down because i though i was going to fain! any suggestions to what it is??
This happened to me today. While in the shower(the water is lukewarm) I feel like I'm going to pass out and my vision goes white for about 5 seconds. I immediately have to sit down else I'll probably faint. I haven't fainted yet, thank god. hopefully it stays that way. It has only happened 3 times. The first time it happened i was sick. but the last 2 times it happened all i did was work out right before. I also get somewhat dizzy while i workout at times?? I'm only 15. I don't know what's wrong with me!
i do have anxiety and some irregular heart beat/rythem from time to time..i was starting to feel little weird before, then went to go into shower, about 1 min into it, not hot shower, luke warm, started feel faint,diizy, loosing control heart beating hard and did some breathing techniques and then after about 5 min it passed to guessing anxiety...sick of it,be fine for a while then Boom back to this.. HELP.
I personally think its a body wash or shampoo. I started using a certain body wash and had these problems now ive stopped and it doesnt happen anymore! What body wash or shampoo do you use? Maybe one of those ingredients is setting this off.
This happens to me too. I used to take showers that were an hour long, but now I have to quickly wash my hair and body within 15 minutes or less. Sometimes I don't even have time to get dressed before I have to rest. Luckily though I haven't passed out yet, but I have come very near.
I had this happen to me today im usually fine in hot showers but i woke up from a nap and went to shower not even  10 min later my vision went blurry so i sat down then i thought i was fin got back up and not even a min later my vision went so blurry i couldnt see anything but colors of things around me got out sat on the floor and got sick in my toilet....does anyone know what it could be...its never happened to me before
i think honestly it's that (if your tired this is) that your body relaxes heaps and if your already tired it starts to go asleep on you. I told my parents they thought nothing of it. I used to sway and have to lean against the wall and then I'd be unsure how long I'd been there for, feeling disorientated and lol but mentally slow. I've passed out about twice after showering.  I don't think it can be in this many peoples heads.
the same thing happened to me today except i passed out right after showering and didn't know how long i was out for. This is the first time it has happened to me so hopefully it won't again but if it does i will go to the doctor and get checked out. I was thinking it was the face wash that i use but i am not sure. i guess i will see what happens tomorrow when i shower. My stomach started hurting and i felt real faint and my vision got really bad and the next thing i knew i was on the floor my chest didn't feel good as well
I went to the doctor because not only do I get lightheaded and nauseous after my shower and have to lie down, I sometimes get it first thing after I get out of bed and have to lie on the floor until it passes!  I started taking my blood pressue at home and it has been in the 80's over 50's when I'm feeling really bad, and 90's over 50's when I'm just a little lightheaded. The doctor sent me to a cardiologist and he said to "just increase the salt in your diet"! They seem to feel it is just "low blood pressure" and that it won't hurt me. Yikes! Not sure what else to do about it except increase my fluid intake and salt...haven't noticed much difference, though.
The same thing happens to me, so mow I take tepid showers.
Thins is what I was told.

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

Hot showers (any heat really) dilate (open up) the blood vessels in an attempt to bring down body temperature.

Excessive or rapid dilation can lead to a drop in blood pressure, which sounds like what you experienced. Some other signs on sudden hypotension (low blood pressure) include sweating, nausea, vomiting, tunnel vision, ringing in ears or sounds appearing far away, lightheadedness, feeling dizzy and fainting.

This hypotension can also happen if you stand up too quickly from a sitting or lying down position, and can be prevented by getting up slowly. This is called postural hypotension and can be made worse by things such as a hot shower, as this will further drop blood pressure.

When you feel an episode coming on, lie down, or sit with your head between your knees to aid the return of blood and vital oxygen to your brain. Fainting can cause serious injuries.

Also try having a cooler shower. Cold constricts blood vessels.
Source(s):
Registered nurse
2 years ago Report Abuse
It is not in your head.  This happens to a lot of people, me included.  I think it may have something to do with the temperature of the water.  You need to get a new doctor if this is all she can manage when you go to her with a concern.  
This can also be caused by steam... not just the hot water.  Anyone suffering from this should make sure their shower is properly vented by opening a window/door or turning on the exhaust fan. I used to suffer from this, but just making sure that no steam builds up means I can enjoy all the long, hot showers I want.
A related discussion, I faint in the shower everyonce in a while was started.
My wife has this problem and I thought about Gatorade too. How much per day would you think? She also gets a little dizzy when getting up in the am which she takes meds for.
Omg same here! and im a teen! I thought i was the only one who does this bc its pretty scary when passing out. Please keep posting i need answers or should i just go to my doc and ask?.. btw im new to this site.. i barely created an acct. :)
sometimes I got that but all it was panick attack during shower..so sometimes it can be caused from anxiety..i would have to hold to an object while showering,,,then hurry a lot to finish due to fear of getting dizzy
I also suffer from this. It has happened since I was a teenager and I am now 30. I dread showering because of it. I have actually passed out two times from this. I use barely warm water and stay hydrated. I also keep it well ventilated. I just moved into a new place and it has a desperate shower the bath and it has made it south worse. I shut off the water and let the cool air in for a bit but it starts right away as soon as I turn the water back on. I cannot move and cannot afford to do any renovations. Anyone know what causes this?
1 - The warmth of the shower water causes vasodilation (your blood vessels relax and become wider in order to increase their surface area, which usually allows your body to cool more quickly).
2 - As your blood vessels are wider the pressure exerted on them by the blood flow decreases, that is, your blood pressure drops.
3 - To compensate the pressure drop and to keep the blood flow at an acceptable level, your heart rate increases.
4 - If your blood pressure drops below a certain point, your heart won't be able to compensate it and the blood flow in your head will be very weak (because your heart won't have enough strength to push the blood upwards and your blood vessels will also be too "relaxed" to be of any help).
5 - If the blood flow in your brain is weak, it won't get all the oxygen it needs to function properly.
6 - Then your brain goes into "emergency mode" and makes you faint or collapse, that is, fall to the ground, which puts your heart and your head at the same height, allowing blood to reach your brain with almost no effort.

Now, for most people, step 4 never happens, because their blood pressure doesn't drop too much and/or their hearts can keep up with it.
But for you and for quite a few people (myself included) things don't work quite that way.

It usually is something quite innocent and not dangerous (as long as we learn to recognize the signs that we're about to collapse and prevent ourselves from falling and getting injured). Maybe your myocardium is just a little bit weaker or you have a little less muscle on the walls of some major artery or vein than the average person. It's not dangerous, it's not life threatening, it's not even something you can't solve (usually, slightly increasing your fitness level can erase all the symptoms).
But it can also be something a bit more serious. Almost every heart condition, circulatory system malfunction, osmotic imbalance, etc. has these sort of symptom. This is why you should definitely see a doctor about this. They will direct you to the relevant speciality (probably cardiology based on what you said) and then run a series of tests and exams to exclude the chance of it being something dangerous.

I did a couple of blood tests, an indoors stress test, several ECG's, a Holter monitoring (basically, a 24h ECG) and two echocardiograms (ultrasounds of the heart) over 6 years. But, honestly, a blood test, a Holter and an echocardiogram should do the trick. (I only did this much -plus a few respiratory and neurological tests- because I kept "almost collapsing" -they're called presyncopes by the way- not just in the shower but also while doing some types of physical exercise, while singing, when standing for too long, when in hot places, when doing nothing at all,...)
If there is something wrong with your blood (oy your lungs, or your kidneys, or your diet) the blood test should find it. If there is something structurally wrong with your heart, the echo should find it. If there is something electrically wrong, the Holter should find it. Ruling out these, almost everything else is in the "non-dangerous" category.

I never actually got a diagnosis, but I learned to live with it. Exercising helped reduce the frequency of the presyncopes. Time and experience taught me how to control some of them before they get too bad and how to simply deal with the ones I can't control.

I guess you could try taking showers with slightly cooler water (not cold, just not as hot) and in less time (because the more time you spend under the hot shower the more time your heart has to beat faster and the more it will tire).
Also maybe avoid showering right before or after sleep (because your blood pressure is naturally lower at these times) or when you're hungry (because your heart won't have as much energy available) or you've just eaten (because the blood flow in your digestive system is much higher at those times, leaving your brain slightly lacking - this is why it's normal for a person to feel sleepy or lethargic after a meal).
You can indulge in slightly saltier food. If your blood pressure drops easily, there is no harm in ingesting a bit more sodium than usual, which will increase your blood pressure slightly (But do not overdo it! I have many blood pressure drops, but my normal blood pressure is actually sort of high'ish. It's still within the acceptable limits, but it is quite a bit above the average for someone as young as I am).
Other than that, just try to figure out for yourself what triggers these episodes. Find the triggers and then just try to go around them as much as possible.

Sources: Experience; Way too many talks with doctors (particularly cardiologists); A nurse for a mother; My own curiosity and consequent research over the past 7 years.
CarolinaE, my wife has the same issue which happened again this morning. We've been dealing with this since Nov. 2009. In total, she has fainted 5 times. Luckily I was with her each time to catch her from falling and hurting herself. We've done everything thing you mention in relation to going to specialists. They all say the same thing that her symptoms point to Orthostatic intolerance. My wife is the healthiest eating person I know. I tend to lean towards her salt intake is very low, which might explain why she’s has always had low blood pressure. Her water intake is better than most as in she drinks 64oz + a day. The one difference, is when she has an episode like this, she’s dizzy/lightheaded for the next 1-2 days, and when she lifts her head off the pillow, she starts vomiting. It’s a viscous circle.

I don’t wish this on anyone, that’s for sure. Thank you for sharing…
where did you find this?