Hard painful lump behind ear
I have a hard painful lump behind my right ear. When i touch it, its like a bone! its also painful when i touch but doesnt hurt otherwise.. is it an enlarged lymph node? should i be worried? .. its actually right behind my ear so if i press my ear against my head it doesnt show (within the ear span).. if you knwo what i mean.. any help appreciatred.
I have no other symptoms by the way.. no fever, night sweats, fatigue or weight loss infact i have gained weight due to my uncontrolable apettite LOL..

A lump behind the ear could be due to throat infection, insect bite, accidental trauma to the site, ear infection , etc.

Lymph nodes in the region are known as post auricular lymph nodes and can enlarge secondary to infection, inflammation, etc.

You could try some warm compresses at the site, warm saline gargles for his sore throat and some oral antihistamine medications for the swelling.

This could be mastoiditis, cervical lymphadenopathy or parotitis.

Have you seen an ENT specialist or your doctor for your symptoms? Do you have any associated symptoms of pain, discharge, fever, etc?

'Mastoiditis is an infection of the mastoid process, the portion of the temporal bone of the skull that is behind the ear. It is usually caused by untreated acute otitis media (middle ear infection) .'

You could read more about the condition at the following links -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastoidectomy

and

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic306.htm

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.