Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Gilberts Syndrome

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Gilberts Syndrome

Hi Doc its me again.
I just need some advise please.
I wrote to you about all my symptoms and the tests that have been done on me with no result.
My Doc has put me on Azathioprine?I have been on it for about 5 weeks and he sent me for tests, Full Blood Count and a Liver tests?
He called me Yesterday and told me that the Full Blood Count is fine and the Liver Tests show that I have "Gilberts Syndrome" ?
He told me that its nothing to worry about although he does have a patient that battles like when he eats meat, he gets fatigued etc.He advised me to slow down on alcohol and protein but its not the cause for all my problems.He also advised me to search the net to find out more whicj I have done.There is conflicting info as some sites say it the Syndrome doesnt have symotoms, maybe fatigue etc, and other sites say that there are numeroud symptoms, just like the ones I have?

I really just want some clarity in what to do please?
Some sites say to take enough protein, my Doc says to reduce protein intake (Red Meat mostly) ?
Also to take Milk Thistle to help?
Please help with this, not sure what to do?

Thanks for you support on this site
Gilbert's syndrome is a benign condition of bilirubin metabolism.  It is normally observed and does not pose a serious health threat.

I am not aware of studies supporting milk thistle to help your symptoms.

If there continues to be concern about the liver and gallbladder, imaging the abdomen with an ultrasound or CT scan can be considered.

Another opinion with a GI physician can be considered if the diagnosis is in question.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I, too, was just diagnosed with this by accident.  I never knew I had high bilirubin.  Apparently it runs in families and both my sisters have it as well.  It's even higher if I've been sick, not eating well and I really notice my eyes turn yellowish.  My docs also told me it's benign and nothing to worry about, as long as you're not feeling any pain (gallstone, etc) I had an upper abdominal ultrasound done and everything looks to be ok.

Although, when I was at the chiro yesterday, I was reading an alternative health magazine article -- Olivia Newton John was on the cover and it went into detail about Gilberts Syndrome and foods to eat, etc.  You might want to check it out - it was the current issue I believe, August or September 2007.