Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Hair loss, etc

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hair loss, etc

I'm 28 and for the last few years I've had hair loss. When it first started, there was a large bald spot in one section of my head. It finally grew back after several months but my hair (which was once extremely thick) is so thin. I go through periods of time where my hair will just start falling out.
Also I have times where my arms ache really badly as if I have the flu. I also suffer from periods of insomnia and stay tired the majority of the time. If I drink too much caffeine, my hands shake really badly. My mind will race but body is still tired.I've cut down on caffeine.
Is all of this related in some way? What do I need to do?
Hi reading your post, i think you need a TSH,FT3,FT4, thyroid blood test.
Also FBC to also check for anaemia.
Thyroid disorders and anaemia, cause the hair to fall out and muscle aches with tiredness.
My first step would be to see the gp for blood tests on the thyroid and for anaemia.
It sounds very much like a thyroid problem to me.
Hope this is off some, help, im no doctor, but thats were i would be starting.
There is a good doctor on here who does post regular , so maybe he will give you some advice.
Good luck
Nicola
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Iron deficiency is the commonest cause of hair loss. Hair loss can also be due to dandruff, dermatitis, shampoos, oils, soaps, dust and dirt etc. Thyroid disorders and diabetes too could be a cause. Insomnia, stress and anxiety along with poor diet and excess of caffeine too can be the cause. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!