Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Haven't eaten in a week, difficulty swallowing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Last Wednesday, February 10th, I believe I had what was an anxiety attack while out with friends. I started shaking, my mouth got really dry, I couldn't swallow even my own saliva. I went home and laid down but couldn't get comfortable because I felt the room was spinning. My tongue literally felt swollen because I kept feeling like my gag reflex was constantly being triggered. When I woke up the next day, I tried to eat but I gagged on the very first bite of food I took. I have not eaten since Wednesday the 10th and it is now Wednesday the 17th. I had an extremely sore throat and fever for a few days but it has since gone away.

However, my mouth is still constantly dry, despite trying to drink plenty of water, and my tongue, no matter how much I try to brush it, is white. I have still not been able to eat a full meal. In the last 7 days, I have eaten chicken broth, a cup of pudding, a piece of pizza crust, and a few bites of noodle here and there but nothing else. But when I chew, my throat feels like it's closing up and it literally feels like the food is getting stuck. Sometimes I have trouble even swallowing my own saliva.

I looked in the mirror the other day, and it seems one of my tonsils is swollen. I am extremely tired, I have been sleeping 9 or 10 hours at a time but I'm still exhausted and constantly feel like my gag reflex is being triggered. I have no health insurance so I have not been to the doctors yet, but I figured I'd ask and see if any of this sounds familiar.

I smoke so I was wondering if this could possibly be cancer in my throat? Or maybe it's tonsillitis?
1 Comment
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Dehydration, deficiency of calcium and magnesium, irritable bowel can also cause a gag spasm. GERD or gastric reflux is another common cause and can also cause swelling and inflammation in throat. The treatment of acidity and GERD involves taking a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole,  lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into and a combination antibiotic tried. Along with it you can try over the counter antacids. However I would recommend you see a doctor and take medication under a doctor’s supervision. Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Take a late night snack and eat supper early. Go to bed at least 2 hours after food main food, dinner or supper. Maybe these tips will help you. It can also be a liver infection in early stages. Hence it is important to get a liver function test. I would strongly recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system).
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!