Hair Loss - Gnats?
While at a BBQ, I was attacked by a swarm of gnats.  Most of them were in my hair. Since then, I have had hair loss and an itchy or tingling sensation in my scalp.  As I woman, I am very upset at the loss of hair I have experienced.  Can anyone help?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Gnat bite can cause hair loss. Treatment is generally by local application of hydrocortisone cream and antiallergics. The air fall should stop once the inflammation settles. Please consult a skin specialist.
Hope this helps. Do let me know if there is any thing else and keep me posted. Take care!
Hi Rosie...its Chris...

I ran across your post while researching this for Mom too.  I do think its connected. Maybe even mites that were on the gnats may be the culprit. Mom seems to also be allergic to shellfish, which are also arthropods.  I believe the 3 biggest systemic causes of hair loss are hormonal imbalance, diabetes, and poor thyroid function, but it seems none of these would cause scalp dermatitis.  I think it is an allergy and the swarm of gnats getting in the hair prior to any hair loss symptoms, seems definitely related.