Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Frequent Urination, weight loss and white tongue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hi everyone,

I really need your help I becoming depressed as I can't find an answer from doctors.

My symptoms are the following:

- It started by having an having in increased feeling to urinate with an urge although my bladder is not that full. I can go like 10 times per day. sometimes.
- after 11 weeks I noticed that I have a white coated tongue or hairy tongue don't know exactly the diference. I know also sometimes experience a dry mouth
- with my tongue I also started to not have any appetite and I lost weight around 4 kilo in 2 months.

I did a CBC and urine tests and they are all normal. what tests should i do? what can it be? what should I look for? whichis the best doctor to consult?

Please any advise.
About your tongue- you might look up oral thrush and see if you think this might be the problem.  With a lack of appetite (anorexia is the medical term for that) and weight loss in addition to the tongue problem, you might consider seeing a GI (gastrointestinal) specialist.  

Do you feel that depression might be a cause of not being hungry for you?

About your frequent urination: Have you seen a urologist?  Did you get a culture on your urine or was it a urinanalysis (UA) only that was done?  I have interstitial cystitis myself, which is helped by trying to follow a special interstitial cystitis diet.  It is a condition which can cause frequent urination, pain, etc..  Overactive bladders are definitely a challenge.

urinologist a person in this field sounds like the best thing right now. your dr should be able to send you to a specialist in this field and stop playing guessing games i to had enough of my dr playing around with my health and found a new dr and was sent to a specialist. hope this helps and feel better.
Thank you for your answer.

- I noticed the white coat on my tongue 2 weeks after dental work and being on antibiotics for 8 days (Dalacin C 300mg), I also have a cavity since long time.
I did an oral swab which came back negative it said: no pathogens growth after 36 hours of incubation. this result exclude tush right? I did another one yesterday for confirmation and waiting for the results.

- I think depression could be the result. As I have been anxious since October 2012 and much much more since mid-January when I discovered this tongue. I started this anxiety cause of a fellatio that I have received from a sex worker.

- I went to an urologist and did an urine Culture and urine analysis. should I do other test like a urethra swab?

Do you think I should see a GI? I will see Saturday an oral pathologist for my tongue. you can see pics of my tongue on my profile, I think it is called hairy tongue as it is not trush (thrush) no ?
if I eat normally can depression and/or anxiety make me loose weight?
Was looking at the pictures today- I wonder how come it looks like orange rather than white on your tongue in them- have you been treating it with something topical or that would make it change from white to orange or is it somehow the camera?

I don't know what that is you got from that worker (and don't care to have it explained), but I'm sorry it happened.  Have you gotten counseling about the anxiety?

I would think a culture would be sufficient to look for infection.  If you are having urinary infection type symptoms despite having repeated negative cultures, you might ask the urologist about cystoscopy with hydrodistention of the bladder (done under anesthesia).

An oral pathologist sounds like an excellent specialist to go to in regards to your tongue.  The GI doctor you might want to see regarding the weight loss issue- have you been tested for celiac disease?

Depression for some can lead to eating more, for some, they can eat less.  If you are eating normally, it should not lead to weight loss.  Anxiety can lead to an increased output of cortisol, which can lead to increased fat around the middle.  But it also can potentially cause a rapid heart rate and walking about a lot, which could help burn calories.

1- I think it was orange cause mayeb of some food intake. I was putting on it Daktarin oral gel, although my tongue swab culture was negative. I have uploade pictures of Today

2- No i did not get counseling I am just stressing and doing tests, i did STD tests and they were negative.

3- My only urinary symptom is that I sometime feel like I need to go often to pee and like I have some pressure on the urethra. it can be maybe a NGU/ NSU, and urethra swab is not different than the urine culture and analysis?

4- no I was not testes fo this diseas and I do not really think it is such disease. I am 28 years old and was healthy.

As I said satuday I will see the oral pathologist/dentist and  I will try saturday to c also an infectiologist what do you think?
seeing an oral pathologist an infectiologist is the way to go. please keep us updated on your results.
I just came back from an oral pathologist/ dentist...as usual just told me food debris and ****...however he prescribed me Nystatin!!! which i don t think I will take.

I have just also got my CBC results for blood.everything looks normal compared to the two other test that I have done on december 26 2012 and january 16 2013, except for my lymphocytes which have changed fom 33% (dec), 30% (jan) and now 41% (March). Now I m getting really scared. the ENT doctor said it is normal but she hadn't seen my previous results to compare. Also my Eosinophilis are 6% and they were 0% in January.

I hope the infectiologist can help and I hope it is not a dangerous diseas.
You might want to ask about why you might be feeling pressure on the urethra so the doctor will start thinking in that direction in regards to your genito-urinary system- a urologist seems like they might be the best one for this issue.

Stress can have adverse affects on your health, including lowering resistance to infection and I hope the doctors figure this out quickly.  I guess the doctor who prescribed Nystatin felt you had an infection that would work on.

Did you see the doctor who specializes in infectious processes?  If so, what did they say?  

I have an old manual of diagnostic tests, which lists a reference range for adults where your number would be barely above normal for lymphocytes, but I hope the doctor took/will take the upward trend seriously.

Regarding the eosinophils, zero percent was a bit low and 6 percent is high according to my book's range (different labs have different ranges)- I believe this high number is significant and I hope the doctor will be able to pinpoint the cause- there are a number of possibilities listed in my book from allergies to more serious causes.
Thank you very much for your reply.

for my tongue, how can it be trush (thrush), bacteria or infection if my oral swab is negative?

I was on an anti fungal medication for one week, I do not know if it could has increased my lymphocytes. according to the ENT the 1% above the normal range which is 40% in this lab, it should be noted that in other labs it is 45%. the doctor said if there was an infection they would have reach much higher levels like 70 80%

Anyway, I will see the doctor who specializes in infectious diseases next week
you can see my results on my profile
If the swabbed areas where the discoloration or hairiness were and tested for all pathogens Nystatin treats and that came back negative and the doctor who prescribed it knew that, you might not want to go back to that doctor.

You listed numbers for Dec., Jan., and March- where did the 45 percent number come in- before in between the numbers you listed previously?  

I don't know why an anti-fungal anti-biotic would increase lymphocyte type of white blood cells- it doesn't seem likely to me, but I'm not a doctor.  I know sometimes different kind of antibiotics other than antifungals can kill off good bacteria along with bad and cause an overgrowth of yeast in the body (and often diarrhea too)- acidophilus capsules can help fight that problem, but again, I'm not talking about anti-fungal type of antibiotic.

I see on your one doctor's lab's eosinophil range where they put your result of 6 within their normal range, so your typical doctor wouldn't be concerned about it, but I think as a patient, if I had my number jump from 0 to 6, even though it was 2 with a range of 1-4 back in December, I'd want to get that rechecked to see if it went up even higher than 6 or if it is still w/in normal range.

Let me know what the infectious disease specialist has to say?
thanks fo your answer.  the doctor who prescribed nystatin is a dentist/oral pathologist and I think he didn t know much anyway he didn t seemed alarmed with my tongue, like all doctors that I have consulted. I did two oral swabs fo culture and they came back negative. I will a KOH fungal this weeks to completely exclude any fungal infection.

with regard to lymphocytes I was saying that in the fist two labs where I have done my tests the range was 20-45%, and my results over the last three months is 30, 33 n lastly 41%.  I will do another CBC this week as well. I hope this lymphocytes change is not something dangerous
Anxiety meds can cause a white tongue as can many meds, dry mouth, dental problems, mouth breathing.  I even found a website that says 'bad chi' can cause a white tongue LOL!
this white tongue is driving me crazy. I did two oral swabs and a KOH test all negative. so no fungi or bacteria.  I had some dental work done in December and I still have a rotten tooth which I had fo longue time but last year I had an abscess on this tooth.

I had a canal teatment done and a kind of a fake tooth put in put still not covered with a crown.
Can you get the rotten tooth taken care of?  Abcesses are definitely no fun and can potentially be dangerous, so I'm glad if that is cleared out.
thanks for your reply. I will get this tooth fixed soon I have to go back to my country to do it cause here it is very expensive. I am going back in 3 weeks.

I will try to consult a GI in addition to the infectiologist... hope to find an answer. I did another CBC today and my Lymphocytes droped as well as my eosinophil they are 2 now and my lymphocytes are 23! i was taking Lanzoprazole for a week and I read that it could lead to a WBC decrease....
by the way i have also gained 2 kilos, but still I don t have this hunger feeling...
Great news about those labs!!!  You had differential of your WBCs done, so even if your overall white blood cell count were driven down by the Lanzoprazole, I would think that would not make any difference to what percentage each part of the differential is- so I think it is great news on your eosinophil percentage and your lymphocyte percentage!

Also, good news about the weight gain- I hope it's because even though you are anorexic, you are not letting it prevent you from eating anyway!  Congratulations.

thanks for your reply, so u do not see anything alaming in my results?

With reagad to weight I am not anorexic :) I am 1.73 meters and 75,4 kilogams
Those latest results looked good to me with the reference ranges you gave previously.  When I say anorexic, I'm referring to your lack of appetite (using medical terminology there)... not to be confused with the eating disorder called anorexia nervosa, which is different.
Thanks for your input and clarifying anorexic. probably my lack of appetite is due to depression and anxiety. well the thing is that I don t get as hungry as before. but when I eat, I eat normal quantities.

ok so although the lymphocytes droped from 41 to 23 it is still ok as long as it is in the limits? I do not know if it changes somthing but the CBC in which it is 41% I took it at 8 PM and the 23% at 12 pm, I read that in the vening lymphocytes are higher
So, you are not eating as often as before?  

It appears to be a good sign to me that your lymphocyte percentage is no longer climbing and is in normal range- you might want to check with your doctor to be sure this drop is nothing that concerns them.
no i am not eating as often as before, less hunger feeling.

When i showed the result to the ENT doc who has been following me with my she didn t seemed worried. i will consult an infectiologist this saturday and maybe have another CBC to compare...:s hopefully it will be ok
staysafe, how long are you with the white tongue?

does the white tongue goes away for a while after meals and then returns?
I noticed it on january 14 2013, yes it partially goes and becomes more redish
it seems also that my frequent urination has appeased. I think it was from stress and anxiety
also when I talk and if i al stress it becomes worth, it becomes very dry
can you scrappe the white coating? in my case I can't.
u mean I can remove it by scraping it? no I can't
I have just done a CBC today. I did it at 8 pm two hours after playing soccer.

the results were in general similar to the last one that I have done 3 days ago EXCEPT that no my WBC are 14!!!!!!!!
When did you stop taking the Lanzoprazole that you said could depress your white blood cell count?  I wonder if there was some kind of rebound effect from discontinuing the medication?  Hopefully, the doctor you are planning to see tomorrow will have something to say about this latest result as well as know what to look for with your tongue situation.

I'm glad the percentages of the lymphocytes and eosinophils were still looking fine.  I'm glad to your urinary frequence had decreased with lessened stress and you were able to get out and play soccer.  I hope the soccer playing might have helped stimulate your appetite!  
Thank you very much for your reply. I stoped taking the Lanzoprazole around 3 days ago. does such rebound effect exists with medication?

Yeah after soccer I ate but I still don't have this  hunger feeling, when I have it it is very weak. and my weight has been the same since a week maintining at 75 kilograms which is good although I don t eat alot. Well anyway it is really weird that WBC count jump. but if the differentials are the same it is a good sign?
I really don't know, in response to your first question, just wondering.  A hematologist might know or someone at the drug manufacturing company who has access to the clinical study data on the drug might have the information, I don't know.

Small frequent meals are important when a person isn't that hungry.  A little here, a little there.  

The differentials part is good, but if I were in your shoes, I'd definitely want to point the increase out overall to the doctor tomorrow besides the tongue and lack of normal appetite issues.  Some people have less appetite when they are feeling down, and I know you mentioned depression over the doctors not being able to figure out what is wrong with you.  Some eat more, but some don't feel like eating when they have depression going on.  So, it's hard to really know what's causing the appetite drop, but it's good you are making efforts to continue eating, despite the reduction in hunger.
I went to the infectiologist today. She examined me and had a look at my CBC test and STD test and said I do not need any blood tests and that my tongue is normal and noticed that it gets dry. My tongue gets dry when I am stressed and during the day it is ok.

and for the WBC increase she said that she thinks it is an error! and that I may do another CBC in a couple of days...

Looks like no one can diagnose anything out of my situation.

is it normal to lose 500 grams overnight? I was 75,2 yesterday at 8 PM and today at 1PM I was 74,5.
I have mainly lost weight in my waist and legs, the lower body part in general, from the goin area till the bottom
Your weight difference from one day at night to the next in the afternoon is not uncommon.  I too fluctuate in weight and also can vary in weight depending on what time of day I weigh myself.

See private message re: some causes of loss of appetite.

I hope you can get your WBCs rechecked in the CBC as she suggested.
Many thanks for your input and your private message. I will recheck my CBC in one week. I checked your link. I think from the possible causes that are listed, I think it is stress or EBV or depression except if there are other infectious diseases that would cause a loss of appetit.

sometimes I get back my appetit, rather rarely and sometimes it goes completly
You're welcome!  I do hope you can seek out a Biblical counselor if you are a Christian or in some positive way get help with stress management and mood.  

Doing things for others, being involved in endorphine producing, mood boosting exercise, such as your soccer, finding things that interest you, eating foods rich in mood boosting good Omega fatty acids (such as walnuts, almonds, macadamia nuts, pumpkin seeds, freshwater fish, flaxseed meal), listening to soothing music, enjoying nature, and avoiding major stressors in your life are things you might want to think about.
if you want to compare your weight, weight yourself always at the same time. I am not surprise your weight is different at 1:00 PM and then at 8:00 PM
i did another CBC and all results are within normal range as well as the WBC which are 6.9. But still don t understant this increase to 14 for a while
Your body was fighting a little something and now that something has past and things are back to normal.
thanks for your clarification :) so now I can be relaxed.  If it was some sort of viral, dangerous infection it wouldn't have came back to normal in one week right?
I meant to say that's my guess of what it could be- I can't say for sure.  But it looks like you can relax about it to me! :0)  

Maybe you were exposed to some virus, but your body fought it off so you did not succumb to it where you actually came down with it?
what do you mean by came down with it? well when I had this 14% WBC I was feeling ok, only my nose was stuffed from time to time.
I mean, perhaps your body fought off a virus (causing the rise in white blood cell count) where you had been exposed to the virus, but didn't actually get a full-fledged case of the virus yourself.

Could an allergy have increased the WBC? I have uploaded the latest results on my profile If you can have a look and input compared to the others :) Many thanks for your help really
Now, I want you to know while I once graduated from vocational nursing school, it was many years ago, I am a layperson, and I am not a lab technician.  But one thing I noticed is that they are doing manual microscopic counts for the differential part of the white blood cell count (ie the counts for your basophils, etc.).  I believe I heard that is not always accurate because it is subject to human error- a manual count through a microscope versus a machine count.

But, in regards to your question, I found this:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003643.htm

It says a high white blood cell count can be caused by inflammatory disease and lists allergy as an example, so the answer is if you have an allergy, it CAN raise your white blood cell count!
Many thanks. since my results are ok now so everything is fine I guess.
You're welcome!  But please see the other thread for a couple of things I think would be worth checking into.
Hey could you please advise to which things I should be looking into
You might check and see if your doctor checked your thyroid function and an HgA1c to get a longer range picture of how your blood sugar is doing in you body.
*correction- your body, not you body
thank you livinghope for your advice. I will get this checked.
Just an update, I still have loss of appetit, weight loss and now I am losing hair from scalp and eyebrows!!

Which thyroid test should I do? and any other tests?

I had checked my sugar levels in Janvuary and they were ok. I am in distress
Did you do an HgA1c test, which looks at a longer range of what your blood sugar was doing?  It's probably fine, but that's the test of choice now when it comes to blood sugar.

Stress can cause both loss of appetite (which would lead to weight loss) and also can cause one to lose hair.  Have you taken any steps toward stress management of late?  Also, did you have your cortisol level checked?

TSH and free T4 would likely be fine to see how your thyroid is functioning.

One site says iron deficiency is often an overlooked cause of hair loss, so you might get that checked if you haven't already.  The same site also lists depression and appetite loss as possible symptoms of low iron.  

(See private message.)
Many thanks for your input.

What is worrying me is that for nearly 3 months I have been experiencing this loss of appetit it all started after my tongue turned white/hairy and had a temperature of 37,2 Celcius for one week...
And I feel it is related to my encounter with a female sex worker. I had unprotected fellatio and protected vaginal. and probably my mouth came into contact with her saliva.

I tested negative for all STDs as well as 4 times for HIV last one was 22 weeks after the encounter.

Could I have cought something, a bacteria a virus, that is causing this? Or is it only my mind due to anxiety and stress...I am scared
I didn't read closely your last post, because I don't like it.  But I will tell you many years ago, when I was in nursing school, they believed then that there was a seven month window period where if a person had contracted HIV, it might not show up in testing.  I don't know what the medical community is saying/advance made in testing are today when it comes to the window period where you may not know you have it.
Why you do not like the last post? it was my first time to do such act and I regret it so much I never wanted to do such thing and it is like I am waiting for a punishement. I do not know if all these symptoms are only related to anxiety and stress.

The window period for HIV today is 3 months. and if these symptoms are related to this it should have showed up on the tests
I just had my CBC results. I have 7.6 WBC and 20,8% Lymphocytes .  10 days ago I had 6.9 WBC and 30% Lymphocytes. 16 days ago 6.1 WBC and 22% Lymphocytes.

Is it normal to have such fluctuating Lymhocytes and WBC?
I think it is normal for things to fluctuate (check with your doctor on this), but if something is trending consistently upward time after time or going consistently downward time after time, the doctor might be interested in monitoring it to see if it goes outside normal range.
Thank you for your input much appreciated.

I had my Thryroid function test fo TSH Free T4 and T3 and they were normal. Should I do other tests for Thyroid? should I do a cortisol test? hormone blood test?

I am still waiting for the HgA1c test.

I aslo did a CD4 CD8 test. My CD4 are 850 and CD8 550 with a ratio of 1.4.

Well my Lymphocytes are just not stable one time low other time high but still in normal range.
It sounds like you don't need to do any further thyroid function testing with those three tests coming back normal.  I think with your hair loss, it wouldn't hurt to get a cortisol test run.

It sounds like your immune system is working.  You might find this article of interest:
http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/immuneSystem/Pages/structure.aspx

I know anxiety and stress can play a huge factor on the body and cause very real physical symptoms.  From what you've told me, I believe your conscience is at work and you are afraid of what might happen.  Your anxiety has a foundation to it which I believe needs to be addressed.  
the thing that is not related to my anxiety for sure is this white tongue that I do not seem to know how to remove it neither doctors :s it is getting me crazy and no one knows what it is
It's an objective symptom to have a coating on the tongue.  But something I learned from a doctor when I told him about bouts for weeks of the flu is that anxiety/stress can lower your resistance (affect your immunity).  God knows what's going on with your tongue, even if no doctor can find out what it is.  

here are my Lab results.

Zink: 160  N.range 46 150

Haemoglobin A1C: 4.9 N.range: 4.7 - 6.5

Ferritin  96.0    N.range 22- 322

Liver and kidney tests normal. except serum Sodium which is a little high 147 N.range 132 - 146

I also did testosterone, calcium, cortisol, progesterone and waiting for my results.

I did a stool analyses: few Entamoeba hisolytica/dispar cysts was found

I have 2-3 pus cells
1-2 RBC

I am still losing rapidly my eyebrows hair and losing hair from scalp easily.
my eyebrows also itch sometime and it is mild itching what can it be? I am afraid to lose them
Looks like you can cut back a little bit on the zinc.

Looking great on your HgA1c!

Do you eat a lot of salty foods?

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/amebiasis/

Check with your doctor about the parasites problem!  See PM for more info.

Hey I hope you are well.

I took medications for the parasite I have and did a stool test 10 days later and only few yest cells were found.

I also just got today a Candida stool culture and got these results.

"Occasional yeast cells" and "Growth of Candida spp. [non albicans] which is resistant to all antibiotics"

What does this mean?

Can this explain my loss of appetit, white tongue?

thanks
Doctors always say results are normal, but it's not! If your results not in limit range, even small changes shows problem!!! Did they check thyroid hormones, its VERY SIMILAR signs? About yest infection: I healed it with simple soda (powder) - drinking with water or chew it a few times a day...
can you please post pictures of your "white tongue" to see what you're talking about? do you smoke?