Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Feels like there's something in my throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi! Sorry if this is long...

I'm a 22 year old female, and for about the last 5 or 6 days I've had a feeling in my throat (upper left, in the back, just behind the uvula is what it feels like). It's getting on my nerves. It feels like there's a piece of food there or that I half-swallowed a hair or something. It doesn't hurt at all, but it feels like if I'm not careful I'll inhale it (which isn't physically possible, but it's in that location). I have no fever, no swollen glands, and there's nothing visually amiss based on my inspection with a flashlight in front of the mirror. One thing I did notice last night when I was looking was a semi-circular white ring in the back of my throat around where I think the irritation is. I don't see it at all today. I've gargled, I've tried eating different foods, I've coughed, I've tried clearing my throat in different ways, but nothing is helping. I had mono back in high school, but it's not even close to that. I had my adenoids (adenoids) removed when I was about 8. But I feel fine. I haven't been sick at all in 4 years. It just feels like I should be able to cough up whatever is causing this, but nothing works.

Any ideas on what could be going on??
you could have acid reflux or a stricture in the esophogus opening.  Are you under any stress.  when you eat does it it feel stuck there such as bread or peanut butter.  these are signs of Gerd or acid reflux you should see your md if bothersome.  good luck..
Thanks for the quick reply!

I've never had any problem with acid reflux or anything like that. I don't think I've ever had heartburn either. But I'll put that on my list of things to check out.

Could this maybe be an "dangly thingy in the back of the throat" problem alone? Maybe it's the uvula itself that I'm feeling. But it came up pretty quickly and is constantly a bother now. I can't tell if it's actually swollen or not. Maybe that could cause the same sensation?
I am also experiencing similar symptoms but combined with low grade fever and slight nausea. My throat doesn't 'hurt', it just feels ...weird.
One site I looked on described symptoms that suggested I may have yeast. I suppose its also possible that this could be a variant of Strep but I doubt it. I've had Strep before and this doesn't feel like it.
That's interesting. And you're right about the "weirdness" instead of pain. That's a good way to describe it.

I haven't had strep before, but I'm thinking that something like that would be much worse as far as feeling ill.

And actually, mealtime is the one time that I forget that I have discomfort. I hardly notice it when I'm eating. But it's constantly there whether I'm sitting quietly, talking, laying down, or working.
yeah...thats sounds like me too. I don't really notice it when I'm eating (especially salty foods) but any other time...its just..there.
Thank you comets for the advice, and thank you cheery for the link. I was planning a trip to the doctor next week anyways, but at least now I'll be a bit more prepared and will be able to better describe what's been going on.
There should be a support group for this! Sounds very similar.
I have this same weird feeling too. I have been having this for more than a year now. Mine turns out to be caused by thyroid problem and mild acid reflux. You might want to go to ENT doctor to get it checked out. They can have a tiny camera sent down your throat to look at. It will be better than you try to look for your self.
I have the same problem. It feels like something is on the very back left hand side of my tongue. When I look at this area with a flashlight in the mirror I do not see anything. The wierd thing is when I eat the feeling disappears. I also do not have acid reflux or any digestion troubles. I have had this for 5 months now. No other symptoms. If anyone finds out any info please pass it on!
I had this a couple of years ago and the doctor diagnosed Pharyngitis. It is not a serious condition
Do any of you have mold problems in your home?????? This is important. So many doctors KNOW NOTHING about Black mold and your State Knows even less. We are going thru a court litigation  against the landlord. Our home is full of mold and for 3 years he did nothing but come in and yell at me to wipe it down. I told him this whole damn place leaks even the shower he wont fix and roof and he walks away. Well for 7 months now I have researched and got a lawyer.. YOU WOULD ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL fall over if you saw what MPLD daoes and how many of us are on medications we dont need,, All we have to do is GET RID OF THE MOLD!!! We are looking at a multi million dollar lawsuit and you will be seeing me a lot soon because I will be traveling to talk about MOld..
As far as the hair like thing in your throat that is us too, Tis is how I found yall. This was my first site that came up.. If I find this is mold related I will be back. Anyway pleaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee  all of you bring up Black Mold. You will not believe what dangers it causes ..even death
I also feel food or something is in my throat. I also have a proalem with muscle spasms in my throat and have developed bizzare allergy (the cold.) also my nails peel away in the winter, then grow back in summer. Anyone else?
I have the exact sensation too, upper left, back of my throat always feel something is there. Doesn't hurt at all, and I don't notice it when I am eating too.
I too have the same problem since mid-May - the feeling something is on the left side of my tongue and throat.  Been to the ENT twice and was scoped and nothing showed up.  Doctor suggested it could be stress-related - anyone heard this could be the problem?  IT's driving me crazy!
i have the same problem it feels like it wants to come up but it wont and its very irraiting to me it feels like i got to burp but i dont and it just wont go away. I made my self vomit and it didnt work. It feels like its in the middle of my throat. It doesnt hurt or nothing like that i can still breathe but it is just gettin on my nerves. I dont feel it when im eating or drinking something but i do feel it when im NOT eating or drinking.
I totally sympathize.  I can't understand why I don't feel it when I'm eating or drinking, but it starts as soon as I wake up - I'm almost obsessed with it.  I'm always looking down my throat with a flashlight or feeling my glands thinking there's something growing.  Have you seen any doctors to have it checked out?  If I go back again to have this checked they're going to think I'm nuts.  My next visit is to the dentist to see if he can shed some light on it.
WOW! I cant believe how many other people have this problem! I've been dealing with it for years now - off and on. I always assumed it was mucous - I've tried sooo many ways to cough it up - I've made myself vomit in hopes that it would come out- no luck!! It's soo annoying that I just dont feel like I can deal with it anymore. I cant sleep - it's a constant irritation. (not with pain - just it's persistance) It feels so close to coming up that I almost want to try and get it with my hands!! UGH!!! Everything that I have read points to LPR AKA Laryngopharyngeal. It's a type of acid reflux but doesn't have the same symptoms as acid reflux.  I'm actually about to do a little research on it right now - something has GOT to help.

Best of luck to all.. I'm still just SHOCKED that there are so many of us out there LOL
i av the same problem!
ITS SOOOO ANNOYINGG!
it feels like theres a pill stuk in my throat ...i went docs and he couldnt see anything anyone found out wt it could be yet?? its really doin my hea in now im gonna go back 2 the docs 2moz !
I ALSO HAVE THE SAME FEELING LIKE SOMETHING STUCK IN MY THROAT.
DO ANY OF YOU WHO SUFFER FROM THIS SMOKE AS I DO AND I THOUGHT THAT SMOKING COULD BE THE CAUSE .
THE FEELING IS THERE ALL THE TIME ITS REALY IRRITATING I STOPPED SMOKING TO SEE IF IT WILL GO AWAY.
PLEASE ANYONE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION .
THANX CHRISTY
Lots of different suggestions and can I add one more "globus sensation". That's the stress related one. I had that once (for weeks on end) and it felt like that feeling you get when you're about to cry. I swore I could feel pills sitting in my throat for half an hour after swallowing. it was all due to spasm of the osophogus caused by stress. But that was me.

Good luck to you all.
Consider fungal infection and get checked for that.
Another thought is a bony overgrowth which is rare but does occur: a physician friend has recently found this in herself.
I have had a similar problem.. the feeling of hair in the back of my throat.
I have had instances of a "thrush like" occurance on my tounge which my doctor could not explain... however it's never affected my throat.  Again no pain just a hairlike feeling at the very back of my throat
I too have this same feeling in my throat and at first I thought it might be caused from straining my throat so much when I had a bad cough.  I've had this sensation for quite some time now and, like others, it doesnt bother me to eat at all.  I do have a low thyroid condition but, I just had blood work done last week to check it and it was fine.  I even thought maybe I was straining my neck from looking up at the computer screen.  Believe me, I have thought of many things it "might" be and was so amazed to find that so many others are suffering from this same thing!  I was almost to the point where I am afraid to go to my dr. for fear of her telling me its throat cancer.  
my throat feels swollen as if its goin 2 close up , its not sore just uncomfortable ,
I've been having the same problem. but something unexpected happened. after continuous days with a feeling like there's something stuck in my throat (painless) just turned to painful, like a sore throat. my throat started to sting whenever i swallow. after a day and a half my nostrils started to hurt. it stings whenever i breathe in and out. and then my throat completely stopped hurting for a few hours but my nostrils still stings. after the stinging sensation stopped, i could feel the same "something stuck in my throat"! its getting really weird and uncomfortable. the pain in my nostrils went on for two days until one day after a nap, it comepletely dissappeared. something shocking led to another. my right ear was blocked. like i could hardly hear from that ear. this event just happened today. now im waiting to consult with a doctor.

so basically my weird illness moved from my throat to nostrils to ears. (all three are connected) there were mucus and cough in between. the feeling of something stuck in my throat is still there. so i thought it was all connected. its worrying. help!
Thanks for writing to the forum!
In all probability you have a bad case of acid reflux or GERD. The food and acid that is thrown up can block your eustachean tube and can  also cause tingling in the nose. I would recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system).
The second possibility is that you are allergic to something, either a food item or generally in air. Common allergens are pollen, mold, dust, pet dander, cosmetics or drugs. You must get an allergy test done, either a skin test or RAST, to know what you are allergic to. Seasonal allergies are generally due to pollen or dust. Any cosmetic you apply on face or eye or even for your hair like shampoos or dyes too can cause allergies. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

thank you so much!
without your probabilities, i wouldn't have told my doctor about what i might have. he said i have a bad case of acid reflux. he told to avoid me certain foods, especially fatty and acidic foods. he also prescribed me something to treat it. and again, thank you ver much!
A related discussion, Why do I always feel like somethings in my throat? was started.
I also have the hair like feeling in the back of my throat. Ive tried gargling, eating toast, drinking soda, water, hot tea, i even swabbed at it with a child safe q-tip. I tried getting it out with my finger almost making myself sick. Everytime i keep my mouth still it continues to irritate me causing me to cough. I am 99.9% sure there really is a hair there and it's not some health issue but i cant get any sleep because of it.  Can anyone help?
A related discussion, Feeling of hair in back of throat was started.
A related discussion, wow was started.
i have the same problem! Exactly the same!! driving me crazy for about 3 days now....by the sound of everyone eles post i guess i should get used to it. AND YES i didnt think i would find any info on here about it but i too am amazed that so many others have this symptom.
READ THIS COMMENT IF ANYONE ELSE IS WORRYING ABOUT THIS PROBLEM IVE HAD IT MYSELF

all you guys wondering what it is its actually a good sign having healthy tonsils if you have them but what it is is built up bacteria that the tonsils gather to protect you from any bacteria coming in and you can get it out open your mouth wide try to tense your throat/tonsils if you notice a flash of white on the sides you can romove it by stickin your fingers inside the wall where its located and push gently letting it reveal more.....
the bad part- you may feel like throwing up since itll roll out try to spit it out you may puke but ist better than the effin ***** sittn at the back of your throat it will literally smell like **** this being its alll bacteria. nothing bad
I feel the same way! It feels EXACTLY like a hair, and there WAS a hair on my lips right before it started (this time).  this is the third time it has happened, the first lasted a week or two, the second a day, and this time is it still going on, and it's been almost two weeks.  i have had acid reflux my whole life, but i am on medication that works fine.  i also have smoked occasionally for years. the thing is.. it feels JUST LIKE A HAIR. i just don't think it's something else. but the first time i messed with it so much to get it out.. it even made me vomit (without me messing with it). would a hair really still be there after vomiting? the other weird thing is that it is also in the back left of my mouth/throat (right on the edge) like about 5 other people have said. so bizarre.  it is really starting to effect my quality of life. i am seeing a dentist soon and will bring it up but i think my insistence of it being a hair will make me sound nuts.. it's gotten to the point where just seeing a stray hair makes me nauseous and nervous, like that one is going to get stuck too! am i going nuts?

thanks guys.
Hi, i was going over your story and i may have the same thing you have. You also might want to have an MRI with your doctor. This sounds strange but i can feel some kind of something growing in my throat. My doctor showed me an MRI back in 07 and it's still there. It's blocking the open part of the throat. Every time i swallow i can feel it and plus a little bump above it. The MRI picture showed it was blocking half of my throat up. Could this be some kind of growth?
how long does this take to go away if you don't physically remove it?
It feels like I've got something stuck in the back of my throat and it sometimes makes me want to go and be sick and I feel like there's an acid taste there aswell
A related discussion, Feels like something is on the back of my tongue was started.