Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Fingertip discoloration

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Fingertip discoloration

Our 14 month old daughter was hospitalized in early April with what the dr. called cellulitis. Her eye was swollen shut.  I put her to bed on a Wednesday night with what I thought was the start of pink eye.  She woke up Thursday morning with her eye swollen. By the time I got her to the clinic it was swollen to the point her eyelashes weren't visible.  She was admitted to the hospital for 3 days on IV antibiotics.  A couple weeks later on a Monday I picked her up from daycare and noticed her middle finger on her right hand was red.  I asked if she had got her finger shut in a door or something, but my daycare provider was unaware of any incident.  By Wednesday she was babying the finger and the redness had moved down to her middle knuckle, the nail bed was white, purple and red.  I took her to the doctor who prescribed antibiotics.  The discoloration cleared up after a full week on the meds.  This morning her thumb on the same hand is starting to look like the finger did at the start of the discoloration.  She is babying it again and when I try to touch it she cries.  
Her grandmother (paternal) had Raynaud's.  But from the little reading it is more common in women, not infants/toddler's.   Is it possible she could have this?  I will be taking her back to the doctor, but wanted to know what questions to ask or what tests to request.  
Thanks for any help.
1 Comment
Key Points
Raynaud's is a rare disorder that affects the arteries. The disorder is marked by brief episodes of vasospasm (narrowing of the blood vessels).
Vasospasm of arteries reduces blood flow to the fingers and toes. Rarely, it affects the nose, ears, nipples, and lips.
In most cases, the cause of Raynaud's isn't known. This type of Raynaud's is called Raynaud's disease or primary Raynaud's. Sometimes, a disease, condition, or other factor causes Raynaud's. This type of Raynaud's is called Raynaud's phenomenon or secondary Raynaud's.
If you have primary or secondary Raynaud's, cold temperatures or stressful emotions can trigger "Raynaud's attacks." During an attack, little or no blood flows to affected body parts. As a result, the skin may turn white and then blue for a short time. As blood flow returns, the affected areas turn red and may throb, tingle, burn, or feel numb.
Primary Raynaud's is more likely to occur in women than in men. It's also more likely to affect people who are younger than 30, have a family history of Raynaud's, or live in a cold climate.
Secondary Raynaud's is more likely to occur in people who are older than 30. It's also more likely to occur in people who have diseases or conditions that directly damage the arteries or damage the nerves that control the arteries in the hands and feet.
Other risk factors for secondary Raynaud's include injuries to the hands or feet, exposure to certain chemicals, repetitive actions, certain medicines, smoking, and living in a cold climate.
Most people who have Raynaud's have no long-term tissue damage or disability. However, people who have severe secondary Raynaud's may develop skin sores or gangrene. "Gangrene" refers to the death or decay of body tissues. Fortunately, severe Raynaud's is rare.
Your doctor will diagnose primary or secondary Raynaud's based on your medical history, a physical exam, and test results.
Primary and secondary Raynaud's have no cure. However, treatments can reduce the number and severity of Raynaud's attacks. Treatments include lifestyle changes, medicines, and surgery.
Most people who have primary Raynaud's can manage the condition with lifestyle changes. People who have secondary Raynaud's may need medicines in addition to lifestyle changes. Rarely, they may need surgery or shots.
You can take steps to avoid things that trigger Raynaud's attacks. Protect yourself from the cold and try to avoid emotional stress. Avoid medicines, substances, and activities that can trigger Raynaud's attacks. Include physical activity as part of your healthy lifestyle. Limit your use of caffeine and alcohol, and quit smoking.
You can help stop a Raynaud's attack once it starts. Warm up your hands, feet, or other affected areas right away. For example, place your hands under your armpits, run warm water over your fingers and toes, or massage your hands and feet.
If you have Raynaud's, see your doctor for ongoing care and take all medicines as your doctor prescribes. See your doctor right away if your Raynaud's symptoms get worse or if you develop sores on your fingers, toes, or other parts of your body.
If you have Raynaud's, you may benefit from taking part in a clinical trial. Clinical trials test new ways to prevent, diagnose, or treat various diseases and conditions. For more information about clinical trials related to Raynaud's, talk with your doctor.

Questions to ask before treatment:

What are my treatment options?
Will I need surgery?
What are the risks associated with treatment?
What are the complications I should watch for?
How long will I be on medication?
What are the potential side effects of my medication?
Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
Should I take my medication with food?

Questions to ask after treatment:

Do I need to change my diet?
Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
What can I do to reduce symptoms of Raynaud's disease?
What else can I do to reduce my risk for worsening Raynaud's disease?
How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
What local support and other resources are available?