Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Hard Lump Near Ear, Cheekbone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Hard Lump Near Ear, Cheekbone

Earlier today, I found a lump on my upper cheeckbone close to my ear. It's not visible, and I only found it when I rubbed my face from fatigue. It's immovable, and very hard. Hurts when I put pressure on it.

I think I read somewhere that it could be a swollen gland?

I'm 18 years old, and am about to leave to Europe for about 10 days.

What is it? What do I do? How is it treated?
Most likley it is just a cystic zit type thing. I have gotten several recently and they can almost feel like a small gland. I'm sure that's what it is. They are hard and feel immobile.
I had the same thing as you describe Dr. told me it was a cyst small about the size of a large pea.. about 5 years later it was the size of a large egg. Went to the Dr. and come to find out it was a tumor. It's called parotid tumor and it is actually a siliva gland.. yes outside your mouth area. right in front of your ear along the jawline. It's normally NOT cancer. Don't worry... if it is bothering you just get it checked out.. I had mine removed as it was so large and bothering me lots. I am not a doctor I am just letting you know about my case. Ok..Enjoy your trip and have tons of fun..
Oops. I reread your posting and I have made a mistake.. I thought you said jawline.. Hmmm near the cheekbone.. Yes most likely a cyst or gland..
I also have one of these. I have had it for approx 10 months. It really has not gotten bigger. Is yours hard? Mine is. I am not going to do anything unless it gets big cause the surgery they do has a potential for cutting the nerves to your face. Please let me know how big yours is.
Jesus, Bubbles, you about gave me a goddamn heart attack.

Anyways, it WAS (!) the size of a pencil eraser. It reduced in sized gradually, and went away after about a week and a half to two weeks.
I have this same thing. It only hurts when I put pressure on it. I might go get it checked out soon. I have only had it for about a week.
hi stumpf, i read a comment you made regarding the small little bump under cheek bone ... I discovered the same thing right under my left cheek bone.
Did yours go away like that other guys? Did you ever see a Doc?
i too found one of theese lumops near my left ear yesterday its so painfull.its near my ear above the jaw line,so sore it feels like i have ear ache,shall i get it checked out?
i have one of those too by my left ear. it hurt for the first day but it doesnt hurt anymore. it almost seems like i can move it slightly but it could just be my imagination. i dont know if i should get it looked at or not..
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Yes, please consult your PCP. Yes, you can move a swollen lymph node. Lumps in that area could be a localized collection of fat, a swollen lymph node, an abscess, folliculitis (hair follicle infection) or a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in a nerve).
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult your doctor. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
I have something similar  to Egatch. I also have a lump around my cheek bone. Mine is above the cheek bone, and close to my ear aswell. It's also not visible. However the lump I have doesn't hurt at all when I feel it or press down on it, and it seems to be movable. I know it has not been there for long time (developed between Oct.2008 -July 2009). I checked to see if it was on the right side aswell, and it wasn't. The side with the lump feels noticeably different than the other side. could this be a cyst?
Welcome to the forum!
The lump could be a lipoma (localized collection of fat), a swollen lymph node or a chronically inflamed parotid gland. It could also be a tumor of the parotid gland, pleomorphic adenoma and Warthin's tumor. Both are generally harmless and benign. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. It is difficult to comment beyond this without examining.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

I to have recently discovered a pea sized lump under the skin right between my my left ear and the back of my cheek bone it is painless and doesn't move. if i try to move it i get a feeling of pressure in the surrounding area for a time after, i am scheduled for an ultrasound next week to investigate further. I will post the result when i have seen my GP
did you hear anything back yet? i have the same thing and was wondering if i should get it checked out soon. thanks.
Definitely get to a specialist and find out what it is. Four days ago I had a rather hard,mostly immovable, mostly painless bump show up about an inch to the left of my lips - in the jaw/lower cheek area but you can't see or feel it from inside the mouth.

I went to a specialist today who said its most likely a swollen lymph gland but he can't rule out it is an agressive tumor/cancer. My situation is esp scary because he said if he does a biopsy, I'll be left with a face scar and possible nerve damage because "its in one of the worst possible places." He suggested we wait 1-3 weeks and see if it just goes down like a swollen lymph node ...but if it is cancer, I'm giving it that much more time to grow and he said its more than 50 percent chance its just a lymph node but that he definitely can't rule out cancer as it could be a cancerous lymph node.

***** being right on the face. My advice go to two specialists. Get a second opinion. Thats what I am doing next week.  Good luck!
A related discussion, lump on my right side of face near to ear. was started.
I have two but im younger than all of you and mine both hurt what shuld i do????
I hav two near my ears and they both hurt. What shuld i do