Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Hard Lump Behind Earlobe

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hard Lump Behind Earlobe

A few hours ago I woke up from a nap, and noticed a lump on the right side of my head. It is a little above where my earlobe ends, and is about a quarter of and inch back. It feels very hard, and doesn't seem to move around if i try to push it in any direction. It so hard that I first thought it was my bone popping outwards. It really doesn't feel like its on my skin but almost like its attached to bone? It doesn't hurt by itself, but if i do press on it I experience some pain. I tried to get the best look at it that I could, and it seemed to be a little red, but I have been poking and pressing it.  Im making a doctor's appointment for thursday, and am very worried. Any ideas or similar experiences?
sounds funny but it sounds like what I have and i noticed it years ago after i began having anxiety. I dont know what it is nor do the doctors but sometimes it gets bigger when my anxiety and depression gets worse. But def have it looked at.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Lump behind the ear could be an abscess, folliculitis (hair follicle infection), lipoma (localized collection of fat), a cyst, lymph node or a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in of nerve and connective tissue). Since there is pain on pressing only chances of abscess and hair root infection are less.
Still a diagnosis cannot be confirmed on net. Its good you are seeing your doctor on Thursday. Take care!