Undiagnosed Symptoms Expert Forum
Head Pressure/Dizzy on Left Side - Please advise

Topics covered include , breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I've seen similar but not exact posts, so I'm going to list my condition...

About three weeks ago I got a "pressure" on the left side of my head.  It seems centered about 4 inches above my left ear, in-between the ear and top of my head.  The best way I can describe it is an "inner pressure" from within my head (at least the way it feels).   On the best days lately, it stays in the background but you can still feel it.  On the average day, it's noticeable and uncomfortable (but there is no actual large amount of "pain").  One the worse days, it actually makes me just a bit "fuzzy headed", in a very slight mental fog - nothing severe, but it just seems to take some extra concentration in order to focus, or, if I turn my head quickly there's a moment or two of very slight "gyro is off" dizzy feelings.

I just finished taking a refill of antibiotics just in case it was a sinus infection.  While taking them I had one or two days where it seemed to help, but I've finished the bottle six days ago and the pressure is back. I am *not* experiencing blurry vision of any kind, or sharp pains, or nose bleeds or anything like that, although there has been a day or two where the pressure seems to be less, but, there may be SLIGHT pain in the head just above the left ear area.   The only thing is that lately here (Atlanta) we've had a couple of weeks of prolonged severe heat (100 degrees, etc), but this really was starting before the heat wave hit, though maybe it seems to make it worse - hard to tell.

Sometimes if I take a nap, or after a full night's sleep, the feeling is much much less noticeable, but returns not long after being awake and moving around.

I don't have insurance so going to the doctor will cost $$$ out of pocket and while I may wind up having to do this anyway, it would at least be nice to not have to go in freaking out thinking I have a brain tumor or anything.  Thanks.
Difficult to say without evaluation.

Several neurological disorders can lead to the refractory symptoms.  Imaging the head can rule out many of these causes.  I would suggest discussing whether a head CT or MRI would be appropriate.

Blood tests looking for inflammation (i.e. obtaining a sedimentation rate) can be done to evaluate for giant cell arteritis, which can also lead to some of the symptoms you describe.

I would discuss these options with your personal physician, as well as consider a neurology referral.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
If you don't mind my asking (and I won't bug you with continuous questions)...

When yous say this:  "Blood tests looking for inflammation (i.e. obtaining a sedimentation rate) can be done to evaluate for giant cell arteritis, which can also lead to some of the symptoms you describe."....

Could you go into just a bit more detail as to what "giant cell arteritis" is, and the seriousness of it, or is it something that goes away on it's own or just with antibiotics, etc etc?   Thank you.
This stuff is just freaky.  We need to cure every single biological abnormality by the year 2010.  In order for that to happen, we all should give up our lives and do nothing but study medicine.
These are the exact same symptoms I have had for about 6 months now. I also, have no insurance. When the pressure first started, I was diagnosed with sinus infection also, but however once the sinus infection was gone, the pressure was still there. My doctor has been very helpful by giving me samples, and talking with me over the phone, so that I would not have to pay out of pocket. However, nothing has helped me. I have an appointment today with my doctor, b/c I finally got insurance, so hopefully I can have ever test possible done on me. I have this pressure in my head everyday, and like you explained, some days or worse than others. My pressure tends to ease up in the evening, have you noticed if yours does the same? My doctor mentioned that all of this could be caused from hormones, so I hope to have my hormone levels checked today. I also hope my doctor will send me somewhere for a MRI, I also fear I might have a brain tumor or something serious. I hope you receive some help, and please let me know if anything works for you. I will let you know how my appointment goes today, hopefully we can get rid of the pressure!