Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Feeling dizzy/passing out

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Feeling dizzy/passing out

Ok so about a month ago I had an episode at work, I passed out while in the middle of a conversation. All of a sudden I got a really bad pressure in my head, seeing spots, and the next thing I woke up. I was out for a few minutes when I came to I was as pale as a ghost, couldn't remember my age, Bday, or SS #. It took about 30 mins for all of the info to come back. I was shaking when I woke up but everyone told me I didn't have a seizure or convulse I just passed out but my eyes were still open. I went to the hospital and they found nothing, no low blood sugar, no legions in my brain, nothing. So today at work I'm sitting here having another conversation and this feeling hit me again, lucky for me I was able to calm myself down and breathe through it, but I'm not sure what could be causing this, anyone have any ideas? Anxiety is my best guess but I'm really not sure anymore

Thanks!
Kathy, how old are you? Do you have diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol? What you described sounded like transient ischemic attack (TIA), a small piece of plaque or a small blood clot may have brocken off and lodged temporarily in one of the vessels in your brain. It can be detected by CAT scan or MRI sometimes, but sometimes it goes undiagnosed. Also, I was told of cases of panic attacks, which manifested themselves similarly to your symptoms. Especially if you could make yourself just breathe through the second attack, the symptoms may be more psychosomatic rather than pathological.

I am 24 no diabetes, no high BP, and no problem with the cholesterol, the only thing they found is that I have a low heart rate,  the heart rate of a marathon runner the highest it goes is 62bpm. What worries me is they already did 2 MRI's and found nothing, I just spoke with my psychologist and she also thinks it is panic attacks, but can't rule out a seizure disorder or maybe even a sleep disorder like Sleep Apnea, I'm not really sure. thanks for your help I appreciate it.
i would request to see a specialist from my health care provider or if you can, self refer to a neurologist. hope this helps.
Thanks I called my doc today and she things it's panic attacks I have to go for a few tests to rule out anything else but it's looking like some sort of anxiety disorder. thanks again for all the suggestions!

Kathy
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Yes, symptomatically it looks like an anxiety attack. It could also be claustrophobia. It is also possible that you had transient hypoglycemia. Severe acidity, spinal nerve compression in cervical spine, and orthostatic hypotension could be the other causes. It could also be a vasovagal syncope or a vasovagal attack. The complex group of symptoms is mediated by the vagus nerve. This nerve is irritated by prolonged standing, standing up suddenly, stress, pain, hunger, dehydration, intense emotion etc. Hence laughing out too loud can cause this. A tilt table test, holter monitor, echocardiogram etc are done for confirmed diagnosis. Possibility of epilepsy cannot be ruled out totally. Discuss this with your doctor. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!