Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Foul smelling urine.

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Foul smelling urine.

What causes my urine to have such a bad odor? I don't have any pain while urinating and the color is normal.
1 Comment
Welcome to the forum!
Generally bad odor is due to infection, mainly by E coli (can be otherwise asymptomatic). This can be diagnosed by urine culture. Strong fruity odor is due to uncontrolled diabetes. Interestingly urine odor changes in menopause too. Urinary bladder infection and kidney infections do produce strong smelling urine. Another reason is dehydration. Strong ammonia smell is due to protein breakdown.
There are some bacteria in the gut that produce hydrogen sulfide gas. Sometimes this gas is produced in such huge quantities that the sulfide oxidase enzyme in the wall of the gut is not able to oxidize all of it and convert it to thiosulfate. Hence the gas enters the blood stream and gets filtered by kidney into the urine. This gas has a smell of rotten eggs. You can test its presence by test strips available OTC.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please consult your doctor. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!