Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Gnats or Fruit flies following me

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Gnats or Fruit flies following me

This may sound very unususal,and beleive me I wouldn't even mention it, if it hadn't become such an anomoly to me. For the past 3 months or so I have noticed that I have gnats flying around me at home. Just a couple,but they follow me from room to room, wherever I go. They also follow me to work,and I have them in my office too. Then when I go to another person's office, they follow me in there too. So essentially it's me they are after. There is no food or fruit anywhere,and I do not wear cologne. I have not done anything different from when they were not constantly around me. I am not sure why they are around me, but as you can see, it has become a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you
Viewing 1-200 comments:
first of all if you have plants around where you are to then you should get rid of them, plants are one of the main places that Gnats/fruit flies are attracted to because of the moist soil from being watered. good luck keeby and let me know how it goes.
I have no plants inside my office or house. There are trees outside,and I have ivy growing on my house. But it just feels like they are constantly around me personally.

Thank you for replying Paul.
Gee that's odd.  The only thing I can think of is that you are exuding a scent that they like.  Have you got a blood sugar problem like diabetes?

Good luck.
Do others notice these knats around you? What do they say or think?
Not trying to be rude, but do others see the flies?  Also, do you wear deodorant?  If so, what kind?
I know it's odd, I even hesitated posting it. I do not have diabetes. I know others see them but they have not mentioned anything. I wear deodarant,and it's the same one I ususally wear. I am just as stumped!
Don't feel too odd.  I have this problem, too, and so did another girl in my high school.  It just happens to the best of us.  :)
I have the same problem and I am at a loss what to do. I feel uncomfortable because when I go to someone's home, people begin swatting and I know I brought the gnats in.  I would love a doctor to coment on this.  This problem is making my life difficult.  I also do not have diabetes, rarely wear perfume, wear clean clothes, wash my hair regularly and wear the same deodorant I've been wearing for year. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've read that taking a B complex vitamin will make you taste "bad" to biting insects.
I wonder if taking it would subtly change your aroma and chase away the gnats.

Wishing you the best,
Carol
Well from what I have found they are attracted to low salt but are repelled by high salt. We secrete salt from sweating. Are you retaining water? Do you happen to have well water where you are? Do you have high or low blood pressure? I have to eat more salt because I have very low blood pressure. Well water could be another reason as it can contain iron. By using a water softener which used salt to soften the water could help. I think your answer could very well be in your water even if you don't have a well. Buy a kit at the store to test your water. Your pipes could be a problem too if you don't have a well. Anyway I hope you get your answer.
Paula
wow...they follow me too! it's so embarrassing! i work on the 43rd floor and theyre still around me at work! i know it's me!!!
i too have no idea what it could be. i'm clean and dont wear perfume, etc etc etc...
i feel like pig pen.

i too hope a doc could respond to this.

best,
pp
I've had that happen, but not regularly. It is possible that the shampoo or soap  you are using is fruit based or fruit scented. I would try switching out all my soaps/shampoos/detergents to something else and see if the problem resolves itself.
I'm 46 and knats have been following me all my life, from my childhood drinking NY city water to my horse farm on well water in Virginia.  I tried taking daily b-complex vitamin shots for months with no deterrence to the gnats whatsoever. I have no blood sugar problems, low blood pressure and a very low heart rate which I understand is common to rh negative blood types, which I think is what the gnats are attracted to, just my hunch, as I could be standing with 10 people and all the gnats are above my head.  I use lots of Deet, so if it's poisonous, I should be dead, but am one of the healthiest people I know.  It's easier to blend in on a farm, but I can see why you're self conscious bringing gnats into a high-rise office daily!  I'll check back periodically in the event I discover an answer, as I research this often. What is your blood type? I'm O negative.
all i can say is that i know someone who had gnats nest in her hair and she had to go to the doctors about it. This may not be the case for you but just thought i would mention it. good luck hope you get this sorted out soon.
I have the same problem, it drives me insane!  My blood type is also O negative.  I wonder if that could be it.  I would be interested to know what the blood type is of other people with the same problem
I too have Rh negative blood.... A-, and I have noticed this problem with fruit flies/gnats.

I don't have any problems with fluit flies/gnats, but I know that mosquitos love me. They leave my husband alone and go after me every time !
Help!! My sister has the same thing and had it for over a year now. This morning I was brushing my sons hair and I found an adult flying out of it. There is NO chance that it was just passing by I brushed it out. No one will believe my sister and she has cut her hair VERY short. Tried mayonaise, bleach, hair color, vasoline, vinegar, almost everything she can think of. I am so pleased to see that she is not the only one who has this she feels as if she is. She now has big bald spots on her head. We have been searching for help. She has been turned away from emergency rooms, hair stylists, specialists, dermatalogists, she cant take another dr telling her to go home she is crazy. She is on the verge of a breakdown. I am so glad you are talking about this. If anyone has any ideas we can investigate please contact me at ***@**** with the title bug help. I need some answers for my sweet sister, and how to prevent them from coming to the rest of my family.
I guess the email addy didnt work. But I will definently be back checking in. My sister doesnt have any of the above issues, diabeties, perfume, etc., she is pretty healthy. I am not sure of her blood type, but will find out. I am however rh- and have been around her often, with no bugs following me yet. I pray they dont, because I see the pain and loss in her eyes.
Hello everybody,
I've had this problem for over 3 years now. I finally realised that the flies do not live in my hair, but that they are attracted to me. They follow me in school, restaurants, coffee shops, just about anywhere. I am so desperate to find a solution to my problem. Has anyone had luck finding a "cure"????? My self-esteem has been affected in a really bad way. People think you are dirty when you are not. Please help!
Wow, I have been dealing with this for almost 2 years now.  Somehow I have tiny, tiny flies that are around me and actually seem to come from my scalp.  I have chronic fatigue, skin itching, deep pain in legs and abdomen.  There is a vague hum. When I put my head underwater in the tub there is a disturbing noise. I have not had any fibers but my other symptoms match with Morgellans disease the fiber producing disease.
  I have been able to see a lot of very tiny fly residue by the ceiling light fixture.  I can clean it out and more reappears.  This living in an air-conditioned house with windows closed.  The other rooms don't get this, just the one I sleep in.
  The medical community has not diagnosed this problem. My theory is it is a zoonetic (disease that animals get and has occurred in humans) problem and is a smaller verion of the grub fly that cows get.  Second theory is that it is from the biological control agents used in greenhouses that has lead to this problem. "Biological Controls" are organisms developed and sold to manage certain types of pests. The "white fly parasite" theoretically could be transferred to humans.
  Anyway this problem *****.  It's impossible to talk about because of the crazy factor.  I refer to my chronic fatigue and I have had some relief (because I have had joint pain) from neurontin and an antidepressant, vitamin D, Calcium and B12) None the less the flies continue and they are coming from me!    I will check back often.
Dear Lord, this is happening to me too.  I have NO idea where the gnats come from but definitely from me.  It started last year afer I had symptoms (but negative tests for) rhuematic fever.  I have had sinus infections (all test also negative), aches, and fatigues ever since.  

Geez - This is ODD.  And I have gone to the docs with my throat on FIRE during all of this and had labs come back negative.  No way am I asking the docs about the gnats!

Anyoen successful in dealing with this?
I used to think the flies lived on me, but they dont, i am certain! All I know is that I attract them. Vitamin B, I've tried it a long time ago and I haven't experienced any changes. I asked my doctor once, and the doctor told me they were probably just mosquitos and I needed to buy repellent. Tried insect repellent, didnt work either. Why is this happening? It is so frustrating.
In our area we have been having a hard time understanding why these gnats are in the house, like house flies would be. It's been about 3 months   that this has been going on. When I go to other peoples houses I see them too, they say I don't know what the he.. is going on or why their here or where their coming from. Even when I go out to different stores or restaurants I see them too, I know they were already there, are you sure that's not what it is?? They seem to be a lil of an epidemic right now for some odd reason. That's why I even came across this site, I was look'n to see how to get rid of them and spread the word. I found a site that said use red wine vinegar and Dawn dish liquid. Mix the Dawn and vinegar in a lil bowl, cover it with saran wrap, poke holes in it just enough for the gnats to crawl in and they will not be able to get back out and they'll die. The mixture attracts them. Hope this helps....Kaylove
I have the same problem. It has been for a couple of years now. I have been told that it could be because I drink red wine. They are attracted to that.

I really don't know. It's only one fly at a time, so it's no big deal really. Because we have lots of plants at work I don't think anyone even imagines that I'm the one bringing the fly in, but I swear the darn thing follows me from home. It's become my new companion. lol

I am curious, though, and wondering why a doctor hasn't posted anything. This is a medical forum, isn't it?
well . i have started to doubt if its the soap i use. it doesn't have a distinctive smell but i assume its made from fruit acids. i end up seeing a fly or 2 in my room only when i bathe in it. I think you should try totally changing ur toiletries and switch to other anti-bacterial non fragrance brand to c if it makes a difference. worked wid me.
I have a similar issue... It seems I attract house flies and fruit flies. I shower everyday...I've been using the same hair products and makeup for years so I feel like it must be something else.

I shouldn't have much salt in my system as don't eat salty foods... I do drink a lot of tea... sometimes I'll have sugar in that...

Does anyone with the same issue here take the prescriptions Portia or Celexa? I'm wondering if that could be it?
Something that might help:

When you go to sleep, make a bowl of soapy water.  Put a bright light shining just on it, and go to sleep.  This should kill the gnats.  If doesn't stop them from following you, but if you do it on a regular basis if should lessen the amount significantly.

This also kills flies too.
I juts want to say that I too have been using the same soap, lotion, shampoo, conditioner and perfume for ages and three years ago, these flies have started being attracted to me. Is there any way we can email a doctor on this site about this issue?
Hey I am the sister of Jade moonlight and I am so happy to know that I am not alone and I am not crazy. I have pulled out all my beautiful hair to catch a bug.I have bottles of the fly and every stage of growth and I am in the process of sending them to the bug olosist for him to identify. For me I beleive the fly had laid eggs in a  cut on my scalp and the hatch eggs every 2 or 3 weeks, by the way i have spent alot of money for doctors to say i am on drugs and or crazy and they see nothing. but the facts are I got tired of these flies flying out wherever i went, I got my mothers house invested. and mine to. i killed them with balsalmic vinegar and soap water. peppermint down your drains. I picked up the flies at a house I live in on the river on a lot full of fruit trees, slept with a window open and no screen often with a light on which attracts them. We had them all over the house, but I didnt know then what I know now. Although I can kill them outside of my head I cannot get them out  or kill them, just stop them from getting to the hatching flying stage. I spend somuch time combing and pulling out eggs, my cat is rejected cause I don't have time to pet him. but them flying out hurts my self esteem. I wont go anywhere or se e anyone. they will only think I am crazy while I am investing there house. I wear a cap everyday.I look down always.
I have tried bleach , color , lice stuff every kind and scabes pyrimthium worked the best but my doctor wont give me anymore just refills of crazy pills. Vasoline is the thing that I use the most, so no relationships are even a question. My hope is that one identified we can figure how to killl them under my scalp.
also my mom watched a spanish show on the spanish channel here in austin texas and they had people like us and a real research center i think in alabama. one person was dying from this stuff.. My mom cant remeber the  centers name and i cant speak spanish to call. so her i am. God bless everyone of you and we can beat it together. bondsman
   I haven't heard of any research in Austin or in Alabama. So if you get more information on it please post.  There is some research on the Morgellons fiber disease in Oklahoma and in California but it took many years to get the research started.  
   There is that response you get (I got) when you talk about what you are experiencing and it is strange - so I need to see a Psychiatrist!  
   I used baby oil with lavender for a while but it got so hot for me in the summer I changed to using (all over not just head) conditioner with coconut.  Well I still have the same problem so it just helps moisturize.  My hair is extremely dry and brittle and doesn't really grow anymore.  
   With community there is hope.  God bless you too. Ladyfly
ladyfly.

I have all the symptoms you  mentioned except the deep  pain is in my legs and ARMS. But I have had the gnats thing since high school (im now 26. My scalp has gotten really really itchy over the past few years, to the point where there is always sores all over my scalp from scratching so much. I have been checked for lice several times but def. do not have it.  The Fatigue and intense leg pain has made life unbearable, ive had to stop working. i can hardly take care of my toddler not to mention maintain my relationship with my husband. Not sure if the other symptoms are related but even just dealing with the gnats alone would be too much!

-Tessa
I wanted to know, do these flies follow everywhere, or are there certain places they leave you alone? I know the flies do not follow me everywhere, but almost :( My scalp is dry but not itchy. I honestly think the flies are attracted to me, because if they lived in my scalp, they should be everywhere...Any opinions?
  There are certain times I am left alone.  When I am tense - no action.  When I am relaxed more stingy feelings.  The scalp has some good size muscles, maybe it's from the muscle they make their way out of and then to or near the hair folicle to exit.  I have had scalp sores in the past as well. I used some of the treatments for scabies (found a forum on "Topix"  web site and followed their advice even though I probably never really had scabies ) and at some point got rid of allmost all sores (there is one that stays with me)
.Guess it will be some time before this can all make sense to me entirely.  Two things I know, I'm sane and I have this problem that I don't feel like talking about tonight.  I will go to bed and before I fall asleep I will endure some very strange scalp sensations.  I do now sleep with a towel on my head. I don't have lice, I don't have scabies.  I wash my hair every day.  Quite the journey we are on   - together now.  
   Goodnight and don't forget to VOTE !
I have had this problem too for the past 4 years or so. I am not dirty, my house is clean, I bathe, and I had 2 doctors look at me funny like I was insane. One recommended using bug spray. Honestly, I have done so much research and googled everything and there are just no helpful answers. There is something in my body chemistry that apparently changed since this was not an issue a few years back- it's not a matter of anything external like lotions or the soap I use. Not diabetic- I do have acid reflux and coincidentally I think the issue may have been around about the same amount of time as the acid reflux although I don't believe that could be it or everyone with acid reflux would atract insects- but I could be wrong. Flies and gnats follow me- I don't like to go to restaurants and just turned down a pot luck at a new church today for fear I'd have swarms of flies around me and then ruin the food, and worse- they'd know it's me. A couple of them followed me into the new church today and it was really embarrassing so I just left afterwards. I think some people at my previous church may have realized that I had this issue- it was me, and now I am not very welcome there and I can't do anything about it but cry because I really loved being there. Doctors will not help me. I have a very low self esteem now and can't join groups or make new friends because of this. I don't think doctors ever read these sites. The only thing that's left for me to try is a parasite cleanse and I have a feeling that will do little or nothing but I will try it and if it works or doesn't I'll let you know. I am open to herbal , homeopathic, and alternative medicine- obviously can't get regular doctors to help- I don't think they even know a blasted thing about it or had any patients complain about it - they are truly clueless and I have asked an ER doc, my endocrinologist (have hypothyroid), and also asked gastroenterologist about parasites and he just asked why do I think I have parasites? which just indicated to me he thought I had that condition where people think they have parasites and they really don't. I am not a lunatic- there is something internally wrong in my body that's attracting flies. Maybe I am dying.
I don't think it is because someone has O type blood.  I'm B positive and have had that problem since I was a child.  It stopped for a while and then started up again.  Drove me insane just thinking of the insects crawling through my hair and possibly making babies there that I'd wash my hair all the time too.

Now that I'm older, I assume there is something in the way that food is processed and reacts to the body's chemistry or there is something in the water.

Mexijap97
try using or spraying listerine around you they hate that and will stay away from it.  GOod luck
Maybe there is a common denominator? Personally, I am taking an educated guess and I stronly suspect it has its roots in some type of digestive problem. I started the Renew parasite cleanse today. I am also trying to avoid dairy, except for natural plain yogurt and avoiding too much sugar and processed foods. Lots of green veggies all last week too in anticipation for starting the cleanse. I have been reading about eating more raw fresh veggies and fruits as helpful with digestive enzymes that are often lacking in processed foods and fast food, etc.

I forgot where I read it now, but I saw information regarding having a blocked bile duct in the liver that can contribute/cause digestive problems. I wouldn't have thought about the liver, as I barely drink often enough to count it and don't do drugs- only take certain prescritions and rarely OTC meds either that can affect your liver. Now, it just came to me- I did have a small cyst on my liver the doctor found (incidentally) but said that's "normal" and nothing to be concerned about- apparently it's common??!? Anyway, I have been reading up on natural foods that specifically help the liver and about herbs too. Last week, I was drinking Traditional Medicinals Dandelion tea (it's kinda bitter, FYI) and this week I think I'll get some dandelion greens at Whole Foods in the produce and make some salad out of it. just more raw fresh green food in general i guess. The dandelion is said to help stimulate the liver to create bile which is needed for digestion. I probably have sluggish digestion which also means food is sitting in the colon too long and creating additional toxins.

I am O + blood type which I believe is the most common of all.  I don't suspect it has anything to do with that though. The reason i rule out blood type is because I have had this issue about 4 years and never before, plus over half the population has this same blood type.

Anyone else have any digestive issues, whether or not it's been confirmed or diagnosed by a doctor? I really think this is a critical factor to the underlying cause of this condition we have that no doctor has yet to comment on, other than spray poisonous DEET all over yourself because flies and gnats are just more attracted to some than others- I just don't accept that statement- it's not helpful at all. It's not a matter of personal cleanliness- this is definitely an internal issue.
please let me know how your cleanse goes!
Hi there- thought I'd give an update about the Paragone (Renew brand) cleanse. I started it Nov 13th and have been following it exactly. I have cut out dairy on this cleanse except a very small amount of cheese last night.) I wanted to see if all my phlegm issues would resolve or lessen as well. It's a little better, but I think I have to really be on a dramatically reduced/eliminated dairy diet for a few months to see what I think I want to see. I have been contemplating whether the gnats and flies are actually attracted to the excess mucus in my body from the acid reflux and sinus drainage (any thoughts to this for anyone? looking for a common denominator here). I've read that "eye gnats" are attracted to mucus around the eyes. I have read that a parasite issue may contribute to the excess mucus issue in the stomach and throat and often people who have too much mucus in the stomach also have it in their throats which is the case for me. Of course, the conventional medical diagnosis is acid reflux and sinus drainage from allergies, but I gather we are all looking for a more in depth answer here. I have read that parasites can actually be the root cause of numerous medical issues, but I am not so sure that a conventional doctor would agree with that. At this point, we are all looking answers beyond conventional medicine, and unfortunately, all I can do is guess and experiment on myself and let people know if it works.

2 Sundays ago, a couple flies had followed me into church. I have not noticed any lately and I wonder if it's because of the cleanse helping, but I'm not entirely sure yet. It has become colder outside and flies and gnats aren't usually around much after it gets cold- although last year during Thanksgiving they were an issue still, just not as obvious. I have been taking a general multivitamin everyday along with one Garlique tablet. I tried the garlic and vitamins last year too on their own, but it did not really resolve the issue, although it lessened slightly. I have been avoiding lots of processed foods and sugar (I've read parasites love sugar.) I am not avoiding natural sugars though like fruits and raw honey. Lots of raw fresh produce in general which is supposed to help with digestion (therefore hopefully less mucus from acid reflux?) because of the natural digestive enzymes that are more plentiful in raw produce but lessen if you cook everything. I went to dinner at someone's house last night and prayed I would not have any flies or gnats trying to come after me and there were none. I will update more later , as I am just half way done with the cleanse- supposed to go 15 days then wait about a week, then do it again. I think parasites and flies and gnats may have some type of insect "communication" going on that signals other parasites "hey this is where we can feed" so hopefully killing any parasites will destroy the attraction to my body too? I have not actually "seen" any parasites from the cleanse (ew, I know) but that doesn't mean there aren't any in excess. Hard to imagine that everyone actually has parasites whether they are going through our issue or not, they probably just aren't out of control. If this cleanse works, then I think it would be a good idea to do a parasite cleanse maybe every 6 months.
Where are you all from?? Could it be a problem with the areas in which you live? Do you live by A garbage Dump??? For example I do and have heard about these conditions although have not experienced it myself. Also i live by a Very Industrial Community. I know and have read everyones Blog and understand they follow you and that one woman Now lives on a farm, I understand This is very frustrating. Also what kind of Trees/ Chemicals in Grass Such as Fertilzer. I have had swarms of nats where i live just never really been atracted to me. There has to be somthing in common here. I know if we Work together we can figure this out. Stay Positive
GOD BLESS YOU ALL
DANH28
Here to Help
Have any of u heard of Morgellons if not I would def look along this route!
hello everybody. This is alicia600 (i forgot my password and had to create a new account). Manicblogger, I am also considering a cleanse. I wish you all the luck in the world.
I am in TX- no I don't live by a garbage dump. It's pretty clean around where I live and my home is clean, I am clean. It's not the city- this happens when I travel and others that live and work by me don't have this issue. Gnats and flies just follow me -it's most definitely internal problem- I just can't put my finger on it and really wish a doctor could help. I haven't had any of my surroundings change, but I am thinking it's possibly linked somehow with my acid reflux since I noticed this more or less about the same time as the dianosis- it's really the only connection I can make so far. I just can't get it under control I guess (24x7)and my body makes a lot of mucus- have to clear my throat all the time, sinus drainage....I was pretty disappointed today because I guess it warmed up just a little outside and I saw a gnat at the bank fly in front of me and the teller commented on it. Also, one followed me into a grocery store too today. I am not giving up on the cleanse though, as it kind of seemed it might have been doing a little something, at least until today- not real sure. I may do a couple of rounds of it actually. The package insert said you can repeat it for up to 3 months. Benz_alicia and anyone thinking of doing a cleanse, if you start the cleanse, do it exactly as instructed or at half strength- don't ever do more than the recommended dose- the reason is because Paragone contains wormwood which is very strong stuff. It won't benefit you at all to blast yourself with it (would actually be harmful)- you just have to be patient with it and keep taking it. I am going to give this lots of time and repeat the cleanse at least once more. It has to at least be helpful to cleanse your body of parasites. Whether or not that will specifically make gnats and flies stop coming around, I don't know. Oddly, some body aches seem to have diminished some and a feminine issue (sorry to be gross here, but in the interest of helping everyone have to mention that I had a normal discharge daily but seems to have lessened as well.) I go to the doctors often enough and things always check out normal which is good, but it's a small issue according to me- they probably think I am a wacko....Good luck to you too! ~Happy Thanksgiving everyone!~
Hi- I am looking into Morgellons. It does sort of describe the sensations I had (not so much lately anymore) of feeling tiny bites on my head (Of course, I really think I was being bitten which is one reason I am doing the cleanse). However, I have no sores that describes Morgellons and it doesn't mention if the Morgellons sufferers experience the flies and gnats issue or not. Interesting though. I have had a few extremely tiny little red specks crop up on my arms and legs but I am thinking that is maybe getting older or a guy at the health food store it was possibly a vitamin B deficiency. Noone can really see them unless they get out a magnifying glass of course, but they do see what I am talking about after they strain their eyes! I am not so concerned about the itty bitty red dots though- broken capillaries apparently. The only comparison I can come up with is sadly, you know how in the infomercials, etc about donating funds for the poor in Africa, they often show children and adults with flies buzzing around them or landing on their faces and they are swatting them away lazily, like it's just commonplace. I always assumed it was because they lived in unsanitary conditions which I am sure is true. But the poor there often have a thiamine dificiency which I had read before- that does have a correlation with the B vitamin thing about that repelling flies though. Of course, I am grasping at straws once again because I just don't know. Also, I have  tried taking B1 and it doesn't really resolve much of anything. Although, taking a multivitamin daily and garlic does do a little something for this issue, but it doesn't fully alleviate this. Thanks everyone for sharing- I am glad others have opened up about this- I was afraid to post this too, initially. God bless you all.
Recently I have started using a Pine Tar soap.  Supposedly pine tar repels flies and knats and it has qualities which help certain skin conditions.  I found the soap at Whole Foods Market.   Probably carried at most health food stores.  I will let you know if it seems to help any, initially seems to be worse with the whole spectrum of problems.
  Well I'm posting a link from a very strange article next.  This is from one of the Morgellons sites (Marc who sells some products site).  It is from Indonesia July 2008.  Hopefully the link will work.  
I believe I suffer morgellons and at times (my friend more so than me) do have these tiny fly type thingys, it kinda terrifies me the whole thing,the only person l have confided in is my friend who suffers along side myself..........the gp seems a huge no no as my friend mentioned it to hers, she was sectioned determined psycotic.....so hence the relutence to seek any kind of professional help! What ever the condition l have it has got a serious hold of my immune system,the thought of a parasite or a nematode living within me almost scares me to death! So denial it is...........and cutting myself from all and everything is what is working for me at the moment.......I have tried various lotions n potions but then I am admitting to having something wrong......so now l rarely go out or even speak to friends or the limited family l have!
The reaction my friend was given because she had these flies coming from her skin just saying what she could see has given her a lable 'insane' How unfair!!!!!!
Is it the fear of whats wrong that isolates you or the immune problems which cause ???  Other sites (and only a very few) I have found where the fly from skin was mentioned it is noted that although you are aware the nuisances may come from you no one else would ever have reason to suspect it.  
  For me, I have such low energy once I have vested my time with my family I have no desire to put forth more enegy with friends, co-workers or neighbors.
  I don't think you are in denial.  It is the medical community that is in denial.  Sounds like you have may worked hard to get a diagnosis.  
Hello! I've been reading all of the posts here and can relate to the disgust and desperation I hear in everyone's "voice". I, too, have the same problem but only in a minor way most of the time. It's been this way my entire life and I'm 47 now.

The flies don't actually follow me but if they're flying around in a room or area I'm in, they will definitely land on me and nobody else! YUCK!  It drives me crazy and is so embarrassing. My personal hygiene is to the point of obsessive so I know it's not that. If I'm in a restaurant and a fly is in there, it will keep landing on me, nobody else, not even the food! What the h*ll is up with that? I end up looking like a nutjob swatting at the flies trying to land on my arms and head. Determined little buggers! ICK!

At home, I have 3 dogs and the flies will still land on me instead of them. Is it some odor that only the flies can smell? Do they have a nose? LOL !! My exH and current BF have both said that I'm the cleanest person they've ever known and that I have no body odor even when I've been sweating.

I wanted to point a couple of things out that have to do with body chemistry. I've had horses all of my life and with horses come the flies. I can wash my horse with the most potent horse shampoo on the market and I mean scrub her almost bald and the flies will still be attracted to her. To me, that means some sort of body chemistry thing going on. What do you guys think?  Good Luck to all of you and I'm so sorry you're all going through this. Pure misery, I know.  
Since I have had the problem that brought me to this site, I have been diagnosed with CFS - Chronic Fatigue.
Just found a good UK spot for CFS... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YW28F6IwM4
I believe it to be helpful for CFS, Fibromyalgia, Morgellons, and hey maybe even head and muscle flies (what it actually feels like I've got).  Sooo when you wake up in the middle of the night.  Check out this site.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YW28F6IwM4        Take care and Happy Holidays.
I started getting bit by gnats  all over, not just my scalp, in early spring of last year & it got steadily worse til I was also at the end of my rope. I tryed all kinds of different ideas but none stopped biting til I found repellent by( Dancingroots.com)  that helped, he also told me about a company that makes a natural enzyme soap, (Safesolutions.com) that does kill them & all other hard bodied biting insects & other pests, it helped alot & I can even spray it on my skin where they are biting & have had no side effects, but everyone is different & you will have to test it on a part of your skin first, but you can spray it anywhere & it is safe for children & pets. Now down to the cause, I did not find out til December from my sister who went through the same thing & went to a  Dr. who didn't think she was crazy, he told her, her PHbalance was all messed up & she needed to change her diet, so I started researching this & found out when you are getting way to much acid or cholesterol in you, your body cannot eliminate it through waste & it comes out on your skin & this & carbon monoxide(smoking) through your breathing is what attracts them. So study acid/alkaline food charts carefully & compare cause there are discrepancies & I've had some trial & errors with this & start eliminating acid foods from your diet. All I am eating mainly is (most not all) fruits & vegetables & I also eliminated Omega 3's & fish oil from my vitamins but are are still taking -C- & garlic & some others, this has kept me from having reactions to bites Or getting sick. I did a complete diet change & the biting is getting less & less, I also started taking acidophilus at same time & I will do this til this is over cause when I stopped it, biting increased again & I take pure barley grass powder which is very high alkaline.So I have become a vegetarian from this but it has been very worth it & I know this will end soon. I have also had the prayers of friends in my church which has helped me keep going when I didn't want to anymore, & prayers for God's wisdom which led to finding all this help. I am also seeing some miraculous health benefits from this change, my skin has cleared up & gotten really soft & I don't use stuff on it, hot flashes have stopped(I'm 54), heel spurs are gone & nothing hurts anymore, migrains are gone, toe funges is gone & one of the best things is I started dropping weight & have gone from 185 lbs to 154 & from size 16 to 10 so far & am still losing, & as pounds are melting off, it feels like years are to, I feel better than I did as a teen & my energy level is zoom zoom zoom. When I found all this out, it gave me hope again & a light at the end of the tunnel. I hope this helps all of you out there who are going through it to, but it will end!
CHANGE your DIET!! OR either your soap or shampoo that youve been using.. DID you also know that mostly everything in the store created to apply the substance to your skin,(like shampoo lotion ect)  noONE really knows what the EFFECTS will do. like have many little bugs follow you! i have the same problem n its stopping.. probably cuz im killin all those little ****!!! n the things that people put in their bodies affect your breathing (in and out).
I haven't posted for awhile. With hot weather again, I worry about those pesky insects following me. Busybee54deb- thanks for posting- I too really feel it has a lot to do with body chemisty and pH balance, also possibly parasites. Parasite cleanses are expensive but Paragone did do a little something but didn't fix my condition. I read that garlic is a naturl antibiotic and antiparasite, but it has to be fresh to have most benefits. So, since you have to crush garlic to relese teh allicin, I have crushed a clove or two daily, wait 10 minutes (apparently you need to wait just a few for the needed chemical response with allicin) then put the smashed clove in a little shot glass with tomato juice and slam it! Also, I drink a full glass of water so the stomach acid doesn't destroy the beneficail garlic- I read that the water acts as a buffer so the garlic has a little more time to do its thing in the stomach. The first couple of times I did it I had a gag reflex and wanted to hurl within about 30 seconds (didnt tho), but now I can do this without a physical reaction. I've been doing this for only about 2 week, so time will tell. I have seen the darned things flying around but I think perhaps I throw them off a little now wih the garlic in me and they go past me. I don't want to do more than a couple clloves a day so I won't stink to others, but it's doing something for sure. Also, I have ben eating more fresh fruits and veggies tahn processed. Every few days, I go to the grocery store to get fresh food- whatever amount of produce wont spoil in 3-4 days and I am trying to eat more balanced in general, although I am not perfect. One thing I have noticed too after taking the fresh crushed garlic, the dry patch ive had foerever (2 years( in my throut almost went completely away- wierd...but good. I am really hoping it helps with acid reflux too. I munch on some parsley as natural internal deoderant to avoid stinking- plus it has lots of vit c and iron in it. Check out www.mercola.com too for interinsting heath info. Parsley has more vit c and iron than spnach. I will also get back on the acidophilus. Garlic pills- I had taken them too but they didn't do the same as teh fresh. I may be doint this expermnt all summer long- think you can't hurt yourself with garlic. Its a good thing. Maybe someone else might benefit too...Oh beware- fresh crushed garlic is hot - trie d it first on a piece of bread and just couldnt do it. tomato juice hides the burn sensatin and makes it go down easy.
also- it's raw garlic I use, not cooked...although Im sure you can't have too much garlic unless you start smelling, then you better cut back to one or two cloves a day. Also, careful if you're on blood thinning meds (im not) cuz garlic thins your blood a little- that's actually a good thing though- don' t take aspirin cuz it thins your blood too- you can over do that.
Thank you for your post manicblogger. jademoonlight or bondsman or anyone else who is being tormented by this, If you read my postings please let me know, there may be other ways I can help & I would like to talk to you. I did the alkaline diet for two months then a lady told me about Kangen water, which is a high alkaline water & I started getting that at a herbal shop & drinking it & it also helped, an employee there told me about the blood type diet & gave me a food chart for my blood type & I changed to that & guess what everyone, I'm not being bit anymore unless I eat to much of the acid foods on my chart. I have even been able to add back into my diet some foods I gave up, I eat some meats again & I can have chocalate again! I am now down to 137 lbs. & feel great & look younger, My grandaughters are envious. Because of Gods praying saints who prayed for & with me for God's wisdom, I was able to find all this out. It is such a relief to not be bit anymore, I can get back to doing things I quit doing. The things we eat & drink do have alot to do with our health & what goes on with us. I am praying for all of you also.
Mosquitoes are attracted to people who just ate a banana. It has to do with the aroma coming off of you from it. So maybe if your eating a lot of fruit or around a bunch of fruit, the flies and gnats are attracted to it.  
Wow, this seemed so strange that i had to read these posts.  I have never heard of people being followed by bugs!!  But I have heard an old expression about mosquitos.  My grandma used say that if you had a lot of mosquito bites you must have sweet blood.  So maybe the same is true for fruit flies.  After all, they are attracted to fruit right?  Well fruit breaks down as sugar.  So maybe you have high or slightly high blood sugar.  Just a thought.  I sure hope you find some relief though, that must be hard when you're trying to date!
I have heard that too about bananas- it's something about that fruit and the way our bodies process it- mosquitos are attracted to that. I don't eat that many bananas, but I have not stopped eating them because they are very nutritious, just maybe one every week or two. Especially now in the spring and summer, fresh fruits and veggies taste so good, so I am eating lots of them and also a bigger variety. I go to the grocery store every few days for fresh produce- try to eat a big leafy green salad every day- have been eating tomatoes, avocados, zucchinis, green onions, red onions, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, mangoes, red apples, green apples, strawberries, kiwis, limes, etc-- actually I am finding that eating lots of RAW fruits and veggies is helping me feel pretty good, and I actually am craving them the more I eat them. I am taking care to make sure I am getting a good variety.

I have begun testing my pH again, but I am still very acid- this will probably take several months of eating like this to get to a more normal pH. I have been keeping a food journal every day for the last month, not for the purpose of limiting anything or reducing my weight, but only for the purpose of reviewing all the things I eat on a regular basis and approximately how much. No calorie counting- that's just counterproductive. I have rarely eaten out, looking over my journal, 3 times in the last 2 weeks. That's better than what I used to, about cut in half. I really didn't think my diet was that horrible to begin with, pretty average, but there was something that caused my body to start attracting insects and once it was at that point, I just couldn't seem to do anything for it.

As for flies and gnats, I still saw a few about a week ago- I went to a party and saw some by the bushes at someone's house (I know it's not them- they are pretty clean too but don't have the same issue I do) but then they didn't come after me when I went to that person's backyard-whew- that would have been so embarrassing.  Usually they do, but it did get a little chilly out so maybe that's why. I think all the RAW foods are helping. I also was taking RAW fresh crushed garlic for a couple of weeks straight- that part was hard to do, and I think that may have been a big part of it too. I am still not over this thing though with the gnats and flies following me, but I think it's reduced a lot at least. They almost always follow me when I go into a grocery store and then start seeing them on the produce and I know I brought them in then they found the fruits and veggies- then I feel bad as soon as I see one and try to get my stuff and get out of there fast. Also, if I go to someone's house for a BBQ, they will swarm around me big time and totally ruin the cook out. I haven't been to one yet- guess that will be a test to see if they are still attracted to whatever scent I am putting off that only they can smell. I really think though that this problem is at least reduced after about a month or so of really concentrating on RAW garlic and lots of fresh produce. I only have cooked a few veggies. Also drinking lots of water- reverse osmosis-- water that does NOT have fluoride, that is poison! I still eat meat and dairy, but not a too much. I don't plan on giving up either one, but I do have to be careful with milk drinking just because dairy makes me have alot of phlegm and it doesn't go away for like a whole day when I do drink it. Anyway, that's all for now. RAW fruits and veggis are a good way to start!
Cali- Here's an article about Enteroguard, basically freeze-dried garlic for reducing pest problems, parasites, etc in livestock and farm animals from www.mercola.com. I have wondered if there's anything like it for humans, but I haven't seen it. I am not so sure that regular garclic pills for humans are effective like the raw or ...freeze-dried which I haven't seen for use in people.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/03/17/garlic-infections.aspx
I seem to only have this problem of gnats following me at theme parks. I notice it every trip. I haven't noticed them anywhere else. This is defintiely an embarrasement as I seem to be the only one the gnats are following. I'm not so sure it has anything to do with soaps or shampoos. I use the same stuff as the rest of my family and they are not being swarmed on. I was thinking it was my hair gel (nobody else in the family uses it) but still unsure. I'm going to wear a hat on my next trip to Disneyland and see if the gnats are still on the attack. Good luck to all with this interesting problem.
Hi Shamrock27,

Your comment about being bothered with this at theme parks really caught my eye.  I used to work at a thme park and there were at least three people(as I remember) who had at gnat and fly attracting problems, but mostly to they're heads.  And they used styling gel too!  I wonder now if they were using some of that gel that boasted of having natural fruit extracts in it.  One girl was going to the prom that night and had had her hair done that morn and was so heartbroken that these flies and gnats were landing on and flying all around her head.  And shooing them away didn't help either.  I do know that there is a lot of spilled food gook all over the park(dried cola syrup, snow cone juice, smoothie spill residue, etc.) and if a person were to touch her body or scratch her head, this might transfer the bacteria to that area.  I stopped using hair gel when the flies seem to be starting in on me.  Plus, that hair gel always had a smell that gave my hair a putrid smell when I began to sweat.  Well, hope you and the rest get better.......
I've had the same problem.  It started about 4 years ago.  I've lived in 3 different areas, used different soaps, shampoos etc...  Nothing makes a difference.  I even visited europe in a cold area, where said they have no such insects but they did with me.
I've tried all different things, it drove me crazy at first, now its not as bad as it's been at times, i put my fingers through my hair and a tiny gnat flew out, one little fly always seems to be around.  I do have acid reflux, and sinus issues.   When i am at home i always have my hair pulled up so none of it touches me as it grosses me out now.  Other than that I learned i have very little control over this and try not to think about it, except i've developed odd habits, like i use towels once and wash them, I change my sheets a couple times a week, I wash my hands a lot.  My scalp is weird, like it gets
almost sticky and I try not to pull at my hair, which also gets sticky, I'm always trying to get that film off of it, which seems really weird and just looks like a nervous habit.  

I used to think I had Morgellions or something like that went to a bunch of doctors and gave up.  Now I just try to live my life, as the flies aren't very obvious, they don't hang out right in front of me, and when one pops up I act like its nothing.  I tell no one about this and would think i were crazy if it weren't happening to me.  I'm glad people have shared their experiences, good luck to you all!
Try putting bags/Maybe some zipblock bags filled with water around your house and maybe they wont come near u anymore
Hi Ada658-- While trying different shampoos, did you ever try shampoos WITHOUT 'sodium lauryl/laureth sulfate or ammonium lauryl/laureth sulfate for any length of time?  Did you ever try conditioners without parabens?  Did you ever try drinking NON-florinated water? Did you try changing your diet in anyway?  Is your scalp ever sore or very red and irritatated?  (Just a few things to consider....)
Ada658- no- I don't believe you have Morgellans- it's very frustrating to read about how medical professionals typically believe people just have delusional parasitosis- I don't believe the flies and gnats that swarm around some of us are hallucinations, especially when other people comment on them- it's very embarrassing!!! I still really don't know what helps. I am very convinced (without proof, of course- it's my hunch) that it's some kind of internal problem that causes some scent that the pests like. I also have acid reflux and sinus issues,and it's my suspicion that flies and gnats are attracted to excess mucus which would make sense on both of these conditions...although I have no idea why others that have sinus issues and acid reflux don't all have this issue. It could be something else too. I know I don't have morgellans- I am not picking out fibers or stuff on my body and things other people can't see- it's actually all the flies and gnats that swarm around me specifically and yes- others DO see them and even comment so it's not me being crazy! I have yet to find any doctor who's even half way interested in helping- they have no clue about this. This isn't just a pest or two that perhaps happened to fly by...they actually seek me out and swarm about me, especially when I am outside (they also follow me indoors) or around food of anykind- it's like an extra attraction I guess. I thought I had a few pointers, but nothing has really worked all that well. I've done a parasite cleanse (Renew), eaten raw garlic, avoided scents (which was pointless), and done extra cleaning. Now that it's May, there doesn't seem to be much that stops these nasty critters, but in the cooler months, even though there are still gnats and flies, I was able to get a little relief with the Paragone cleanse and eating raw garlic. I absolutely do not use DEET or any dangerous chemicals on me! Lately, I got some geranium essential oil at the health food store and mixed a drop with some lotion (it's extremely potent so really- one drop for about 1/2 cup lotion) You'll just smell like roses and not bug spray. I did go to a BBQ, and the flies and gnats still found me, but it took a couple hours and then they weren't as many. Generally, I think you need to reapply the lotion every few hours. I know they are attracted to carbon dioxide in breath, and I think perhaps with digestion issues, it must be creating something they like and it really has nothing to do with any fragrance I wear (although they do not like roses/geranium smells). I don't have bad breath...Well, maybe try the essential oil- it must be the real thing- there's a chemical in rose and geranium that's a natural repellent plus it smells good. The oil is pricey, like $12-13, but it should last a really long time- just mix with any lotion and only one drop. Also, you can make your own spray- just refill a little bottle with water, maybe 2 oz and one drop of oil- be sure to shake it before spritzing. Hope you find this helpful.
I also have this problem. I have concluded that it happens when I exercise, when I swet.
Thinking back I can only remember one time when it happened before puberty and that was when I went on a very long hot walk on a school trip, that same day I had a fly go into my eye and held everyone up and so I told everyone that the flies must have been following me because of the fly that went in my eye. They followed me all day.
I've only recently started doing a lot of exercising and am only 14 so havn't swet much in the past. Today they followed me as I played Unicycle Hockey. Also as I was cycling one went in my eye. Looking back I seem to have had a lot of flies going in my eyes.
please read what i posted above, i gave you answers for this problem, it doesn't have to do with what foods you eat, but how they affect you personally with your chemistry & blood type. So please find out your blood type  & if you can get a food chart for it. It was done by Dr. D'Amo, if you can't get or find that go to DrLam.com  & read all info & he has blood type food charts also that are pretty similar, i am living proof this works. I hope this helps & God bless you all!
I was also concerned with hot weather, but as long as I stick with blood type diet I don't have a problem with the gnats or mosquitos biting or swarming around me, & they are out in our yard by the millions again, if I get to much acid foods then they do, but one other thing I found out was that when that started with me I had just went into perimenopause, so chemistry change or imbalance & food both have something to do with it.
You might try ionic angstrom COPPER mineral water available online from several sources online. Copper will kill all known parasites. The ionic copper can be ingested to raise the copper level in the body and skin or you could wash your hair with the water which would kill any eggs or gnats in or on the scalp. Take 2 tablespoons a day for 10 days and then skip for seven days, then take 2 tablespoons for 10 more days.  One post on Dec 19 of 2008 indicated that she had no body odor. This indicates a high zinc level in the body. High zinc levels restrict copper absorption in the body. It is possible the common denominator is low copper levels.
Good luck.
ever try dog shampoo, contains permethrin same thing in scabie medicine and most household bug sprays, also pyrethin is the same thing only synthetic. in higher concentrations been known to kill flea and roach eggs which are some of the toughest insect eggs ever so if theres anything in your hair or scalp this will take care of it
I found this... for those of you who think the flies could be living in your scalp or on your skin. I rented a house from a couple from Brazil and shortly after moving in I noticed sores around the nape of my neck just inside of my hair line as well as several small patches of rashes on my skin, in addition to that I had what I thought were gnats following me around everywhere. Then I found this.

http://delusion.ucdavis.edu/flies.html
But seriously...
The information below is a cut and paste from more comprehensive research.  A compilation of articles on    http://morgellonspgpr.wordpress.com/category/collembola-springtails/        a great source of references.

my comment...Briefly it refutes the belief held by some such as the folks at UC Davis.  Can you just imagine the amount of money the psychologists would miss out on if people with skin problems are no longer considered delusional.  It would be a real blow.

quote from website..."A literature search revealed an expanding source of information that documents that springtails have become true parasites of a variety of animal hosts even though they lack specialized feeding structures. Once the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta, Georgia began to investigate pruritic dermatitis of unknown pathogenicity, they found 123 cases. These cases included 122 people from 22 states in the U.S. and 1 person who was thought to have been infested in South Korea; all of these cases occurred from 1990 to 1995. ... Most of these cases were traced to (or at least thought to be related to) a variety of outdoor occupations, contacts with domestic and wild animals, gardening activities, exposure to various fungi, etc. Patients ranged from young children to elderly adults. The sex ratio was 59% female:43% male. ...
Whether the immune status of the affected individuals played a major role in promoting springtail parasitism or whether insecticide resistance was a component in these cases is entirely conjectural; however, both factors have been suggested as possibilities. ...
To the date of this writing, the taxa that have been reported to induce intense pruritic dermatitis in man are: Entomobryo nivalis and E. tenuicauda (Hunter, et al, 1960; Scott, et al, 1962); Hypogastrura menubrialis and Sora buski (Megnin, 1839; Freche and Beille, 1896). In addition, Orchesella albosa var. oinslferi was recorded infesting humans without causing pruritis (Scott, et al, 1962).

In summary, these cases of collemboliasis may be only medical curiousities , or they may be the first "sentinel" instances of a significant emerging parasitism.

REFERENCES

Dasgupta, R. and Dasgupta, R. (1990). Collembolan Insects as Potential Parasites. Trans. R. Soc. Trop. Med. Hyg., 84:438.

Dasgupta, R. and Dasgupta, R. (1995). A Treatise on Zoophily in Collembola with a Summary of Knowledge on Origin and Evolution of Parasitism in Saprophagous Forms of Animals. J. Bengal Natural History (New Series) 1(2):53-60.

Freche, L. and Beille, L. (1896). Un Parasitisme Accidentale de L’Homme. Comp. Rend. Acad. Sci. Paris, 73-80.

Griffiths, G.C.D. (1985). Hypogastrurua succinea (Collembola:Hypogastruridae) Dispers by Adults of the Cabbot Maggot, Delia radicum (Diptera:Anthomytidae), Infected with the Parasitic Fungus Strongwellsea castrans (Zygomycetes:Entomophthoracea). Canadian Entomol., 8:1063-1064.

Hrivnak, L. (1981). Qualitative and Quantitative Analyses of Collembolan Fauna in the Nests of Small Mammals in the Hight Tatra Mountains. Biologica, Bratislava, 36(5):363-372.

Hrivnak, L. (1983). Signs of Collembola in the Nests of Small Mammals in the High Tatras and Hyposometric Distribution of Individual Collembolan Species. Biologica, Bratislava, 38(6):555-567.

Hunter, G.W., Frye, W.W. and Schwartzwelder, J.C. (1961). A MANUAL OF TROPICAL MEDICINE). Philadelphia, PA; W.B. Saunders Co. xxx+892 pp.

Husband, R.W. and Brown, T.M. (1976). Insects Associated with Michigan Bumble-Bees (Bombus sp.). Great Lakes Entomol., 91:57-62.

Mitchell, W.G. and Turner, E.C., Jr. (1969). Arhtropod Parasites on the Starling (sturnus vulgaris) in Southwest Virginia. J. Econ. Entomol., 62(1):195-197.

Nosek, J. and Vysotskaya, S.O. (1976). Protura from Nests of Small Mammals in the Trans-Capethian Oblast. Entomol. Obzr., 55(4):808-813.

Oniki, Y, and Butler, J.F. (1989/1990). The Presence of Mites and Insects in the Gut of two Species of Chewing Lice, (Myrsidea sp. Mallophaga). Accident or Predation? Rev. Bras. Biol., 49(4):1013-1016.

Roy, P. and Dasgupta, B. (1971). Behavior of Chrysomys megacephala (Fahr) and Hemispyrellia ligurriens (Wied.) as Parasites of Living Animals under Experimental Conditions. S. Afr. J. Med. Sci., 36:85-91.

Scott, H.G., Wiseman, J.S.,, and Stojanovich, C.J. (1962). Collembola Infesting Man. Ann. Entomological Soc. America, 55(4):428-430.

Szabo, I. (1977). Examination of the Fauna in the Nests of Mammals and Birds in Hungary. Allantani Kozl., Budapest, 64(1-4):153-158.

Tosi, L. (1977). Alimenti Animali Neili Diete di Alcune Species di Collemboli, Richerce Preliminary sul Cannibalismo in Sinella caeca (Schott). Ateneo Paramense. Acta. Nat., 13:445-455.

Tosi, L. and Sartini, M. (1983). Interactions Between Social and Feeding Behaviour in Sinella caecs (Collembola). Boll. Zool. Naples, 50:189-195.

Waldorf, E. (1971). Selective Egg Cannibalism in Sinella curviseta (Collembola, Entomohryidae). Ecology, 52:673-675.  

I really feel after all this research that this is related to poor digestion and maybe malabsorption of key nutrients I've likely been deficient in some time now. I am trying drinking 1 T. liquid Bentonite Clay with 1 T. psillium husks in a tall glass of water for next week or two- it's a little gross- like drinking watered down creamof wheat- has no flavor though. Texture is the psillium husks though. I was told to take it on an empty stomach and with fiber since the clay absorps the toxins but the fiber will help move things along after a bit- normally. Also, I am taking a calcium carbonate pill 3x daily with meals. I did come across some random article online about calcium feed helping to keep flies off horses. Not that we are horses, of course but if flies are attracted to something or not, then it's worth trying as long as it's not dangerous. The calcium seems to work a little, but seeing as this has gone on for some time, I'll have to stick with the calcium a few months if my body is really depleted or something. The calcium does make me more alkaline which I think also helps.
I really did think i was going crazy untill I found this site... uhhhhh with all hope the winter months takes them away
You can google 'micro-myiasis' and find out more about people suffering problems with small flies.
I read the first 20 comments, i must say when i googled why is a fly following me around i did NOT expect results, non the less im not sure if it has been mentioned but i have an idea as to why this is happening. I get this happening to me periodically so its not any products i use or plants surrounding me and it occurred to me that maybe the flies may nest in paws somewhere in your body. I saw the the post of the person with the nest in her hair. Surprising!. Anyway i believe that they may lay eggs of some sort in your paws, they should have enough food from bacteria in your paws and they stick around to protect the eggs. And if there enough maybe the stay for generations. I think i discovered that sea water may get rid of them! I live in crete and the last two times after going to the beach the seemed to have stopped bothering me.
Three weeks ago I helped my parents clean out one of their rental apartments and it was full of fruit flies.  The psycho woman hadn't taken any garbage out for a year and the place was infested and really stunk.  When I came home I stripped in the garage, washed all my clothes twice, threw out my shoes and took a long hot shower.  The next day my breath still stunk like the apartment.  It was really bad.

Since then I've been seeing flies around me almost every day, no matter where I am.  I've never seen more than one at a time and it's usually only once or twice a day.  I just traveled to another state for business, I saw one or two flies around me each day, my wife saw no flies in our house while I was gone.  I don't think I attract them, I think they're coming from me.  I've had the idea that they have infested my sinuses or lungs or ears or something.  

I've read all the posts and there seem to be several types of problems and several ideas of solutions.  I only saw a few that stated this had started on a certain occasion.  I'm going to check out some of the links above.  I don't believe it has anything to do with my diet, deodorant, soaps or anything else. None of that changed.    
I went on a trip to California for almost two weeks and then came back to my apartment in NY.  Since then, for almost 2 weeks now, I have noticed a gnat (really small) flying around me - I have even killed a couple.  I have set up red wine and vinegar traps with no luck at all.  One just flew by me - it always seems like there is just one, but when I do actually kill one, one always returns.  I don't really think I have changed anything about my diet, shampoos, etc.  I have been taking my vitamins more regularly and started a new allergy pill but that is all.  I am starting to think that I am seeing things but then when I actually can kill one, I know that I'm not.  I had a problem for a week or two about a month ago with drain flies and fixed that problem before I left for my trip so it is not them and they are much smaller.  Please, any additional help would be great.
I have O blood and major intestinal problems. then i met a guy and he kind of helped me change my diet i ate better food and my intestinal problems disappeared and my liver enzymes declined from high rates(they thought i was an alcholic but im not)and the flies seem to have gone too. but my scalp has been itchy lately. oh and i have a cyst in my sinus below my eye- i thought it was the cause of my major migranes (migraines) but the doc things i just get migranes (migraines). im begging to think the cyst is just a fruit flies nest. Im convinced. I cant wait to get it removed and have them disect it and see! Ill let everyone know what i find out! Lets all find our common demoniators- please post all health concerns- blood types, intestinal problems, sight problems, hair problems and state- I'm living in PA now not near a dump and Im clean.
Same problem, has traumatized me for years.
Do you all think it is contagious?
I had myself convinced as a child that everyone in town would catch it from me.  Every time I would get checked for head lice at school I would think the nightmare would be over because it would be dealt with.. but it continued.
I can't believe there are others.
A related discussion, i need a cure now pleeeease help its driving me mad x was started.
A related discussion, fruit flies always landing on me was started.
I am so glad I found this forum. I've had this problem for the last few years. The only time they are gone is in the winter if it gets really cold. Then they return in the spring. They even came with me to the 100+ degree weather of Iraq. I thought it might be my long hair so I got it cut pretty short. Didn't help. It's embarrassing and frustrating.
I'm in TX, O blood, and have acid reflux. I also have hypothyroid. My cholesterol has consistently always been on the low side (135) for many years long before this all started and still is. My personal observation lead me to believe the gnats/flies issue had something to do with me eating bad fish from Walmart several years back. I didn't have any digestion or pest issues before that and then I had bad stomach aches for a few days, ate lots of Tums. I didn't go to the doc right away, as my body usually fixed things itself. Well the stomach aches finally went away, but I noticed maybe a couple-few months later I had to clear my throat all the time, extra mucus especially after eating- the diagnosis, acid reflux. Tried pretty much all the medicines to no avail- completely useless over many years. Didn't know to ask back then, but finally got an H Pylori test and it was negative. I suspect if I can just get rid of the digestive problems I can get rid of this gnats/flies issue as it seemed to coincide with the onset of all my digestive issues.

My diet isn't completely horrible these days, as I don't eat much processed foods anyway. I am trying a natural approach to healing the digestive disorder now as no medicine ever worked (I've tried them all and gave them enough time to work if they were going to.) Make homemade bone-broth as that is supposed to help heal stomach. Maybe it will take months. Note- if you make your own, please check out Alton Brown's Youtube on making chicken stock as he does stress food safety too. I've also decided to step it up with Duraflora (made by Source Naturals) as it's a probiotic that works even in a wide range of pH. Take 2 pills, twice a day- so far just been 2 weeks- I'll need to do this several months before I can say it helps, but I'll need to be consistent, as I wasn't before.

I am curious about how you changed your diet and the liver enzymes then not seeing any flies- was this temporary or are they still completely gone? How long did that take? I think my liver enzymes have always been normal, although a couple of years ago, my doctor said I had a small cyst which really surprised me but he said it was common. (common does not equal normal in my book, but I couldn't do anything about it- no recommendation there.) The gnats/flies issue was also long before the cyst was discovered. I don't drink that much at all, so alchohol isn't much of an issue. However, I noticed when I do drink some wine, gnats really like me even more. Sugar is probably a culprit, even though I don't care for sweet wine (tend to go for dry reds when I do- on average, drink less than once a month.) Don't smoke either. Take as little medicine for things as possible and have tried the "no perfume" thing. It's not related to perfume- it's body chemistry/imbalance of some kind for me. I do tend to have an itchy scalp, but that's been only the last couple of years and not when this issue had begun. It might be since the gnats and flies are so attracted that this is a result of them biting me on the scalp. I've even done lice treatments several times even though I don't have lice- thought it would kill any pests- seemed to not have itching for a day or two only. Using a hairdryer is supposed to help too. It helps some, but not completely.

I definitely think there's a common denominator here, and I think it may have something to do with digestion, at least that's how I'm leaning. I've read everyone's posts and consider everyones' experiences. It could be a combination of things. What works for one may not be enought to help someone else completely. Hopefully, we'll come to a conclusion together, as doctors don't know either. They just make the typical suggestions like no perfume and maybe don't eat certain things like bananas as somehow that does attract- I can tell you that's true. Flies really like you after you eat bananas, although before my digestive issues began, bananas were never an issue- they're very healthy for you, but I try to avoid eating them unless it's in the winter as cold weather seems to deter the pests for a short while.
hi- you mentioned sea water seemed to have gotten rid of the gnats/flies? I wonder if the sea water helped because of iodine? I've read that lots of people are actually iodine deficient (despite iodized salt). I have hypothyroid which means it's quite possible that I have a deficiency. I might not be able to absorb iodine because of hypothyroid. I've never had my iodine level tested but I imagine it's less than ideal. I've read that iodine is a halogen as are chlorine, bromine, and fluoride which compete with iodine absorption. Because water is fluoridated here and bromine is added as a dough conditioner in breads (whereas several years ago, iodine was actually used as a dough conditioner which gave you a little extra iodine from eating bread) now many are iodine deficient because of this. Sea foods are good sources of iodine.  I do love seafood, but fish is pricy and I am really picky about it now because of my bad experience from Walmart fish, not to mention mercury levels- I haven't been eating it nearly as much as I used to. I suppose I could try a little kelp each day as it wouldn't be as expensive and see what that does. It's sort of fishy but if it works, it will be a life saver and I'd learn to like it!
Hi my name is mike, I have the same ****........I only think that its evil... something or some curse is after me....Flys are ****** the devil....dogs and birds...dont get freaked out....if it continues, just embrace and the answer will come i hope for u and me both.. not. Very weird.. ur be ok thou...just make sure you wipe ur crack, that what my dad told me lol...just make fun of it. Very ******* weird i get a **** load like once i kill em another one replaces it
Thats what happend to me like week ago thats why im here today google is my best friend  lol i cant beleve so many of us have the same problem  its funny to me, you know what i did to get rid of if them  i killed all of them i got me self RAID sat and wait till they start bugin me and it was on. btw they are really hard to kill. now i have no problem i think they hate me now becuz i killed so many of them they not attracted to me no more thanx god i have enough buddies i dont need them in my life
another person with same problem (flies follow and swarm over me for over 10 years)
hope this helps, i suffer from:
1.mild acne
2.intestinal problem (a little bit)
3.use to have mild hives, not anymore
4.notice that i emit a bad odor after a cardio workout
I have suffered the same problems for years.  It affects the people around me.  I can't see them but can feel them.  They also land on people around me . They are airborn.  I believe I have an advanced case.   I also notice a ball spot in the center of my head but If I comb my hair I don't see anything.  Just feel them.  I have use a light trap to capture some because otherwise. they are difficult to trap. I sent  a sample to the Department of Health and to a state univeristy.  They were identified as fungus gnats or no see ums. I have the problem year round with only small breaks.
The only long term relief I have gotten is when I was put on a broad specturm antibotic (antibiotic) rocephin along with  a 10 day dose of avenox, for sinus infection.  This doesn't seem to make much since since it should treat bacteria infection instead of fungal infection.  I also think  this problem is related to something in my system or I have some sort of myiasis, where larva has gotten into my skin.  My personal and professional life has been dramatically effected by this problem.  I have tired everything.  I went to an infection specialist which was a joke.  She thought it was all in my head.  I really wanted my fee back.  I believe I will try to modify my diet as many of you recommend and hope for the best.  However, it is comforting to know I am not alone.
I ve been having this problems for about 5 years or so and I'm just somehow relieved that I am not alone with this. I ve been to several doctors already, but no one took this problem seriously. So I just want to share with you all things I know and thought of, so that we might find a solution to this problem.. And I am not american, I come from Europe, Austria.. (sorry for my bad english)

1)The problem might lie in the scarf
Why: because the insects are flying above my head and i suffer from scarf disease (i am not quite sure what disease my scarf has, so i ll stick to this term)
When this problem arised, puberty was at its peak. What I first realised was that I smell awkward and that I had problems with my scarf. This got worse because my scarf began to produce really awful odors which everybody could smell. Even if I washed my hair it still smelled and I still felt unclean. It is I who is probably at fault bacause I washed my hair to often, thus damaging my scalp. Needless to say that insects were following me.
After a while I could control this "scarf odor" by using the right shampoo and by trying to treat the scarf disease with acne products which works quite well, a bit of healthy diet is also important. I tend to have oily skin, which also applies to my scarf, so after a while i get the feeling of being dirty, especially when its hot and i get sweaty or if i feel stressed. Milk and milkproducts can have a negative effect on my scarf, making it more itchy. Nonetheless this insects keep on following me even if I had a shower or feel clean. So I suspect it might be something else.

I have to admit that these insects also fly around the nose, like they wanted to enter it? Probably because of the proteins?

2) Odor
Why: Insects are prone to smells - as I mentioned before it has to be an odor emited by our skin. In my case it is not necessary an odor which the human nose can smell.
What could cause this? Most likely the food we are eating.

I wan to go on detail, by telling you what I have experienced, because it is really really awkward..
Besides that I have smelled like cheese or garlic at my head, there is such a strange odor which I have on some occasions, I am not even sure if it is from me... But its really really disgusting, and my colleagues do make comments like "stop stinking dammit" or so... It is a smell like you have thrown up or so. I noticed that I only smell this when its cold  or windy or when there is much moisture in the air.. I dont know if this is far fetched, cause i m not quite sure if its even me... But I thought it might be worth telling.

3) Digestion
Odors we emit are strongly connected to what we have eaten. Eating something with much garlic can cause you to smell like it. Also people with high blood sugar might have a sweet scent. A friend told me of a guy he knew who, when he sweat, smelled "good", du to eating only natural products( Dont know what its called there, we call it BIO-produkte -  meat is also included, just no additives and chemistry, etc.)

My experience: I tried to eat healthier and drank only water. No junk food, no sweet stuff and less "animal proteins" - but nothing changed. I also researched about the alcaline/acidic level in our body and adjusted my diet on it - no noticable effects..

4)Disease
Ok this is again far fetched, probably nonsense, but for me only logical, a disease we all share and somehow got...

Therefore Finding the common denominator is necessary to findng a solution and (if not for us at least for a doctor) to make a diagnosis. Here further information about me which might help and i did not mention:

Bloodtype: 0 negative
Ethnicity: Asian
Age: 20
Sex: male
Problem since: around 5 years (age: 15)
Bloodpressure: Low
earlier Health problems: Asthma, acne (face, scalp?)
Family members with same problem: no
other than that:
I have a high sugar level, according to my doctor there is nothing to worry about..?
I also suspect me of being lactose intolerance due to the effects on milk on me
I had high thyroid levels which probably due to lack of iod - resulting in many problems such as underweight, getting easily, sweaty..

PS.:
The Vitamine B-Complex works, but only for mosquitos, i recognised that when i was with my friends and relatives they were stung and I not.
Maez- thanks for sharing your experiences. Perhaps hormones have something to do with since you started as a teenager and even up to now- hopefully the issue may partly resolve itself due to just going through hormonal changes? I'm just speculating. When I first started noticing that gnats seemed to be following me, I believe it was after I developed acid reflux- I had a lot of mucus in my throat and still do. I think they're attracted to the proteins like you say- I've read that before as well. I've had this issue now several years, but I never had an itchy scalp until antil a couple years ago, and it feels like things are moving around on my scalp sometimes- wierd. I don't think the itching is really excessive- but I have noticed it's more itching than normal. It's been colder than usual, and I noticed I get relief when it's really cold. I've tried lice shampoos and dry my hair with warm/hot blowdrier which helps for maybe a day as far as itching, but if it's warm, gnats still come around. I've tried also using a really heavy hair conditioner (like African hair products) and leaving it on overnight with a plastic cap on my head, thinking maybe this will suffocate anything that might be on my scalp- again it seemed to help a little for about a day just for itching. (If you try this, just don't use Vaseline as you'll never get it out!) Anyway, I definitely think mine is related to digestion as that issue happened first- maybe the scalp issue is secondary?

About the blood sugar, if the doctor told you your level is high but then not to worry about it, that doesn't sound quite right! Normal blood glucose (at least according to the parameters on lab reports) is 65-99 mg/dL. If your glucose was borderline, I can see the doctor just "wanting to keep an eye on it"- that was the case with me. Technically, I have not been diagnosed with diabetes, but mine was about 100 everytime it was tested, but this last time it was 113 so now the doctor wants me to take another test to make sure. I believe the diagnosis for diabetes is around 125.

I have tried just about everything under the sun and nothing has really completely worked. I am just still working on my diet now and taking probiotics and eating lots of fruits and veggies- almost no processed food at all. I am always on the lookout for ideas. I have thyroid issues as well, but I don't think that was the primary cause.
something I just happened to come across today from http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/plants-fungi/country-cures/other_insectrepellant.html.

I've seen a few articles about natural remedies- I haven't tried the basil yet. I've seen a few other sites (gardening sites too) that say basil keeps away gnats and white flies. Another site said basil will keep away any flying insect. I'll have to eat more pesto and find reasons to eat fresh basil to see if that helps. It's good for you anyway.

'Mint keeps flies at bay.'
Wormshill, Kent, 2003

'Carrying a sprig of basil (Ocimum basilicum) keeps gnats away, as does eating basil, as it comes out in the sweat and insects don't like the smell. Basil has been traditionally used to keep away mosquitoes as well.'
Glamorgan, 2003
thanks for your reply..
I also consiedered about this natural remedies, not one of them actually worked. Basil is something new for me, iwill definetley take that into account.
But what i was just thinking about, and probably tried to point out earlier...
what are these insects actually attracted to (which our body excess)?
maybe anyone of you who knows an insectologist?
Doctors dont seem to take this problem serious, due to the fact that this is probably somethin  they never heard of, and I think that only a few suffer from. It just a shame  that all of us are somhow helpless and have to deal with this on our own, especially those who have been suffering, even longer than me..
Maybe we should approach this problem, more in a biological way than medical, just imo though..

About the weather: Yeah I have the same feeling, probably because this insects are not really active when its cold. Also the pores in our skin are closed, resulting in less to no body odor.
The thing with itching is, that, normally when something itches, it means that it is about to heal. I think you might be right that the itching is just an secondary effect to something else.

Though what I am now focusin on now is my thyroid level, because it controls a good set of hormones. I have not been to a doctor yet, but i am eating food with a salt which more iods than normal salt and have yet to await any noticable effects
I've read nearly every comment here, and really don't find anything unusual sounding about the gnats.  If the lack of punctuation in some comments is provided to give us a sense of how you would speak about this in person (in rapid succession, without a break), that's an innovative touch. Gnats hover around and annoy.  Right? They are gnats, and their job description sort of requires it. I think the hypervigilance about it is worth treating to help make the annoyance bearable.
I suppose that you are not suffering from this? If I understood you correctly, you are trying to point out that we should just bear with it, endure it and dont think about what others may think about us and that it is actually not a problem at all? At first its not just gnats but also fruit flies, and their job is for sure not to follow humans. Secondly there are people who are not just being followed but also seem to have visible problems caused by this insects.

Imagine yourself around a bunch of people and your the only one being plagued by gnats and fruitflies. Needless to say what people might think of you and how they would approach you. But why bothering them? So what if you lose friends, if they get turned off that easily. So what if you dont find new friends, because they think your disgusting. So what if you always have the feeling people talking about you, thinking your unhyginical, like someone homeless, where ever you might be just because they dont understand what your suffering from (and neither do you yourself). Yeah of course there are people who will support you, who will not think about this, but they are not always there, in most of the case you are on your own. I think it goes without saying that this problem has a huge impact on our self confidence and on how we handle our surroundings and fellow men - this leading to isolating ourself - at least for me. If at least you are not the only one that is being followed, by this damn insects, and if I at least we understood why we are suffering from this.

Bearing with it - i ve been doing that for 5 years already, and others even longer - I dont see that as a solution to this, for me it just giving in, to this problem.
i just think it all has to do with some sort of spiritism. try to examine your lives and find out from where you might have invited a bad karma. its been happening to me and is still happening ever since i had intercourse with a girl i totally believe is a witch or if not is cursed.  Try seeing a pastor and getting some prayers for deliverance against what i call  malefic forces.
Not everyone understands this or is sympathetic. Some cowardly people just like to sit and criticize others behind the safety of their PC, looking for ways to amuse themselves by pointing out other' apparent flaws because they don't like their own selves. Who cares about the grammar- we aren't here for a spelling bee. Some who don't understand think this is all in our heads, we're overexaggerating how much this issue bothers us, or that we don't have good hygiene- this is simply not so. We are all trying to fight this together and even though I don't really know anyone here personally, I know we all are here to support each other as this issue is so unusual but most doctors don't even understand or seem to care to. The ones that would like to help haven't heard of this issue or have no experience with it. There is a medical reason why this is happening and we want answers and a treatment. Me, I have tried everything under the sun to get this under control. I actually just wanted to get on here today to share a small success...and hopefully a big success if I am not bothered by this issue later in the summer too. Only a couple of weeks ago, of course, I had another damn gnat follow me, but it was at a garden center, and I hadn't seen one forever. I knew it was me, but I don't think whatever they're attracted to in my body is as strong as it used to be, as I haven't seen any at the grocery store lately or other places where they normally bother me and not others. It might be too early to report...but I have really stepped up on the PROBIOTICS, a couple of different kinds for about 3 months. I had taken probiotics before, but I guess it wasn't a "healing dose" for a long enough period of time. As I strongly believe this has to do with digestive issues (my own experience), I think it's important to get the right balance in the gut back. I am taking one probiotic that survives stomach acid (right now, Kyo-Dophilus, but I've also been taking Duraflora) so it makes it past your stomach to your colon. I also take another one, Floramore. Some types you take with food, some on empty stomach. In addition to that, I am also taking a digestive enzyme, Omega-Zyme by Garden of Life- pricey, but a different one would likely do just as well. I have also cut back on starchy foods like potatoes and bread and eat lots of fresh veggies everyday. I think I have been doing some of the right things all along, just not enough. I eat green salad every day and at chop up lots of different raw veggies everyday on it. I eat a few fresh (whole) fruits everyday, not juices. It's not enough to just eat a little better ( I didn't think my diet was really that bad, but this thing needs a cure), I think I really needed to go strong with all the probiotics (at least 2-3 times a day) plus lots of raw veggies, and scale back on refined sugar and starches. I also eat yogurt (plain) every day. That does get expensive- actually cheaper to do the pills. Why this does not happen to very many people, I don't know. For me, I believe it started with a bad stomach problem that was never cured and it threw everyone off balance. Don't bother with antibiotics as there's no apparent "infection" that can be found. Start with probiotics and lots of raw fresh produce. Don't give up.
Just a bit of advice for you, homeskillet.. The last person that posted here with the same unhelpful, unsympathetic attitude was banned almost immediately. ; }  MedHelp has very strict posting rules and all it takes is for one of us to report you and you'll be gone.

People come here because they are suffering in some way, need helpful advice and a sympathetic ear. What they DON'T need is someone making light of their problem. If you want to critique someone's posts, join Wikipedia and edit to your hearts content or become a teacher.

Otherwise, stick to the subject matter at hand and if you have some helpful advice to offer, you're welcome here.
I googled fruit flies attracted to me and never thought i would find anything!
Lately it doesn't matter where I am in my home, there seems to be what appears to be fruit flies flying around my head.... this is when i am in the bath, washing dishes, sitting in bed reading, anywhere.

One comes along flies around my face, often trying to go in my nose or mouth (and often succeeding), I will kill it, then within 3 minutes another one appears, so i kill it, and again another one.... this goes on ALL day... there is almost never more than one at a time, and if i don't kill it, another will not appear until i do.

They leave my boyfriend and my cat alone... its just me they want.

We had a fruit fly problem in september, they came home on a pineapple, but i caught them all in little traps full of fruit and red wine. Then they were gone for a long time, and now just reappeared.
The weird part is, they have no interest in food, at all, i have set traps with pineapple, banana, orange juice, red wine, red wine vinegar, and they will fly right by the trap to me....

I am starting to feel like i am insane, i don't understand how when i kill one there is always another to replace it, and i have no clue where they are coming from.

I have no other 'symptoms' I don't think they are coming from my hair or anything, they just seem to want in my mouth and nose.

I don't have diabetes, im 25 healthy, i am mostly vegetarian, with occasional fish/shrimp, i generally eat really healthy.
I don't wear perfume, and none of my products have changed.

I just don't know what to do to get rid of them or even if they are fruit flies and was curious why they are so drawn to me, I am normally the one person who isn;;t bothered by mosquitos.

Just very frustrated as i feel i can't do anything in peace anymore.

I'm verry sorry that you are also suffring from this.
I m just wonderin for how long you have been suffering from this, just last year september? Any signs of weird body odor, or changes you might have noticed?

As I can see there are all kind of people here with all kinds of symptomps, but if you dont have any, this is very awkward, because everyone seem to have health issues connected to this. I think the saying exceptions prove the rule might be appropriate here?

I have to admit that only now I read this discussion "fruit flies always landing on me" - which might prove the theory, of this gnast/fruitfly problem being an health issue, wrong.
I didnt gave much though to it yet, but I remembered that when I was researching on this porblem a few years ago, I read some posts of a discussion to a problem on body odor. There was one guy suffering from weird body odor, not knowing where this might come from. Someone then posted that it might be a problem with the washing of his clothes, where some kind of bacteria might breed which might cause this problem.

Again this is all just specualtion, and just sharing my experiences with you..  I really would be interested if there is anyone in this forum who actually is a professional, doctor or whatever who might give us detailed information and facts on this issue.
I have been having trouble with sinus infections and gnats flying up my nose when I am outside gardening!  I am not sure which came first, the gnats or the sinus infections.  I don't know what kind of gnats they are or if it is important.  

As I've read the posts, I’ve had a few thoughts.  Hopefully, someone will find the information useful:

1)  I have been taking tons of vitamins, minerals, and other supplements for about two years because of an absorption problem, including a lot of B Complex.  Not until reading this forum did I realize I may have had a problem with fruit flies following me around for a short time several years ago.  For whatever reason, I am glad it stopped.  I also take a Black Walnut, Clove, and Wormwood supplement almost daily.  

2) Low salt and some of the other physical problems people have mentioned could be caused by adrenal insufficiency.  It might be worth a search as it is more common than I would have thought.  There is a saliva test for it that some doctors use.  Also, thyroid is mixed up in there some kind of way.  (They are both hormones, and all the hormones affect other hormones.)

3)  Candida overgrowth can be caused by antibiotics (and some other things, like steroids).  The antibiotics kill the bacteria, good and bad, then the good has to be replenished with probiotics (acidophilus, etc, but it takes more than what is in yogurt).  Once it gets a foothold, it is very hard to get under control.  Candida can cause a whole list of symptoms depending on where the overgrowth is in the body.  Digestive problems are high on the list, as well as the same symptoms as Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  Candida thrives on sugar and grains, even fruits, honey, and whole grains.  It makes people crave sugar and grains and puts toxins into the body.  I am pretty sure it affects our perspiration, so maybe it has something to do with attracting the bugs.  

4) I’ve read that some sinus infections are actually fungal and treating them with antibiotics only makes it worse.  I know it does make it better for awhile first.  So, are fungus gnats attracted to fungal sinus infections?  I’m still looking.  

5)  Grapefruit seed extract (GSE) is good for all kinds of things.  I put about 10 drops in some juice a few hours before going outside and it seems to keep the gnats and mosquitoes from biting me, but it does not stop the gnats from flying up my nose!  (It is very bitter, so just hold your breath and drink through a straw if it bothers you.)  For people putting Vaseline, etc, on their scalp, you could try grapefruit seed extract (GSE) instead.  If you really think there is larvae in your scalp, it just might work and not be as messy as Vaseline.  Also, aloe vera is very healing, but I don’t know if it would get rid of bugs.  It would help your scalp stop itching.

6) It was very time-consuming reading these posts, so please just ignore anyone who posts something negative.  They have way too much time on their hands and are only trying to hijack the conversation.  Ignoring them makes only one useless post for newcomers to read.   I almost gave up reading through all of this, and I have to admit, I skipped through some of the posts that were long and seemed to say the same thing over and over.   Hopefully, I didn’t miss anything too important.
omg this barely started happening to me and it's pissing me off whenever I'm outside flies and gnats follow me until i go inside somewhere. and when I'm in class 2 flies always hoover over my head and start fighting, i don't know its weird, people just look at me like "look at that dirty dude" and i shower every single day, I'm guessing it because i use sweet smelling shampoo and body wash (AXE) and i wear cologne(Kenneth Cole). I just hope the stop following me or else I'm not gonna get any dates like that ha-ha.
A POSSIBLE SOLUTION

Hey guys.  I too had this problem since I could remember.
Especially in the summer, every time I go on a walk with my dog, these gnats and things start attacking my hair and head.
I get so mad, and I get them in my eyes!

But then, my mom told me to use toothpaste.
What I did was: mix water and toothpaste, sprinkle some of it on my hair and face.

When I did that, I felt free.  No gnats came attacking my face.
But it may not work for everyone.  BUT TRY IT!!!
I have never noticed gnats or fruit flies as a particular problem but in the summer months, deer flies and horse flies attack me as soon as I walk out the door. 30 seconds out the door and I'm flailing like a maniac. I don't know about gnat bites, but these things hurt.
I have no known medical issues other than being diagnosed with low blood sugar 10 years ago, I eat a high fiber, low sugar diet, excercise quite a bit, and use hypoallergenic soap, shampoo, and laundry detergent. I don't live near any dump or trashy area. I do live in a very rural area with open fields and forests around the house so eliminating them at the source is not a possibility. I can't find a correlation between any activity or condition and the flies. They are ALWAYS after me. They will totally ignore anyone else I'm with and focus on me. DEET and other repellants, and a host of suggested remedies have all failed to help. I would do anything to get rid of the problem. I'm stuck in the house all summer when I would rather be doing something outside.
IT SOUNDS AS IF YOU ALL HAVE AN INFESTATION OF THE SORTS.  IT COULD MOST POSSIBLY BE PARASITIC.  YES, THEY COULD POSSIBLY BE ATTRACTED TO YOUR WARM BODY HEAT.  HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT THEY ARE ATTRACTED TO YOU AT NIGHT ALOT?  THEY COULD POSSIBLY BE NESTED ON YOUR BODY, LEAVING EGGS ON YOUR SKIN, TRYING TO FIND AN OPENING IN YOUR SKIN AS WELL.  I WOULD RECOMMEND, AS DID ONE OF THE PREVIOUS INDIVIDUALS: LINDANE CREAM OR SOME SORT OF PYRIMTHIUM LOTION, WHICH IS CONSIDERED OVER THE COUNTER IN CANADA.  STOP LETTING AMERICA USE YOU AS TEST MONKEYS.  GET THE CREAM TO GET RID OF ANY FORM OF INFESTATION THAT MIGHT BE PRESENT.  ALSO, USE THE OTHER SUGGESTIONS THAT SOME OF THE OTHER PERSONS HAVE SUGGESTED IN THE PREVIOUS COMMENTS, INCLUDING THE VINEGAR TREATMENTS.  REMEMBER, LINDANE CREAM.....LINDANE CREAM...LINDANE CREAM....LINDANE CREAM....LINDANE CREAM...LINDANE CREAM...LINDANE CREAM...LINDANE CREAM...LINDANE CREAM (YOU CAN ORDER IT FROM CANADA).  REMEMBER, CANADA...CANADA...CANADA...CANADA...LINDANE CREAM...CANADA...LINDANE CREAM.  Okay, have we got it yet!  Everyone have a nice day.  God Bless.....
This is happening to me as well for several years. It seems to go in spurts. I have seen posts relating to Morgellons, but I don't seem to have any other symptoms.
MOISTURE!!! I believe everyone should try this before changing your entire diet!! As stated above by some guy that the flies are attracted to moisture in soil so maybe these flies are attracted to moisture when your scalp sweats or when you don't dry your hair thoroughly after a shower...

however they might be attracted to a chemical or scent like in above comments... so try to rinse the shampoo out of your hair completely before stepping out to dry your hair thoroughly... also you should consider taking a washrag or handkerchief to try to soak up some of the moisture from sweat.

I suffer this problem occasionally and i know how annoying and embarrassing it can be when trying to have a conversation with someone and you have to keep fidgeting and twitching your eyes to keep them out of your eyes, ears and hair.

I just came up with this idea from reading posts above so I haven't had time to try it for myself. But I think its definitely worth a try!
Hello everyone,
I'm surprised anyone else had this problem.
I just found out today on the internet that I had gnats, those flies were living in my hair as well as the tiny fruit flies.
I don't wear any type of scented fragrance or change in diet, no health problems and did not visit any place except North America where I live.
I'm a healthy 19 year old female and I rarely see them around anymore.

I always thought it started when I was playing frisbee with a few other kids when I was around 11 years old.
The frisbee flew into these Evergreen trees in my neighbors yard so we went to go get it. I just walked right into the branches to try and get it but the other kids took the road to get to the other side. And man, it did not feel good to go through it.
After I went home I took a shower and noticed something odd on the bath tub floor so after I took a nice shower I went to the sink and examined it, I thought it was drowned maggots/larvae about half the size and slimmer than a grain of rice. I told my parents I thought I had maggots in my hair because it came from the trees but they told me "it wasn't" and "don't worry". Well I wasn't convinced so I just made sure and rinsed my scalp real well with running water and more of those odd things were washed down the drain, much later I didn't think about it.
When I went to middle school I noticed that there would be 1 or 2 gnats around me, but barely. I didn't like it when my desk partner noticed it this one time because I have good hygiene and didn't like the idea of being thought dirty.
In high school... I'd say in sophomore year that's when suddenly more flies came about, but not originally from me, because I only had like one gnat that's barely noticeable. Then the fruit flies became introduced because the weather became unexpectedly hot in this usually rainy state, and spoiled food and the fruit flies flew to places, one place was at school. And then I got fruit flies in my hair!  It got real annoying especially during lunch time at the tables eating with friends and classmates nearby!
So I made a resolve to finally end it, it must have been in my senior year, when I'm at home setting the table or eating I've been killing those little flying insects that were hitching free rides in my hair. And I became very nimble and accurate at killing them! Haha. Now they all died by the wrath of my hands, it's easier to kill them when I let a little water get on the underside of my hands.

Also, stop asking a specialist to help you, they may be more knowledgeable in the information about these unpleasant annoyances but they have no personal experience with them living in their own hair. If you want to get rid of these problems read what other people comment and draw your own conclusions. But please don't get all dramatic and crazy because this problem is not pleasant at all. I just know that the flies and gnats that used to live in my hair come out before I enter a shower, when certain food is out, and when it's night time and there is one source of strong light that attracts them.

I hope everyone can find their own solution to everyone's same problem.
This looks like it'll become a very long page to scroll through for years to come, look, and post. And gee, I wrote a lot, but I wrote this much so that people can compare and whatnot to other posts and their lives.
I have the symptoms of Morgellons and thought I would let you know what is helping me, in case it helps you too.  I bathe in Sulphur8 shampoo ordered online from walgreens.com.  This seems to kill bugs.  I use an entire bottle after filling the tub so that the shampoo is in the water rather than making bubbles.  Then I soak for about 15 minutes, and then refill the tub to rinse off.

I have no idea what Morgellons is, but lately I felt bugs crawl up my legs when I go to public parks.  Perhaps it is a loss of immunity to bugs, or a bug attraction.
Oops, I got the name of the shampoo wrong!  It is Sulfur8 from walgreens.com.
I've also noticed many fruit flies in my light fixtures. I've been dealing with this situation for nearly 5 years.
Has the basil worked for anyone?
I wonder if anyone has scalp fungus. If yes, have you seen a dermatologist? My scalp is really itchy and I am starting to think I have fungus on my scalp. Maybe the fungus attracts these flies.
I avoid outtings and events because of these flies. This is so embarrasing.
This happens to me from time to time. I now keep bug spray handy and just kill them if they bother me.
I have mostly the same problem.
I get gnats around me all the time and my body has gnat bites over it mostly all the time.
Even if I walk down the street I will see gnats following me.
Sometimes even wasps and bees follow me and I hate wasps and bees.

Do you think it is because of the shower gel which I use to wash my body?
I use strawberry shower gel on my body and wash myself with it alot.

I also burn incense in my room alot.

I am wondering if it could be because of the fruit shower gel.....
well this just started happening to me about a week now, and its soo annoying. i cant even have sex without the fly around me. I have made a couple of changes.. i started eating flaxseed about 2 weeks ago, im dieting and doing cardio. Also i have this cyst type thing between my eyebrows for 1-2 weeks now. Im a clean person and my home is clean.
I've also had this problem for years.  I had a gnat infestation in my apartment years ago.  I researched and found that they were drain gnats as they were coming form my bathroom.  With sticky fly tape and spraying amonia (ammonia) the problem finally went away.  Then I began to noice when I went out that I would have 1-3 gnats around me.  At the time I had long dreadlocks and thought maybe they were hiding in my hair.  I cleaned my hair over and over again but nothing changed.  After growing my locks for 6 years I decided to cut them.  I told people I wanted a change but the real reason was the gnats.  I felt like I couldn't tell anybody because they would think I was dirty or crazy.  

Fast foward 3 years later and I still have the problem.  I wear my hair very short (less than an inch high) and I am still  plagued with this problem.  I just started a new job 6 months ago and share an office.  I am nervous all the time because I know any gnats in the room come from me.  I am at my wits end.  This problem has affected me emotionally.  I dread going to people's home because I know a gnat or two will come with me.  Even in the dead of winter they will be there because I brought them in.  Sometimes I think about quitting my job because I feel so embarassed.  I don't want to be around people in enclosed spaces.  I hate having this problem but am so happy to find I am not alone.  I have not told a doctor about this because it sounds crazy and I'm sure I won't be believed.  Some days I'll be doing fine and even forget about it until I see some one swat a gnat then I remember my affliction.  I tried vitamin B and no change.  I don't know what to do.  I pray for deliverance but nothing.  

By the way I am Black, 37, A+ blood, no diavbtes, no high blood pressure, have IBS, CFS, and a history of depression.  Some one please help us.  
To be honest, although I'm not happy others have this, it's good to know I'm not alone. I have the same problem. Call me paranoid but I thik they're either hatching and living in my hair or in a cut I have on the side of my lip or both.

I've got some small cuts on my skin, beside my mouth from where I had cold sores and scratched it. Usually those sorts of things heal quickly but this time (which was about a few months ago), it didn't. The area instead blackened and I had some small scabs. I thought it was just healing badly. I know this sounds gross but I sleep on my side and I usually flip over to one side where I'm laying with the side of my face with the wound towards the pillow and I drool. So I figured since it moist most nights, that's why the blackness is still there. Since then, the black spot never went away, it just has these cycles where the black area would widen and it was itchy and uncomfortable and a bit painful. Then the wounds would open, the black area would shrink to nearly not noticeable and then I'd be left with open wounds that would heal but the black spot, however miniscule, would still be there. I've found that during the times of discomfort to when the area would shrink, I would notice some small fruit flies or small bugs that can't fly (that look like fruit fllies) or else they're gnats at different stages. I also notice these things being attracted to me, flying around only me even when I'm surrounded by many other people, and notice them fly away from my face or from my hair.

The most embarrassing moment I've had was when I stepped onto a crowded bus, sat down beside another person today. These things flew away from me, suggesting that they came from me and flew around a bit down the middle walkway but would come back to me, not anyone else and everyone noticed. The person beside me shifted away from me as if I were disgusting. It was the worst feeling in the world. I have felt very terribly and frightened as well when I see them at home, always around me and in my room at all stages (no one else's) but this was the worst.

No, I'm not crazy. Yes, others have seen it. I've killed these things and shown them to others, I'm not imagining anything.

I'm going to try cover the wound with a bandage and try to disinfect it since it's not just a dark spot like I thought or a result of my nighttime slobbering. I'm becoming too embarrassed to leave my home so I want to end this. I'll post again if anything works.  
Don't be fooled by the fact that other people are having the same issue as you.  You are most certainly imagining this problem.

You could google "why is the government tracking me" and find plenty of threads filled with people who believe they're being watched, but it still wouldn't make it true.  
I've noticed a gnat issue for a couple months and now in my apartment and now my car.  I think that it's me they are attracted too after reading all the posts.. They are always around me (home, car). I never see them at work and I sit in a cubicle all day. I've had Psoriasis since I was 14 and now I'm 42 (female), so my scalp/body have always been itchy, but lately I feel like I'm ALWAYS itchy, especially my head. I've been recently diagnosed with Alopecia areata which is a condition affecting humans, in which hair is lost from some or all area's of the body. In my case I have a bald spot on the top of my head (2 inches wide).  The bald spot has started darkening and I do have pain in that area at times.  I'm assuming that is just inflammation under the skin from my Alopecia but I'm wondering if it's something else now.  I am O positive blood type. I have had sinus infections in the past.  Psoriasis and Alopecia are both auto immune diseases. Reading all the posts has helped me look into some possible solutions, so thank you for providing that information. Good luck everyone!
It is good to know that Im not the only person that this is happening too.  I have had this problem for several years, now.  It is really embarassing when I am around other people because they start swatting at the insects to keep them away and all I can think of is  "that came from me".  The insects seem to appear at the most inopportuned time such as at dinner or whenever there is food around.  I think the problem started when I bought some bananas and they were infested with fruit flies.  I had an infestation in my home and it took along time to get rid of them.  i would notice them every once in a while and sometimes I would find them in a glass of juice or wine if it was left unattended.  The most recent sighting was today at lunch with a friend and it is 30 degrees outside.  I do not know what to do to prevent or kill these embarassing little creatures.  If anyone knows of solution, please share
still haven't figured out what to do. mentioned to my doc couple of times. this last time really got after him to help me and actually had documentation to show him- work email stating there was a gnat problem so at least he'd be assured I am not imagining them. well, he was just a jerk and said it addressed everyone, not me and "do you need me to refer you to a psychiatrist?" And then I got frustrated and teared up b/c he wasn't listening to me or showing any compassion- he commented that I was being overly sensitive- they are at work and bother everyone, but i am the only person thinking they were after me. I do see his view regarding my documentation, however, he then said he wanted to do another test to make sure there wasn't some "organic" reason for it, but basically he said he wanted to make sure I wasn't diabetic (my blood sugar's been on the edge lately, but not diabetic.) I then asked if diabetics reported this problem and he said no...(so...wtf?!) so not sure how that would help determine anything! I'm still lost...people have also commented in the past that they thougth they were attracted to me. just don't know what to do anymore.
In all likelihood, you are being followed and bitten by phlebotomine sand flies. Do research into leishmaniasis and myiasis. The phlebots seem to: a) like rh- blood (I'm A-); b) live in sewers 3) and engage in international airplane travel. They are endemic in Afghanistan an Iraq (where they are a big problem for coalition forces), so they are undoubtely coming back on troop transports. I live in Beijing and they are eating me alive.
http://www.google.com.hk/images?hl=zh-cn&num=10&lr=&cr=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&q=%22phlebotomine%20sand%20flies%22&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1040&bih=632
WOW...Im not crazy. I have fruit flies or tiny nats in my face where ever I go. I have very dry skin even on my face, chronic fatigue, I can sleep 12+ hrs a day. Leg aches at night and swollen glands on the right side of my neck
Hard to be imagining a dead bug in your hand
BTW Im in Pa. USA at 20 degrees F
Gluten intolerance can cause insects to be attracted to you.  Get a blood test for allergy to gluten.  Diet may be your answer.
Wow, what an odd symptom!  And it seems so many ppl are also suffering!  I have a different odd symptom I hope coming here can help, so I am drawn to things that just seem so WEIRD!

I'm sorry you are going through this.  The only thing I can think of is when something like this happened to my brother when we were graowing up - this is 30 years ago.  He was always being bothered by all bugs more than anyone - flies, bees, mosquitos - they would just swarm around him and leave us all alone.  It was weird.

Someone told my mom to put him on foods rich in B vitamins (specifically B6), and it did seem to help him.
It is kind of sad that there seems to be no cure until now, but I will not lose hope and I hope none of you too.
I still believe that it has to do with some blood sugar/digestive related problems because it is the only logical thing. Insects are attracted to something which we have in our body , some thing our body produces. (I am not sure if there are any parasites or illnesses that would cause our problem). There is a saying "A healthy foundation is paved with good intestines"

But when I think about it.. It all started not only in puberty but when I stopped being really physically active. Say, as I child I have been running a lot around. Ever since middle school, only in PE lessons or from time to time. I have to admit I am not really into sports. I consume lots of junk food but I do not gain weight.
Going away from the hypothesis that it is a disease/parasite or whatever, it seems that it maybe something more simpler than that.

What I am trying to say is, that my non healthy lifestyle may have contributed to this problem, if not even the cause of it.
Just found this I hope it helps

http://www.morgellonsuk.org.uk/micromyiasis.htm

http://morgellonspgpr.wordpress.com/category/gnats/
Let me begin by just saying how relieving it is just to know that I am not the only one who is experiencing these symptoms because quite frankly I am going INSANE and the problem seems very idiosyncratic. I am 24 yr old male from NZ (next to Australia for those who don't know!). Blood type is O negative, in good shape and health, and I regularly exercise. I consider myself well hygiened and eat reasonably well for a 24 yr old. The problem is very similar to what you guys have discussed above and as a consequence my self-esteem has dropped right through the door. To sort of take this forum further, I have created a site with photos of the gnats that are following me and I think are being hatched on my scalp (despite shaving my hair now to try to eliminate the problem but no luck). Check out the website on
www.paradoxic.webs.com/
I have added 11 photos of the flies in different developmental stages from very tiny to small to full grown. They always have six legs and two wings and seem to just LOVE ME. Please help doctors and don't let it spread like HIV back in the 1960's because this disease has two-fold effects: one is Physical and the other more important is Psychological. PLZ HELP!!
i hesitate to post again as i dont want to say i think something works then turns out it was only temporary...but i was vitamin D deficient (12). i also had low vitamin b12 on the test, altough not considered out of range (about 300.) i took prescription vit D (50K units, once a week just one month. Also, in between these high doses, i took otc vit D3, 2K units daily as well as a multivitamin. this problem seemed to have stopped after about a month. now on cold days i sometimes don't see gnats or flies, but even if it's cold, they will come around normally. there have been several warmer days and i know for sure they come around and they have not. i on purpose sat outside on my breaks and they didn't come by but just one time only after a couple of weeks starting on vit D, but no more... i will post again if this continues to be true to let you all know. i think it's malnutrition caused by whatever digestive issues i have honestly. and it will take whatever brings your body back into balance so it may not be just vitamin D deficiency, but what other domino effect that deficiency had. lots of people now are vit D deficient bc we spend so much time indoors and also, we cant get enough vit D from our foods as well as other nutrients bc our soil is so depleted. i had taken multis before, and they didn't seem to work on their own, so i think it's related to vit D more than anything. i think you'll have to beg your docs for the test as they won't offer it on their own. btw, pls be careful on taking vit D as you can OD- most people are probably deficient and don't even know it so 2000 units daily will prob be fine, but it's recommended to know what your level is before you begin...hope this helps, friends. God bless.
I am 16 years old & i've had this problem with gnat flies & fruit flies since I was 11 or 12. It's so embarrasing. I dont have low blood pressure or high blood preasure or diabetes, I dont have a dry or itchy scalp either. Till today I honestly thought I was the only one. They fallow me every where school, home, stores, litterally EVERY WHERE!! Just like the other people that have posted comments its hurting my self esteem, I have no idea what to do about this problem i've never told anyone about this not even my friends or family its too embarrasing to talk about, & I feels like if i did try to talk to some one about this they'll just think im weird & crazy.

PLEASE HELP! :(  
My Mother Actually Just Developed This About A Month Ago. I Have To Say This Has Effected Her Greatly, She Got So Desperate And Sprayed Her Whole Scalp With Raid. I Will Keep You Posted On What Happens.
IMPORTANT UPDATE RAID DOES WORK ON SCALP TO GET RID OF GNATS OR FRUIT FLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes The Actual Bug Killer For Home, Spray In Hair And Cover And Let Sit For 10 Minutes. Watch For Results..
I've had flies following me in parks/grass/anywhere with flies since I was 18. It just seemed to happen overnight. I've tried everything - no hair products, different ones, different body washes, you name it i've tried it and it hasn't made a difference. I don't know what to do. It has ruined my social life, not being able to go to the parks with friends or play football. The problem i get is that as soon as I step onto grass etc they will begin to hover about metre plus over my head. I don't know whether its my hair or my body scent. I just can't get rid of them and im desperate for a cure. I've seen several doctors and they haven't been able to help me, infact they offered no solution.

I haven't seen it mentioned so far but try using mint bodywash.
Look up Morgellons disease. That happened to me. It can be overwhelming to research, and because it is a new disease. It is controversial because the symptoms are bizarre. Believe me, it is real. I have all the symptoms, except I did not lose my hair. There are some organisms found common in Morgellons patients through one study. One is a fungus that some scientists theorize create a biofilm on your body both inside and out. This biofilm attracts insects and other microarthropods that can cause all kinds of rashes. If you are under severe stress, which I was at the time of my first severe outbreak you will not be able to ignore. If some of the symptoms apply to you, take heed now because there are things you can do to keep it at bay and alleviate symptoms. There are many theories, and backyard scientists who have taken this on out of desperation because people who have this have been ignored.  I believe ramifications of this disease like law suits may be the cause of the lack of attention and clear attempt to debunk all of us as delusional. There are some credible theories that people are getting sick due to environmental factors that are manmade like agribacteria that winds up in our foods among GMO products, and other factors. Start reading, beause if you do have this, you need to know. It is a systemic infection, and medication should be started immediately. Good luck finding a doctor willing to treat an unknown illness.
Go to the Charles E Holman Foundation website- Oklahoma University research center under Dr. Wymore is studying this along with several other credible professionals. I posted other details on this if you check my other posts. Good luck. BTW, do you have any pimples on your scalp that don't go away? That is a sign. Best of luck to all of you.
I have Morgellons. A lot of you here descibe Morgellons. You do not have to have big sores, or all symptoms. In fact, if you have some symptoms, and start treating, you may be able to avoid the worst of it.

Look up Dr. Bransfield medical publication on Micro Myiasis. If you can't find it, I will post link. He is a pschiatrist who studied Morgellons, and the possible relationship to fly larvae. He published in a psychiatric journal urging the medical community to stop diagnosing with delusional parasitosis. Doctors don't want to believe this is possible. History continues to repeat itself in the sense that people do not learn from the past. The physician who originally told the doctors to sanitize their hands and instruments with chlorine was laughed at back in the day. So was Thomas Edison who invented the light bulb. It took a long time for AIDS to be recognized too.  

Here is what I did to get rid of the itch in my scalp.  I used borax (laundry detergent) on my head, and left it on for probably ten minutes, then rinsed. Out came this black film in pieces. I did this more than once, so I am not sure if the borax did it alone, or if it was due to my constant effort using other products like tea tree oil, peppermint, epsom salt, vinegar. Maybe after all my effort, this black stuff finally released. The itch disippated, but it comes back, but now I know what to do to lesson the symptoms.

I also regularly wash my head with salts, and take baths in epson salt and apple cider vinegar. apply solution to head first, and then bathe in solution. I use coconut oil shampoo and lots of coconut oil condtioners, or olive oil conditioners. Coconut oil on skin too. When hair becomes dry, I  soak head in olive oil and wrap in plastic overnight. I also used denorex shampoos, tea tree oil shampoos, and put mint oils in my shampoo.Whatever this is, it does not like menthol, or mint.

I also used these solutions on whole body for at least ten minutes and then bathe with more. I submerge whole head for as long as I can and overall bath is 30 minutes. I soak all my combs and brushes in borax too. I haven't seen any flies since. There is a theory that those of us with morgellons have a biofilm on our bodies that attracts insects both inside and out. After bathing in solutions, you may notice a sticky film on your skin. That is the biofilm.

I did not have such a severe problem with flies as described by many here, but I did notice they were attracted to me, and the night of my severe attack two small flies were hovering around me for 2-3 days. That is how I found Dr. Bransfields article, and began to get help. Thank God for men like him who are compassionate and think outside the box.

There is so much more to this, and I have a routine that I have to do daily, and am still learning the ropes. This is a systemic infection, but this is a start if you want relief. I don't need to do above routine as often now since I have this under control - sort of (up late tonight with itchy feet), but the worst is over.

Before I found a doctor to help me I alleviated a lot of symptoms by drinking water with cayenne pepper and fresh lemon (peel the skin first). That drink supposedly reduces the biofilm internally. Well the cayenne pepper took away my muscle pain anyway. I also took garlic tabs several times a day. Garlic is a natural antibiotic,. I  took neem tablets. Neem is an anti parasitic, and cayenne pepper tablets. I also supply coconut oil to my whole body after bath.

My head itched for many years. I noticed flies attracted to me last two years. Then after a very stressful event I began to get severely itchy head, hands and feet, and after 6 months of that, I had a severe Morgellons attack, I experienced a feeling like bites, bee stings, itchiness, pimples that don't heal, track marks from a burrowing arthropod (suspected to be from collembolla (micro arthropod that lives with mold), numb hands fingers, itchy inner ears, cloudy vision in left eye, hair shedding, sand granules in head, granules on body, black specks emerged from my skin, eyes, ears, pieces of what looked like plastic came out of my skin from bath, sharp pieces of what felt like shards of glass emerged from my skin, unexplained cuts, and scratches, fibers, and hairs that look like human hair, but they are not. These hairs can be different lengths ranging from 1/8" to 1 inch and come right out of head, and skin anywhere on body. There is a bacteria that has been identified that grows psuedo hair. I thought I was losing my hair, or having breakage, but now that these hairs come out of other areas on my body, I know otherwise.

I am doing fairly well now on doxycyclene and herbal remedies mixed by a reputable herbalist. This is a journey that many of you will find you will be joining. We are not alone. God bless you all, and a cure will come thanks to so many people who have paved the way. Without them, I would not have known how to treat this is or where to go for help.

as a side note - someone suggested raid on head for ten minutes. I could be wrong, but that may be poisonous, and damage you neurologically, or worse.
In regards to fruit flies.  1st, one of my teachers said it was the scent of HAIRSPRAY which attracted them. Can't say for sure.  2. furit flies and Fungus Gnats are attracted to the ethylene gas given off by ripening/on the verg of decaying plant matter. I have noticed people whose bodies are in Keotosis, mostly from Alcohol over use have a VERY similar body odor, A over ripe strawberry scent.  Diabetics can also produce this scent when going into a coma ( Acetone breath too.) Now High protein low carb diets can keep the body burning more proteins then can be good and you get that Keotosis again ( lots of protein in the urine.)  So it could be your diet. You can get strips to test for keotosis at the pharmacy as well just FYI.  The body naturally processes more proteins at nigh while you sleep so attracting the little buggers during sleep or just upon waking is quite possible. Finally, the smell of bananas drives these guys wild, AND its found to permeate the skin w/in 30 min of eating, just like Garlic.  So consider that as well. Hope the info helps.
These are the black dots i see everywere, in the bathroom floor, in the computer area...
In the room i sleep.  These are fresh from right now, brushing my head/face with my hand, and they fall in the sink, faucet?? were u brush your teeth...  

pic taken from my $hity blackberry camera, through a celestron digital microscope 44320

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/lobogamma/?action=view&current=IMG00263-20110510-2309.jpg

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/lobogamma/?action=view&current=IMG00266-20110510-2323.jpg

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/lobogamma/?action=view&current=IMG00268-20110510-2347.jpg

just getting to know the mic.  Need to practice more on focus, ilumination for the details to appreciate.  Will continue posting all the tons of stuff i have found during this nightmare.

to crash222

Air Wick seems to work somehow...
Its almost summer here, i turn the ac, closed all windows, and Airwick seem to calm the hurricane... I can still feel them, but very VERY light!!  I cant even see them anymore...
just a few once in a while.  ive been with this like 4 days... looking good.
Also i change my whole diet.
started wormwoodcombination + neem today as supplements.
Keep u posted on results...
sorry for my spelling...
I think there is a connection with the internal body chemistry and the digestive system. Gnats are drawn to and feed off of fungus. There are many types of fungus in our bodies. Candida of the scalp is one. Daily, continued does of Probiotic will help! If you have excessive yeast - which is a type of Fungus, you may need a prescription Nystain, and or Diflucan to hit it hard and then continue Probiotics. From the research I have done on yeast / fungus there is a connection not always, but often with Hypothyroidism. When your thyroid levels are off your body can have an over growth of yeast in the blood. We all have some yeast it is ok, but the excessive over growth will cause many health problems, and excrete it self through the skin. Treat this problem internal not external! For the person who talked about the gnats being in an apartment, they do feed off fungus, check the carpet. External fungus comes from moisture and foods. Internal fungus comes from antibiotic ( which can be from long ago), hormone imbalances, unbalanced thyroid, the foods we eat. Treat it from the inside! And aggressively! Maybe this will help!
I believe I have Morgellons too. Could you please shoot me an email at hap_dizzle***@**** so I can further discuss this with you in detail? Thank you.
Just like to refer to manicblogger's theory of garlic against this problem. I believe pests tend to be attracted to anything that is weakened, e.g weakened by parasites. So besides proper nutrition getting rid of parasites may be the ultimate solution. Manicblogger, have you heard of MMS (Master Mineral Solution) or another product called DMSO (Dimethylsulfoxide)? Both of these are known to counter all sorts of ailments and deceases including those caused by parasites and fungus, etc. By the way, DMSO has sulfur and it has a garlic odor that might repel gnats and flies. These are safe in my experience.
Hope this helps.
I'm very glad I found this thread. Gnats follow me constantly and have for years. I shower at least once a day and usually twice. I use unscented bathroom products but and keep a very neat apartment. My friends and family think its Monkish how much I worry about being clean. Still if there is a gnat or fly anywhere around it will hover around me no matter how many other people are nearby. They will follow me from room to room or through an entire mall or walmart.

Most of the time at home I am don't get troubled but when a gnat does find its way inside it can take weeks to get rid of them. I end up pointing every fan I own at my face as they don't seem to like flying into the wind this creates. Also I will wear a hoodie and ball cap at these times so they don't actually land on my skin or get in my hair. I even keep my head shaved so I can be sure no bugs are in there.

My friends think I have a self confidence problem but I refuse to tell anyone why I do this. I'm afraid that a 'professional' will label me crazy and that this label will stick with me forever. Sounds paranoid but my mother was told by a specialist that she was imagining her pain and for a very long time that followed her around. Even when she was divorced it was used against her in court. Later a good doctor told her she had Fibromyalgia and has helped her manage her pain but there will always be a note in her medical history where the first doctor said she was just crazy.

Anyways I'll try some of the suggestions you guys have made but even if they don't work for me its good to know I'm not alone with this problem.
I have the exact same problem. It drives me crazy. Last night I sat on my deck with a friend of mine. I was covered in gnats. He didn't have a one on him. It was particularly back on my legs, ears, and eyes.
If you ever figure it out, let me know.
I believe here is a definite cure: FOOD GRADE
DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_earth_mites.html)

The article talks about mites infestation on the person but I am certain that diatomaceous earth (DE) can just as easily tackle gnats or flies. DE shreds these pests to ribbons.

Be careful to buy food grade (not industrial grade) DE and avoid dusting it on yourself or near your pet to keep from inhaling this silica. Instead carefully add it to the given dosage of water and apply on your scalp, skin etc while also ingesting it daily. Parasites will be gone for good. In the meantime pay attention to good nutrition. I hope this is helpful.

With blessings
well glad i found this posting.  i have had these little creatures flying around now seems for a couple of months.  my common thread is that i have indigestion issues which i have never had before.  been in two , yes two car accidents in the last 6 months and as a result of high sensitivity issues with nerves, my stomach(which used to be "cast iron",lol i could eat lots and anything) now i have issues with volume.  also do not go # 2 as well anymore. often yes but not sufficient enough.  My flatulations also smell quite intensely and wonder since the common fruit fly is attracted to rotting fruit,, that intestinal issues may be emitting strong odours during the digestive processes and likely leaving much undigested.  There must be a correlation, can i get a second opinion.  H
i have the same problem but i only have one following me. hes been with me now for 2 years. i named him philip. im glad to see im not crazy and other people have the same problem bc i feel like if i talk to a dr about it they will put me in a mental institution and think im seeing things. i wonder if its the exact same one whos been following me, but its always jus the one
The vitamin D seemed to help some I thought, but I guess it’s not the whole answer. I went back through the posts and saw one from 07 about salt I’ve been trying to eat more homecooked meals and using my own salt which is “Real Salt” and you can get it at Target. It has trace minerals we rarely get in our diets because all our food is so overprocessed, even if we try to eat healthy, the soil that grows our food is depleted in nutrients too.. Whatever happened to me, I’m sure it resulted in some mineral depletion as well as vitamins, and flies and gnats aren’t as attracted to individuals who are healthy, same concept as horses on farms- they go after sicker ones. I don’t really feel that sick, but something’s going on. Whether the digestive issue caused the depletion first and then the flies and gnats started coming, or whether I got bit and then all this happened, I don’t know. My own observation is that when I ate something that caused the whole digestive isues was the root cause.

There seems to be something to the “sand granule” type things people are describing and pimples on scalp. It’s not dandruff nor does it seem to be an actual bug or louse (I’ve looked closely, but I could very well be wrong about it) It is weird though that many of us have scalp issues. Im speculating that perhaps I was bitten by something years back and maybe it keeps its life cycle going on under my scalp and it’s somehow drawing other insects to it, especially flies and gnats. I’ve done all kinds of treatments, none worked. Lately, I’ve been using peppermint shampoo and conditioner (Avalon) letting it sit a long time in my hair then making sure to blow hair dry to kill anything that might be there. It’s pricey, like $8 for an 11 oz bottle, but this does relieve itching and that crawling sensation, and I can use it every day.  Weird, I used to use “Lice Freee”-too expensive to use often, but it’s non toxic , active ingredient is actually salt…Natrum muriaticum (Sodium Chloride, USP), and I think also has Anise in it or an herb that smells like black licorice.  Looking back at “Morgellons” post on 04/25/11, this is also making me rethink the whole importance of salt as a natural remedy. Of course, it can only be used in moderation as a little goes a long way. But maybe some natural salt will make things work better in my body- help absorb more vitamins and minerals and who knows what else. It’s vital to life. Thinking of how it’s a catalyst- makes water boil faster. Natural insecticide too…hmmm..Also, I emailed Dr. Wymore of Charles E Holman Foundation website- Oklahoma University research center, a few months back but haven’t heard anything yet.
Hi, I don't think I've heard of MMS (Master Mineral Solution) or DMSO (Dimethylsulfoxide). Someone had mentioned to me from a health food store somehting about the right combination of minerals your body needs before other nutrients can be absorbed. I looked at MMS briefly, and there does seem to be some connection with salts and minerals...I'll be looking more deeply into this. Thanks!
I hate this I go through it evryday, someone has got to find a cure. I'm so tired of trying and failing, someone anyone please help
Wow You too?? I thought I was the only one, I had them since I first moved here last October 2010 and they're very annoyed so I googled it up about how to get rid of them so I bought me an apple cidere vinegar and got my own dish detergent so I poured in 4 bowls (for bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and living room) and just 5 drop of detergent in each bowl.... and guess what? IT'S WORK!! but unfortunately it's still around, from what I see.. each bowl have maybe 20 30 dead gnats and the one in kitchen maybe 6 or 7 I guess they only like to be in the bathroom and bedroom I don't know why but I will continue to use it til my lease is up **shaking my head and sooooo annoyed!! AHHHHHH!!!!
I have an indoor compost pail and opened it one day. A bunch of baby fruit flies came out. I killed a good deal of them but they spawned a few more. Every now and then, I see a little guy flying around in random places... While I'm eating at the airport, in the bathroom, in classes, in empty rooms. It's strange. I've never experienced this before.

I enjoy scientific reasoning so I've brought it down to some questions and believe I've worked out a solution. What changes in diet have occurred lately? How are other parts of my body doing? Feeling yeasty due to an overload in sugar in diet?

It's been a while since I've had any fresh leafy green veggies like spinach, and the miracle herb that is garlic. I should probably eat more legumes, fresh, raw veggies, and garlic for a while and see what happens. I'm confident I'll feel much better and no flies will want to hang out with me.

I hypothesize that an uptick in eating all this meat daily (burgers, beef burritos, pulled pork, chicken biscuits, hotdogs) has my body digesting the enzymes and honey bbq sauce and giving off a sweet meaty smell undetectable to humans but powerful to flies/gnats/smaller nostrils. If I were a fly, I'd check me out. "What's that delicious smell," I would ask, as I tormented myself.

In short, we are indeed what we eat and flies are attracted to carcases and me by extension of my recent diet, which is reflective of the animal yummy-ness I've been enjoying.

That's my story though. I don't know what everyone else's diet is. I really feel for all of you. Don't worry about the bugs.

Alternative hypothesis 1 -- They are attracted to a stress hormone. The more we stress over them, we sweat and secrete bacteria and hormones they are attracted to. Deodorant won't help. Not stressing over them or anything will go far.

Alt. hypothesis 2 -- Spiritually, they're a sort of omen. Could be good or bad, either way is a sign for needed change. Doing the same thing doesn't make them leave. Change up one thing about your lifestyle 2 weeks at a time and see what happens -- inner self - frantic or stressed? Outer self - diet reflective of inner distress? Everything else - how is my relationship to myself, family, friends, co-workers?

Alt. hypothesis 3 -- Ever heard of the bot fly? It lays eggs in your skin, but you would know because of the mother's initial bite to plant larvae and the larvae bursting out very painfully at maturation. Gross but true. Examine yourself at home or in a changing room with facing mirrors so you can see your back and neck.
Wow, what a forum.  I want you all to consider talking to a college or school about this, I talked to a Biology professor and he was the excentric type, a really intense hipppy-

About 3 years ago I was going to clean up my act- years of eating processed foods, basically sugar, grease and beer- was enough, and besides I was turning 30 and afraid of what was happening I was gaining a lot of wieght. So I bought a bunch of fruit and veggies and started to eat healthier. But the darn good food I bought had fruit flies!

No big deal. Until the corner of my eye I notice a black thing heading to my scalp.  I had always had a bad flaky scalp issue on my head- and really premature graying hair-  I would swatt away. And little flies were taking over my home. . . I would wake up and 13 of them would leave the shower complaining I took all the hot water. They love moisture. And would chase me around! And brother I tell you 'look out!' - when I opened a beer bottle "GOODNIGHT" those some beaches loved drowning themselves! BEE line to the top of the bottle to crawl inside! I had to chug the beer down, it impressed the girlfriend. . she refused to come over unless I did something about the flies. I bought a mosquito coil and 'fishtanked' the house for about 3 hours. No avail. All for not. It masked the constant flatulance I was so proud of - I perfected it over the years. .  .

moving on.

I ate all the veggies and fruit but still snuck in sugary crap, mostly 2 large sugary mochas from the farbucks, I am civil service this is the norm for all of us government basterds; everyday!  

And noticed when I perspired profusely I would get a terrible rash. I talked to my Doctor. I hadn't seen him in 2 years he was shocked I gained about 50 pounds. But I told him I was eating more greens on top of my old diet.

He told me my flaky scalp and rashes was due to a high sugar diet. And he lectured me about diabetes for a good 10 minutes (thats a long time to be cornered in your unmentionables!)  Well my girlfriend was on the otherside of the curtain and called my mother.

"Goodnight" No more sugar in the diet and mandatory gym everydang day; and my mother called her cousin a biology professor at the local state university- he was at my house a few days later with clorox bleach. He proceeded to dump about a quart of bleach down every drain in my house- And told me to do this for about a month 3 times a week! He explained to me where the fruit flies go when I am not around and that deep in the drains a scum builds up and the larve thrive on it even in cold months! He then said "Just be lucky your not in a big apartment complex you would have to 'treat' the pipes at least once a month for life."

A 3 year story combined into this series of bad grammered paragraphs. My cousin the Professor had a parasitealogy (spelling?) class he taught every spring. He then asked about my sugar intake, and told me to at least drink lots of water if you continue stressing out my pancreas with 'sugarcoffee' everyday. I cut back to just coffee and 2 percent, until friday, I have just 1, sugarcoffee.  Well guys the gym and diet and treatment, has allowed my woman backinto my house and this time real 'goodnight!' wink, wink. ...

GOOD HEALTH! CLEAN DRAINS! NO MORE EXCESSIVE FLATULANCE AND HEARTBURN, and NO MORE LITTLE FLIES AROUND MY HOME OR FACE!

NO MORE FRUIT FLIES!!!

good luck guys

I feel the same way I think it is an epicdemic. My daughter came home from scool (she is a teacher) with a bunch of apples, there was a red one that was rotted and we didn't know that brought the fruit flies I think but I notice that we went on a bus trip to PA before that and the bus was coverd in fruit flies they were all around me and not bothering others as much. now since the apple incident I see them everywhere I go :/
be careful all with these symptoms. They are a prelude to Morgellons disease in which the skin looses its PH, and the body goes haywire. There is so much they don't know about this illness, but it is a nightmare, and the first attack is horrific. PLEASE READ ABOUT THIS LEGITIMATE ILLNESS. Go to CDC site to confirm, then to the Charles Holman Foundation, or Oklahoma University is researching it. There is speculation that some GMO (genetically modified organisms) Have been released into the environment via chem trail spraying possibly for agriculture, and/or testing in the synthetic biology industry. YES OUR GOVERNMENT
ALLOWS BIOLOGICAL TESTING! Read about it at bioethics.gov and click their study. You will be shocked! Nonetheless, when GMO is ingested through the food, or inhaled, the stage is set. This is just one theory. The COVERUP, I believe is to protect those companies responsible including the FDA who allows this sh-t without testing. Ask me how I know? I have it. Doing very well now, after much research, and suffering.
The organism in question is a microarthropod, and lives under the skin. It can bite and scratch you from the inside. It is a horrific nightmare.
The organism in question that gives you the creepy crawlys thrives on sugar, and starches, and yest products. Give them up. Correct your skin immunity too by taking a good Primadophilus capsule double dose. WHat helped me was yogurt directly on skin, or open up one of those capsule and use that. Clean out your gut because this disease starts on the inside and is systemic. It is thought to occur from the bite of a fly cause myasis. it is very serious and people are dying from it while the world is being told these people are crazy. Look at history and remember how long it takes befor a cover up is finally exposed. don't deny this is happening to your body like I did 9 years ago. I had a sever crisis with this disease last December. Visist boards and learn what you need to do. YOU ALL LIKELY HAVE THIS DISEASE. SORRY. Get help now. Forget the doctors, unless you go to one that is versed in this. they will not help you. Here is what I did since I cannot advice you as I am not a doctor: Drink lemon water and cayenne pepper every day to break down the biofilm that as built up in your body and on your skin. your skin has a film like fungus attached to you that is attracting bugs. bath in lots epson salts daily, and rinse well. use coconut oil on skin. when you feel that sticky skin, that is the biofilm. doxycylene is one drug of choice. 100 mg 2 x per day is what I took. Take Garlic oil daily which is a natural antibiotic. Morgellons is a malaria like infection related to lyme disease - another theory. These are some of many suggestions.  Join the boards. get info. do something.
Hi. I'm from the Philippines and I think I have this condition too for more than 5 years now. my scalp is oily and sweats extremely. at a time, i thought that was the thing that attracts the flies. there also seems to be some movements in my scalp/head (i.e. crawling-creeping sensation). I don't know where this movement comes from. In addition, I observe that when i enter a room people begins sneezing and coughing. A number of them says that there is a feather-like object that they feel in their throat, thus the sneezing and coughing. But they only begin to do so when i enter the room. i also observe with my pet cats.

Lately, i noticed that ant-like insects appear to be falling from my face/head. i see them at my office desk when i bow my head and read something off the desk.

What is happening to me?

please help, anyone.
I have had the same problem.  I live in Arizona and have had these strange looking tiny fruit fly type insects in my home.  They got in my hair and caused a terrible scalp infection.  I've even had symptoms like seizures, stabbing eye pain and pancreatitis.  I've also had diarhea (diarrhea), fever, sore throat and chest pressure and coughing.  This is awful.  Can anyone tell me what this is.  The doctors think I'm crazy.  I'm really scared
I also have this. I cant believe this actually came up with my google search! It has been happening for about 2 months now. I have never had it before. They follow me to work, the store, peoples houses, outside..everywhere. At work people keep saying its my trash or something around my desk, but I know it is me. It is so embarrassing! I am very clean, but It keeps happening. A few months back my dr said I have some cancerous cells and I need to go get some tests done, but I havent gone yet, I am wondering if this is a factor? Do they smell the disease? They dont bother anyone else, but my coworkers see them and tease me about it a little bit. I dont believe that they actually would think that they come from me, however I know they do. This is ridiculous, there has to be something to get rid of them! I do not have any sores or cuts, I do not feel them on me, I do not think they are in my hair at all....But they do follow me everywhere.
While I have had gnat infestations in my house (which I killed with vinegar and soap in a bottle with small holes poked through it, and sprayed just a little clorox down the drains to keep them from swarming around the inside of the P-trap), I have not experienced them swarming around me-- surprisingly because I wear sweet smelling lotions and eat a lot or sugary foods. I do know for a fact though that this problem does in fact exist. I worked at a day care and there was a 3 year old girl who had white gnats IN her hair-- not just flying around her. I was going to braid her hair and as soon as I parted it, white gnats started flying from her hair and were hovering just 2 inches from it. They were not standing on top of her hair, they were actually underneath a pile of hair-- just like lice, only with wings! It scared the living crap out of me because I have never seen anything like it. I told her parents about it, who only commented that she didn't like taking a shower. If it were my child, I'd do what ever takes to MAKE my child take a shower and wash their hair-- Come on ya'll, who's running the show here? you or your child?? Especially if it is affecting their health. I felt so sorry for that poor child. After coming across certain websites, I realize that those gnats were actually laying eggs under her scalp. The problem is probably not as severe and damaging as Botflys, but apparently there are found to be 36 types of flies known to cause myiasis in humans.

Everyone who has been to this website needs to go to these links regarding Myiasis and Morgellons:

http://www.morgellonsuk.org.uk/flyexperiences.htm

If you don't this applies to you, and you feel the gnats or fruit flies are just following you, I would still double check. Otherwise it could be diet and chemistry. Even if you have not changed any of your habits, our body chemistry changes over the years or under stress.

I know what it's like to have a doctor dismiss your personal diagnosis. I had nesting cockatiels who got overly stressed when I tried to clean their cage. So I didn't clean the cage for a month. When I finally cleaned it, my bared stomach rubbed the bars of the cage as I stuck my head inside-- it was a large cage-- and the next thing I know I was itching like crazy on that very spot. I went to the doctor and he told me bird mites do not infest humans. He diagnosed it as scabies and gave me medicine for scabies. Really? Well that's just like saying sharks and anacondas don't eat humans, and fleas don't try to feed on humans. We may not be the preferred item on the menu but we're still on the menu. Animals and bugs don't have morals saying "thou shalt not bite or infest a human being!" So don't give up! Ask around town to see which doctors people love because the doctor actually cares. 

Please keep in mind that 90% of doctors acknowledge only what is commonly known in the medical field and until it is a fact brought up at one of their annual educational seminars they have to go to every year or on their trusted membership sites/magazines, anything otherwise is looked upon as urban myth or diagnosed as paranoia. I'm willing to bet if you were to print out this forum and show it to a good doctor-- one who loves what he/she does and isn't just in this field for the money-- that doctor would research the problem and try to find a solution. 
Hope this helped or at least encouraged.
I have this same problem I feel like!!  Its insane & I really thought it was just me, but its good to know this has happened to other people!!  But what do we do & why does this happen??!!   Has anyone found out anything??
I am o+ so I'm not sure blood type has anything tdo with it??
Here are some possible causes:
* You eat fruit or sugar and the fruit flies are attracted to your breath and sweet sweat.
* You live in a humid area which makes you sweat alot, attracting gnats and fruit flies. Move to a dry climate.
* Some people sweat more than others, attracting flies. This is genetic.
* Some people have seet smelling sweat. Everyone has a different body chemistry. The fruit flies think your hair is fruit, because it smells like fruit, so they burrow into the hair and lay eggs, as they would to fruit. This may explain why they follow only you. Blood types are also genetic.
* Diabetes or pre-diabetes: The urine of a diabetic person is sweet. The ancient Indians tested for diabetes by observing whether ants were attracted to a person's urine, and called the ailment "sweet urine disease" (Madhumeha). So, pee on the ground and come back later to see if ants are on it. If the urine is sweet, I wonder if the breath and sweat are also sweet. This would attract ants & fruit flies mabey. Most people with pre-daibetes don't know they have it. Everyone eats too much sugar. Sugar is in many processed foods, even beans & salad dressing. Eating too much sugar is a main cause of diabetes. About 45 million people are considered prediabeticin the U.S. Chance of pre-diabetes is greater for people over 35, overweight people, and those who do not excercise. Pain in feet is a side effect of diabetes.
* High oil content in skin, sweat, and hair. Some people have very oily skin and hair, which attracts insects. This is a genetic. If the oil can be wiped away or dried out, it may reduce the insect problem.
* Not brushing your teeth might cause bad breath that attracts insects. Most of the people chatting here are very clean, so this may not be the cause for most.
* You live next to a river, pond, or swamp, where there are more flying insects. But this wouldn't explain why they follow you.
People tend to get diabetes over the age of 35. That might explain why the fruit flies are following the person only for the last few years. mabey the person has just contracted diabetes or pre-dibetes a few years ago.
I don't know if these will work, but they are worth a try:
* Vacation or move to a snowy area like the mountains. Cold kills insects.  
* Vacation or move to a rainy area like Seattle. Constant rain pushes flying insects to the ground.
* Mabey mix salt or baking soda in water or lemon juice or lemonade and wash hair with it. Don't get it in your eyes - it stings the eyes.
* Swim underwater every day for an hour in a pool where they use chlorine, like in a public pool.
I think I have they same thimg as you , I went to the er, they gave me antiobiotic and told me I was crazy, I went to Primary who referred me to a Derm DR, the derm dr wouldn't look at my scalp but had his assist take a scalp biopsy that I can't have removed for 2 weeks with 3 stiches and he called today to tell me that he sent it out and all is norm, he referred to his scraping, I said you mean the dander I gave you in aluminum foil, he said yes. Exuse me but I usualy know better then to do bus with Maraj Boooopaththty types.. I today saw 4 nats fall from me and then one fly in fron of mein the moniter and i realized Iv'e seen them come out of my head while digging my nits out, I have lost most my hair and It's a horrible bightmare painful and after I read the following article Iam taking this to my Specialist. It's not only about that disease it goes on to cover Invermectin and ngat infestation inthe scalp
try going to walmart and getting a knit catcher which is in the form of a apple which as apple special apple juice which is actually knat repellent!!  you now have a solution please send check a money order to.... just kidding good luck. Steve0
I read your post  one's with O blood types if they eat bananas can attract insecets it makes the blood taste very sweet so i don't eat em if i go outside and I'm also O negitive blood type don't have huge problem with knats and they come around during the fall season can be fruit some times i have to eat bananas as i don't have lota iron in my body not diabetic i am very healthy and bath reglarly like others say but it could be the fruit hope this helps my mothers a nurse so she's a huge help and the fruit i think it's only with blood O types not sure alwsys known they are drown to me and my blood taste sweet to em  even as a child but never knew why
well have a blessed afternoon
READ THIS IF YOU HAVE FLY PROBLEMS!
Be careful people can get exposed to so many they can litterally plant them in your vents watch out for corrupt grandma's if this is the case id normally burn some soap where ever her rooms get a pot of water put soap diswashing liquid and anti bactieral germacidal burn that for a good hour if you dont have that burn paper towels make sure your family isnt around when your doin it only your grandma also smoking cigars ciggarete's works too make sure you PLUG ANY VENLATION SYSTEMS in your room and cover your door to be unexposed to these less often make sure their coverd completely with aliminum or tape!
This is a true story of what im going threw right now!
     I've had this problem for 30 years. I went to a dermatologist, thinking I had lice.He said there was nothing and I had a Psychosis? Another derm doc told me stop talking about it or people will think you are nuts. I tried lice treatments, flea powder oils everything. nothing worked. I took some of the bugs to the local bug doctor he said they were "Pear Psyllas". We had pear trees on our property that were neglected for many years as it was previously  been a arbor with many fruit trees. We cut down many of the infested trees. We moved away but the bugs persisted in my scalp. I did some research on theses flies and they are cyclical and have 4 stages one the egg, placed anywhere or in grooves, two the nymph  a small version  and the adult flies. Recently the adult flies were flying out of my hair almost constantly and some contained blood!!!! So we know they were biting me. They place their eggs all over my body, and some areas turn dark brown and never return to normal as they inject a toxin.
   I recently decided to shave my entire head, no bugs were seen in the hair! My scalp remains a problem, it is very puffy and continues to itch and feel like bugs crawling on it. I can feel them come out of their shells or whatever and pop against my night cap, some times dozens at a time. I plan to continue to shave mt heaf until they disappear,
Your solution sounds plausible. I will  try the borax. So far I have shaved my head completely but to no avail. I still have something in my scalp. Doctors even dermatologists think you are crazy don't even bother with them.
I can't say I have answers yet. I am still taking vitamin D3 because several months back, I had tested and my vitamin D was extremely low. I noticed after taking vitamin D for the first couple weeks last year, the gnat/fly issue was less but very obviously still a problem. Maybe since I've been taking vitamin D so long now and also multivitamins and other supplements, I haven't seen a gnat or fly for a few months, although it's a little cold outside so I can't be certain, but it's odd (in a good way) that I haven't seen anything because even with cold weather they still come around- they did last year despite it being really close to freezing! (I’m in TX).

Besides the vitamin D3, the other thing I did sort of new which I think helped was to wash my hair with JASON'S brand natural DANDRUFF SHAMPOO. I never actually had dandruff, but I washed for at least 2 straight weeks, and also making sure to blow dry hair. I suspect this has helped- I tried the lice shampoo before which seemed to help for a day, then not…I think medicated shampoos are not safe to use for long periods of time, but Jason’s is natural so maybe try that. Got it at Whole Foods- you can probably order online too. I switch shampoos for a few days then go back to the Jason’s for a couple weeks, alternate like that. Hope this helps! Not a cure- I’ll definitely know when it gets warmer outside if the issue is still there. Makes me think there really is something to the scalp fungus idea- seems several people here have experienced very itchy scalp. Doesn't quite make sense that people with dandruff wouldn't have this issue as dandruff is due to fungus too, and I've never really had dandruff but I did notice some debris in my hair, not really flakes though, was like small grains of sand sometimes. Hmmm, well, hope it helps- give it a try. The coal tar shampoo did nothing for me- I will keep using Jason's and see what happens when it gets warmer outside...
this cannot be real , cannot believe i found this site and so many  have this problem  . cannot believe noone really knows what is happening here and any doctor that does not take this serious should lose their license ! ! !... ive had this problem for almost thirty years  and i am almost ready to give up . it is beyond frustraighting   to find out so many are suffering and noone has an answer and the doctors take this as a big joke . they should be a shame to call them self a doctor . ive tried going to doctors and got same results , nothing but a big bill  and no help. i am convinced it is a digestive problem .  i have never thought anything was coming from my scalp ,its clear to me the flies are being drawn to me only when i eat certain foods . this is beyond unreal . i thought i was the only one .  i feel for each and everyone of you , Trust me ! God bless you all . im sorry the doctors seem to be a joke , come on !
Sir to say the fact i behave like a man person these days due to the treats of these tinny flying insects ranging in sizez. i live in malaysia, these insects mostly gets out of gabbage plastics and some even fly about the street. but what alarm me these days is that i have killed millions of them and funny enough they keep coming and the funniest is that they always follow me about anywhere i go flying on my head. millions of them. some are invisible and some are visible. Another thing is that they dont touch my wife and 2 children , only me.the smallest ones enter my nose, ears bite my body when i want to sleep i cannot sleep well. inside car they fly on my head i beat my head everytime. if this continue like this i will be mad soon. please what can i do. i have bought serious of insects repealants and non seems to work. out of 20 people they will be bitting me alone and be flying on my head. my head is now full of spots from itching and my body too. i used to shake mostly when they bite cos the pain got deep to me like needle and it makes my body feels like i am been punished by a god or i am begining to think it is spiritual
i completey feel your pain . I have always fely that God was punishing me  and cannot understand how he could let this go on so many years  of my life , i have suffered so long   , it has even hurt my children because i dont even go places or see people ,most  of the time  i avoid  everyone and everything , i dont understand  how  this can be really happening .i whole life seems to be a waste , it makes me mad at the whole world , i must to have prayed no less than a million times asking God why  but it continues on .makes me feel that life is a big joke .this and a couple of other problems have just about drained the all the life from me .why will the doctors not do what they are supposed to do  and help the people with this problem ? to them its a laughing matter , they just dont care .one of us could see a doctor everyday for ten years and they still would tell us why this happens , all we get is another over priced doctor bill and told to come back again next month . think how many other people are suffering from this  that dont even know about this site  and think its only happening to them. isn't there one doctor that cares ??
i am surprised at how many people are actually facing this problem. it is embarassing and for me as a woman I am getting worried about it as i do realize that this is slowly becoming a problem for me. we have moved office and for the first two days it was okay and all of a sudden i notice this fruit fly coming to my desk again! the office is on a high floor now and i do know that my boss always eats a banana but the fly always lingers around my desk and it is embarassing when sometimes while chatting with colleagues, this fly just comes around me...what should i do? it only happens at work. i do sweat more that usual and now that i need to walk to work, it makes it worse as my scalp does sweat and i dont knw what to do :(
amazing  the doctors do not see this as a real problem . i guess it will take one of the them being in this situation  before they will take this serious !doesn't seem a doctors or God cares that this can destroy a persons life  !  i think it must be some kind of food sensitivity .can you imagine  how many doctor visits this could take  and even then  probably never get an accurate diagnosis  but one thing you know will happen is  you will fork over the BIG BUCKS to our mofia govt  ! everyone knows our medical care cost 5 or 6 times what they should be charging   but our govt over sees our health care  so there is the problem . when will the citizens of this country stand up an stop our mafia run govt .  its a shame if someone in this country gets sick you will lose your whole life savings  and we keep letting them do this to us . im  just saying  !
I am so exhausted in battling this affliction I will not detail 'my story' at this time. I will thank 'Morgellon' poster for the helpful tip, I already did those baths and an avid consumer of epsom and borax for the last six years among other amo, Will fine tune on the focusing on the scalp treatment more, having tried just about everything, I mean EVERYTHING, from herbal to offshore heavy duty RX, gadgets from ozone generators, ,de humidifier, professional foggers, vapor steamers, moving couple of times, throwing stuff and personal belongings out over and over again (sounds easy right, no ,all those sentimental values were attached as well), I live like a leper now, from frequenting high end hair salons, spa groomed, well dressed, and now I am reeking mostly of desperate remedies of getting rid of these things that are following me constantly, I constantly auto 'infect/infest', from car to apartment, from my hand to my hair etc. . , I have biofilms.
besides from the constant visual, the tactile is unbearable, EVERYWHERE, how can any human live like this for so long, animals would be put to sleep, (just recently they had a news report on tv about those bees that are infested with larvae and they all take off far to die to protect the hive). If mutations can happen in animal and fish it can happen with humans but our doctors are arrogant money monkers, and I am a healthcare professional and seen it all, yes I have .
These things are like body and envirnonmental lice, I can see them now, at first I did not , just noticed them, progressively more invasive, now I am far gone, they are in every part of my body and environement and they are resistant to just about everything, deter yes, kill no.
I can not identify with morgellon yet, I do not have drastic stuff coming out of my skin all the other symptoms match and I have professional digitial microscopic images to prove it, I also have pics of the bites at times, mostly they , these airborne things are so light weight they merely 'blend' in, every niche , as tiny as under my fingernail as tiny as going into every groove of funiture or textile weave, toilet and facial tissue always in zip lock now, ridiculous, as they are so quick , by the time I open the bag , they  are already in by the time I close them again. and on and on.....
the live breed and feed of me, period, I ingest, inhale and assimilate them period.
..and the medical community forgot it, if it is not in their textbook it does not exist.
Six years into this hell
Everything you said I'm experiencing as well.  However I have only had this for a year now.  Family of 5 yet I am the only one who has issues with this.  You mentioned fogging. Have you tried Cedar Cide Best Yet?  They created a formula to kill a mite called Colembolla.  This mite sounds like what we all are experiencing.
I agree with you 100% it is an affliction. Terrible I have been suffering with it for 30 years. recently after finding this site I have tried" tea tree oil". it has been great. I also shaved off all my hair. there were no bugs in my hair they are in my scalp , which is very lumpy. Try it and pleas elet me know how you are doing. eileen
what were your results?
I agree mine started after sitting under an infested pear tree. It had not been treated for years and was covered with some kind of grime all the leaves were full of bugs. There were pear psyllas. They got in my hair , one adult psylla can produce and lay up to 1500 eggs so you can image the damage it has done to me.
can you send me the pix so i can compare them to the ones I have.?
I am glad you mentioned the UC Davis folks, because they are the nemesis in regards to setting the tone in the medical community and otherwise to automatically disregard anyone 'seeing bugs' that no one else can see .  I could go on and on about this particular franchise. I dare them to hang out with me for a day.
The thing is they need  at a minimum to re phrase their 'brain washing ' statement: you can not see this bugs right away, but if 'you' are targeted by these gz illion almost translucent and quick moving hiding things,plus they multiply so quickly and nothing seems to kill them really, they become resistant , period. So they the UC DAVIS folks need to re phrase: IF YOU CAN NOT SEE THEM RIGHT AWAY, spend some time with the patients, shine a bright light on them, observe , be still. you WILL notice them too.
Just like my patients notice('where is this gnat coming from?") of course they do not see the connection right off to me), as I spend a couple of hours 'alone' time with them, they only see one or two ( they travel in clusters, web like or hair like attachement as well.
Also please go and see yogitheomann's post. Check out the invisible bugs thread on this site as well.
THANKS  stay in touch in this hellish existence of so many . which is another point of debunking their brisk 'delusional' condemnation.
google delusional: UC D always pops up, lately I saw one post, where some guy in the midwest commented on how many more people reporting bug infestation on themselves and the environment and he did what he was told, referred them to UCD for the delusional verdict. How can so many people from all over the world, report the so many commonalities about their affliction , it is statistically improbable, period.
Viewing 1-200 comments: