UNDIAGNOSED SYMPTOMS
COMMUNITY
Feeling faint in the morning.
by slightlynerdy, Nov 05, 2010
Every morning, I feel faint.  It seems fine if I'm sitting or lying down, but the symptom returns when I'm standing.  I've been trying to go to the gym in the morning, but I feel like I'd faint if I were to exercise.  The faintness usually clears up by the afternoon, but it can be pretty awful in the morning.  I had an internship at a bakery in the very early morning for a few days, but I had to quit because of this.  I ended up getting so dizzy that I fainted while on the job.  

Whenever I mention it to my mom, she just rolls her eyes and says that it's normal.  Surely this doesn't happen to everyone!  
Member Comments (22)
by Stefoni, Nov 05, 2010
Is there a possibility that you could be pregnant?  That's the 1st thing that I thought of when I read your post.
by slightlynerdy, Nov 05, 2010
I am sexually active, but this has been going on for years and years-- way before I become sexually active and would ever had had a chance to be pregnant.  
by Stefoni, Nov 06, 2010
Oh, i didn't know how long it was going on.... I see that you are 21 so I'm assuming this started in your teens?  The reason that I ask, I googled fainting and got this... "Fainting is pretty common in teens. The good news is that most of the time it's not a sign of something serious.  When someone faints, it's usually because changes in the nervous system and circulatory system cause a temporary drop in the amount of blood reaching the brain. When the brain is robbed of its blood supply, a person loses consciousness and falls over. After lying down, a person's head is at the same level as the heart, which helps restore blood flow to the brain. So the person usually recovers after a minute or two."
Here's some more info on the above: http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/health_basics/fainting.html#

Do you find that you usually faint more during a certian time of the month?  Your iron levels could be low when you menstruate.  It is very important for females to have iron... if you don't take a multi-vitamin already, starting with a Women's multi-vitamin might be a good thing anyway regardless if it helps you with this situation :)

Have you gone to the Dr.?  It could be diabetes, low blood pressure, or you could be anemic, it could be heart arrhythmia, hypoglycemia, or even just dehydration... I don't mean to scare you with all these... they are all very treatable.
by slightlynerdy, Nov 06, 2010
Thanks so much for the info!  Yes, this has been going on since my teens.  
The thing is, I don't always faint-- I just *feel* faint and dizzy.  I've been told that my blood pressure is REALLY low, but the frustrating thing is that the doctors don't suggest anything to help it.  I do, however, actually faint when I'm on my period or towards the end of my period, so it very well could be anemia.  My periods are always pretty awful.  I can't stand much the first day because of being weak/dizzy.  Like you said, anemia would be a possibility.  I guess I'd better get tested for that.
by Stefoni, Nov 06, 2010
Continue posting, if you feel comfortable, as you go.  I'd like to know how things go  :)
by slightlynerdy, Nov 06, 2010
Thanks!  I certainly will :)
by Stefoni, Nov 06, 2010
Oh, and "an underactive thyroid gland (hypothyroidism) can cause dizziness." when you go to the Dr. have them check your thyroid...
Here's another link I found that might be helpful: http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual_ha/sec3/ch20/ch20b.html

by slightlynerdy, Nov 06, 2010
The symptoms of hypothyroidism do sound quite possible.  Thanks for the link!  I'll see if I can get that checked out, too...
by trish676, Nov 07, 2010
Increasing your salt and fluid intake could help with the low blood pressure but do not do if you have any heart problems. Also support stockings will help prevent blood from settling in your legs which will also help with hypotension. Hope this helped.