Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Hangover symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hangover symptoms?

Hi, hope someone can shed some light on this.

For the past few months, every morning when I wake up, I have been waking up with what I can only describe as hangover symptoms. I do not drink at all anymore. I wake up feeling extremely sick, sometimes vomit. The thought of food...ugh. My stomach feels very weak and so I. I feel a bit light headed when standing/walking. Just generally feel rubbish. It seems to go away after a few hours (although it's beginning to start again at night just before bed). I've also noticed the earlier I wake up, the worse it is. I occasionaly feel like i need to make a bowel movement with it but cannot go.

I thought maybe i was a bit dehydrated as I seem to sweat a lot at night but i've been drinking plenty of water for the last month (and taking water up to my bedroom at night) but it has made no difference. As with a hangover, if I do manage to get some food down me I start to feel better.

I've suffered with GERD for a while, i don't get heartburn, I get the burning feeling right at the back of my throat and often regurgetate. Could it be related? I'm so miserable, i feel so ill every morning :(

Meds i'm taking: Omeprazole, Marvelon and Fluexotine (all of which i've taken for a while with no problems).

Thanks :)
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The symptoms (gurgling at back of throat, regurgitation) could be exacerbation of the GERD.  It could also be hiatal hernia. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried. Many a times a persisting H pylori infection can be the cause behind acidity not responding to treatment.
Life style changes that will help include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
If these tips do not help, then liver function test, pancreatic enzymes, and HIDA scan for gall bladder should be done. Food intolerance and inflammatory bowel conditions such as IBS, Crohn’s, celiac etc should be considered. Log in what you eat and see if there is a correlation between a certain food type and the symptoms.
You should consult a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) or a physician for this if these tips reduce your symptoms. You may need upper GI endoscopy for confirmation and to know the degree of damage.
Take care!
Thank you so much, will definately try those tips!
FINALLY got an appointment through to see a consultant gastroenterologist too so hopefully i will get this sorted!