Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
HELPLESS!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

HELPLESS!!!

I hope that I come across this site from the good Lord above!!! I have a 5 year old daughter that had the H1n1 flu on June 10, 2009. Following a week after that she had a broncitis tyoe of cough all day and night. Her pulminary dr put her on a round of zithromax for 5 days. After the cough went away, she started having these choking and gagging spells an hour after she fell asleep. It's now been two straight weeks on this 2-4 times when she sleeps. It's only been once during the day and she has vomited three time during these episodes. This past week she was admitted in the hospital and had a broncoscopy and a barrium swallowing test done. Both test can out to be fine. She was also tested for micoplasm and is positive for that. So they've put her on another round of zithromax. Now, she's been discharged after 5 days and nobody has a clue of whats going on. August 7th is a sleep study since it happens mostly in her sleep, with a endoscopy and possibly a Ph probe. I'm a nervous wreck and it's awful to watch her struggle to breathe and choke. It's like someone has put their hands aorund her neck and is trying to choke her to death. She's been sick for a year now with this cough until she can't catch her breathe. They say sje has asthma but all the meds don't help her. I've changed peds, had 2nd opinions on allery and asthma. I'm sooooooo stressed out!!! My husband works out of town all week and I;m the primary care taker and I hate life right now!!!!! I'm sad to watch this beautfiul little girl be held back from all of her normal routine. She's been having this choking thing for two straight weeks now and not letting up. I really need some help and advice!!! Could you please help us....we are HELPLESS!!!!!!!!!!
1 Comment
Thanks for writing to the forum!
I am sorry to hear about your daughter suffering so much. There are two possibilities that come to my mind. One is sleep apnea, but does your daughter have snoring that progressively increases and results in her waking up gasping for breath? I know that is a classic symptom but sleep apnea has several symptomatic variants. Hence sleep studies can only confirm for sure.
The other possibility is a weak GERD or a lax esophageal sphincter. In such cases the reflux is not felt during the day but wakes up a person at night. Also it can cause an irritant cough to start once a person lies down. Talk to your doctor regarding this possibility and start medications like omeprazole and antacids to see if there is benefit. There are a few things which you can however do at your end. Avoid heavy meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones.  Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Put her to bed at least 2 hours after food.
Hope this helps you.  It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!