Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Gastro problems with severe nausea

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Gastro problems with severe nausea

I am 23 years old and 3 years ago I had to have my gallbladder removed after an ultrasound revealed what they thought was a tumor but turned out to be a calcified gallstone. About 3 1/2 months ago I was given the antibiotic Cipro for an upper respiratory infection. Not even a week after completeing these antibiotics I started having issues with nausea every couple of days. It has gotten worse since then to the point I hate food and thats not good when you only weight 113 and battled to gain those 13 pounds for 3 years. I have been diagnosised with gastritis twice in the past year but was never given medication or anything. I am scared to go see the gastroenterologists and have the test ran because when I had my gallbladder removed I had an allergic reaction to the breathing tube and ended up in the emergency room. That was absolutely terrifing for me! Has anyone found any over the counter medications that work to help with the nausea?
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Since you have been diagnosed with gastritis and have nausea the symptoms could be due to could be exacerbation of the GERD.  It could also be hiatal hernia. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole,  lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried. Many a times a persisting H pylori infection can be the cause behind acidity not responding to treatment.
Life style changes that will help include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
Other causes of chronic nausea are diabetes and hypothyroidism. Electrolyte imbalance too can cause nausea. IBS, gluten or lactose intolerance, parasites in gut too can be the cause. A stool test should be done for worms, giardiasis etc. Liver and kidney dysfunction is another cause. Hence kidney and liver function tests should be done. Also if nothing is found then food challenge test to detect food intolerance should be done.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Hope this helps. Take care!