Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Foot and hand cramps

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Foot and hand cramps

I have been getting severe cramping in my right hand and foot when I stand up or change positions.  There is a slight tingling in my right leg and then I have to stand still while the cramp happens.  Lasts only 15-20 seconds.  Am seeing a neurologist.  He did an EMG, results were normal.  Blood tests for potassium, thyroid all OK.  I have been on 3 medications so far (Buspar, neurontin, & an anti-depressant) and no change in symptoms.  I think he is on the wrong track with treatment (I would be much happier if the cramps would stop)!  Anyone have anything similar?  Thanks!
1 Comment

Some of the important causes of muscle cramps are overextension of the muscles,overweight,prolonged standing during the day,dehydration, alterations in the balance of salts in the bloodstream (such as a high or low sodium,calcium or potassium level),neuropathy(esp in diabetes),hypothyroidism,peripheral vascular disease(narrowing of the leg arteries which causes poor circulation),sarcoidosis,excess alcohol,nerve compression,multiple sclerosis,cerebral palsy,impending stroke and sometimes liver disease.

Some of these causes like dehydration,being overweight,alcohol intake and prolonged standing are modifiable by efforts of the patient. Stretching and massaging the affected muscle (usually a calf muscle) can usually relieve an attack of cramp. A painkiller such as paracetamol may help to ease muscle discomfort and tenderness that sometimes persists for up to 24 hours after a cramp has gone.

My advise is to consult a physician and rule out the above medical conditions by thorough investigations as without physical examination and investigations, pinpointing a diagnosis is tough.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.