Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Gurgling/Pain in left side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Gurgling/Pain in left side

Hi everyone,

I posted here about 2 months ago, as I had an extremely bad cough (after the flu) that lasted for several weeks (month and a half), including congested sinuses, very painful. Thankfully, that cough/sinus issue disappeared a few weeks ago. However, I still have a lingering pain/strange feeling that I hope someone can offer some insight on. I've already seen three doctors, had an EKG/X-Ray and everything seemed to be fine (although I may have to go back). I'm 26, and a relatively healthy male (at least I think so..), although I have gained 30lbs in the last few years which I'm trying to get rid of, but overall I feel fine other than this.

Ok, so basically whenever I breath normally or deeply (inhale and exhale), I experience a what I can only describe as a "gurgling" (feels like fluid, or raspiness in my left side, which i'm *assuming* is my lung. I've read online it could also be "heart failure" which is pretty alarming to say the least.. This has only developed in the last week. I also continue to have on/off pains on my left side which *seems* to be triggered by movement/stretching, etc.. I had my GF try to pull my shoulder back because it feels like a muscle/nerve that is trapped, and it became VERY painful.. so obviously I won't try that again, but the pain overall continues to be about the same.. Becomes sharper when breathing deeply. I think the added "gurgling" symptom has made me more anxious, which is not likely helping the situation. Just to be more precise, the pain seems to focus on directly on, just under my left breast (top ribs) and extend to just below my armpit, that's where the focused pain seems to be. It certainly seemed like a stuck nerve, ribcage pain due to inflammation, or even posture related (sit at a computer often, day job), but gurgling (as far as I know) doesn't fall into these categories.

Additionally, I walked/jogged for a few hours on the weekend, and I felt no shortness of breath, heart rate seemed to be fine, no pain, no discomfort.

I can't get to the doctor again until Tuesday/Wednesday, so any suggestions as to what this may be, would be greatly appreciated.
Bump

Thanks for writing to the forum!
Basically I can think of two possibilities.
There is a strong possibility it is costochondritis (inflammation of the joint between rib and sternum. The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you.
Chances are that you have esophageal reflux (GERD), where the food in your stomach is thrown up into your food pipe or esophagus. This also causes burning sensation or discomfort in the chest area. Another possibility is hiatal hernia, where a portion of stomach herniates into the chest cavity through the diaphragm. Agerd or hiatal hernia can cause a gurgling sound.
I do not think your problem is related to heart.
Hope this helps. Do consult your doctor with these possibilities. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Thanks for your great comments/observations! Oddly enough, I woke up this morning, and the gurgling/raspiness sound has seemed to pass? It lasted the last few days, but it seems to have disappeared today. Very strange to say the least.. I'll continue to monitor the situation to see if it comes back.

The GERD issue you bring up is very interesting. Sometimes when I eat (not all the time), I seem to "feel" food in my lower throat. I'm likely at the point where I'm used to it now, but I'm guessing that is something to look out for? Acid Reflux has also been a problem for me depending on what I eat. I've tried to isolate it to hot/spicy foods, however sometimes it seems to come/go at random no matter what type of foods I eat (although oily foods such as canned sardines, oysters, seem to trigger it faster?).

Thanks again for your help! I'll make sure to post back if I visit my Dr, and if other symptoms re-occur.

Cheers!