UNDIAGNOSED SYMPTOMS
COMMUNITY
Feeling of hair in back of throat
by lindalou825, Apr 11, 2011
I am amazed at the number of people who have the same problem of feeling a hair at the back of their throat.  It's going on six months now.  After consulting an ENT, who found a 1.5 cm mass on/inside my tongue through a CT, no clear diagnosis was found.  The biopsies of the area were benign; the doctor was unable to biopsy the mass because he could not see or feel the mass.  I was sent to a second ENT for possible robotic surgery to get a deeper biopsy to find out what this mass was.  The second ENT felt there was no "true mass", indicating that it was tonsilar tissue in the tongue.  This doctor feels that my uvula has become elongated, not indicating why this may have happened all of a sudden.  He wants to "bob my uvula", or trim it down.  I am not a smoker, do not have active acid reflux, although I do take a daily acid pill due to a stricture I have had opened up twice.  Could all of this be the cause of the feeling of the "hair" in my throat?  It has been driving me crazy and I cannot continue to go to doctors.  I also don't want to have another surgery.  If acid reflux is the problem for all of this, how did anyone overcome it?  I already take a daily medication!  

This discussion is related to Feels like there's something in my throat.
Member Comments (1)
by Dr. Kokil MathurBlank, Apr 13, 2011
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
If acid reflux is the cause, then along with medications you need lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried. Many a times a persisting H pylori infection can be the cause behind acidity not responding to treatment.
Life style changes that will help include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
If these tips do not help, then liver function test, pancreatic enzymes, and HIDA scan for gall bladder should be done. Food intolerance and inflammatory bowel conditions such as IBS, Crohn’s, celiac etc should be considered. Log in what you eat and see if there is a correlation between a certain food type and the symptoms. Discuss first with your PCP.
Take care!