Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Hair loss and heavy periods...related????

A community for discussions on undiagnosed symptoms: breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I have been having extremely heavy periods that last at least two weeks and go away for three weeks and then come back. Well now I am losing hair like crazy. Now I know that people shed hair but this is to the point my husband is noticing my hair is thinner. I also have been having horrible stomach cramps usually in the middle of the night. If anyone has any comments or ideas that would help I would appreciate it! Thanks.
Avatar n tn
Hey,
I know how you feel with the heavy periods and hair loss...I am dealing with the same stuff.  Have you been to your doc and had a thyroid panel done?  Just a little blood work to see if there is a problem with your thyroid.  I have been hypothyroid (underactive) since 1998 and have been on thyroid hormone replacement since then.  A couple of months ago, during an ultrasound for my neck, they caught a glimpse of something on my thryoid.  I went for FNA biopsy and found out a week later that I have thyroid papillary carcinoma.  It is a very treatable cancer and it is usually slow growing...just worried b/c I don't know how long I have had it.  Having surgery on Thurs (31st).
Please don't misunderstand, I am not saying you have cancer....what I am saying is that those are hypothyroid symptoms, but they are also symptoms of other things too.  Have you been to your OB/GYN?  If you don't mind, how old are you?  Could it be hormonal?  Geez, I hate to say that b/c my doc told me that I was just "hormonal" and that I just suffered from "anxiety"....Ah, YEAH - anxiety from not knowing what the hell is wrong!?!??!?!?!??  Anyway, just a couple of questions, I am sure that someone else here will have something to post as well.  Keep posting and we'll try to help - good luck to you.  If you get the thyroid panel done, get a copy and post your results....that may help.
Take Care,
Charley
Avatar n tn
I have not had a thyroid check done. I will talk to my doctor about that. I am 25 years old to answer your question. It is just frustrating. And don't worry I am not one of those people that freak out because some one with similar symptoms has cancer. I know it could be anything or nothing at all. I am just tired of my hair being everywhere and the periods!!!!! Thank you for your help.
Avatar n tn
Hey,
Glad you didn't freak!!! lol
Yeah, ask your doc for the thyroid panel.
When you get results, post and let us know how
it went!
Good Luck,
Charley
Avatar n tn
thanks again