Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Head/Neck Pain especially when lying down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

For nearly 2 months now, I've been experiencing a combination neck and headache.  It is only on my left side, and occurs in these scenarios: 1. I'm lying on my left side on my couch watching TV  2. I'm lying in bed reading w/my head propped up on a pillow, but I'm lying straight.  3. Sometimes when I'm driving or typing on the computer and a bit hunched over.

The pain goes from my upper left neck area through the left side of my head.........it's somewhat of a dull pain, but Ibuprofen and/or Aspirin don't seem to help.  I started doing yoga at the beginning of the year, and this is when the aches began to occur.  During the daytime, when I'm standing or walking, there is no pain.......it's only when I'm lying down.  I've also been experiencing some troubles sleeping and some shortness of breath.  I have not gone to the doctor for an examination, as the pain is a fairly recent development.  Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
The neck pain in your case appears to be due to muscle strain or tension. This is caused by everyday activities like bending over a desk for hours as in studying, placing too high or too low computer monitor, poor posture while watching TV or reading, sleeping in an uncomfortable position. A good physiotherapist can help relieve this type of pain. If yoga is not done under proper guidance or if the steps are not followed properly it can cause muscle strain. Another cause is nerve compression at the cervical vertebral level. Neck pain causes some amount of spasm of neck muscles and thus breathlessness is possible. You can consult an orthopedic specialist too.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Your symptoms are suggestive of cervical spondolysis .Cervical spondolysis is due to the age-related degeneration ('wear & tear') of the vertebrae and discs in the neck region.This can cause compression of the nerves and hence pain and numbness. Diagnosis can be confirmed by x-ray neck or MRI spine.

Apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer like ibuprofen or diclofenac.Application of topical muscle relaxants will also help. Cervical spondolysis also responds to anti-inflammatory drugs and cervical collars. A good posture may help. Brace your shoulders slightly backwards, and walk 'like a model'. Try not to stoop when you sit at a desk. Sit upright.Use a firm supporting pillow while sleeping and try some neck exercises.

If the symptoms persist then pls get it evaluated from a physician .
Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.
Thank for the advice.  I am 34 years old, and let's just say I've been a couch potato much of my life.  As of January 1, I decided that I wasn't going to live that way any longer, so I've gone into yoga full throttle.  I love it, but I agree w/you that I've probably over-exerted myself a bit resulting in some shifts in my body.  I will be more mindful in my practice.......it's interesting as my instructor always tells us to stand "like a model" with chests out and tailbones tucked (to lengthen the spine).  You have put me at ease for now, and I will continue w/a regimen of ibuprofen, tiger balm, and warm compresses.  I'll keep you in touch w/my progress, as there is no way I'm going to stop doing yoga.  Thanks again and take care.

Josh