Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Growth/Lumps on back of head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Growth/Lumps on back of head

Have any of you heard of someone with growths on the back of their head slightly below the ear (not really close to the ear more than 2 inches from her hairline)? My daughter started to put her hair up and found a lump about the size of a hershey kiss on the right and another about the size of a marble on the left. She said she had no idea they were there and had not hit her head that she remembered. She uis 15 and had craniosynostosis as baby. I cannot find any symptoms of crainsynostosis later in life and I cannot find any clue what would make these lumps appear....

Any ideas??????

It can be sebaceous cyst or a lipoma.(It is a benign fatty tumor).

Sebaceous cyst is a closed sac or cyst below the surface of the skin that has a lining that resembles the uppermost part (infundibulum) of a hair follicle and fills with a fatty white, semi-solid material called sebum produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebaceous_cyst

It is painless but can become painful if infected.

It can be a swollen lymph node also. . Swollen lymph node is usually caused by a viral or bacterial infection.

Late life sequelae of craniosynostosis are rare after treatment but if you notice the symptoms of raised intracranial pressure like forceful vomiting or headaches then pls consult your neurosurgeon.

For the swelling, I feel that an examination by a dermatologist is preferable as sometimes all the three (sebaceous cyst, lipoma and swollen lymph node) may need biopsy and excision.

Take care and pls do keep us posted on how your daughter is  doing.

Kindd, gave some excellent advice. However; you may also want to look into Decrums Disease, Adiposis Dolorosa for additional symptoms.
I hope everything goes well and she is better in no time at all.
TC
I took her to get checked and they are testing her for Lyme Disease since the ticks have been bad this year. He went ahead and put her on antibiotics. She has developed more symptoms as time as gone on - she has pain behind her ear and inside her ear and she has gotten somewhat achy all day.

Thanks for all your help - I will keep you posted.