Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Headache, swelling and pain behind left ear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

For last sometime approx 1 year I have been getting terrible headache off and on but for in last two months it has became quite regular. Due to this problem whenever I consulted doctors I have been given some pain killers and some suggestion like not to sit in a position continuously for more than an hour, not to take more stress and not too use pillow but it has not worked.

Just yesterday I observed this is some sort of swelling behind my left ear which is the area where I get constant pain but there actually can't telling if this is swelling because when I try to press it I can feel it is not sort rather it feel like bone only. This pain is not just restricted to my head but it also feel quite bad in the neck.

I would be really nice if someone can point what this could be because this pain has intensified in last couple of months.

Regards
Amit Jain
What Dr's./tests have you seen/had. Any scans/mri's or bloodwk?
Your upper cervical spine around C2 or skull forward do to bad
neck posture can be just one of many conditions. You can do
a google on Occipital muscles for examples of why they effect
neck to behind ear & back of head. These effect fibers that can
cause hdaches & the mastoid behind ear. With no actual inside
ear problems, doesn't sound like ear is culprit. Could be muscle
or spine. Sometimes it takes awhile for more symptoms to dx. A
spine mri would elimate disc/spurs/compression. Get copies to
review anything done. May consider a Osteopath/chiro/scans.
Even out of alignment eyeglasses can cause an ear awelling. Try
to get more info & post. Many will suggest a Neurologist but
your reg MD can order scans & consider trial meds if they aren't
severe long-lasting migraines. Post any further info. Gd-luck.
My concern is that the number of headaches is increasing over the past two months and that the location of these headaches are always in the same location.  Headaches that can be passed off due to stress or other non serious things are usually non-specific to location.  The more concerning headache gradually increases in frequency over a period of time and stays specific to one location.  If these headaches are becoming more intense there may be a building of pressure affecting other areas like the neck, eyes or ears.  It may be wise to seek Medical advice from a Doctor to recieve any appropriate scans for a diagnosis or to rule out any serious illness.  Try to google different types of headaches.  There are many different types.    

This could be mastoiditis, cervical lymphadenopathy or parotitis.

Have you seen an ENT specialist or your doctor for your symptoms? Do you have any associated symptoms of pain, discharge, fever, etc?

'Mastoiditis is an infection of the mastoid process, the portion of the temporal bone of the skull that is behind the ear. It is usually caused by untreated acute otitis media (middle ear infection) .'

You could read more about the condition at the following links -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastoidectomy

and

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic306.htm

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Post us about what your doctor advises.

Regards.
unless this site is run by doctor's i would not take the advice
I have suffered a severe headache on my left side following 2 days of paralysis of my face on the same side since then I have this feeling of pressure in my neck and ear, can anyone tell me what this can be I have been for a ct scan of my brain and a sonar of neck no swolen glands or a obstruction in the kariotes vein can be seen.
Hi Lizzy, I can relate to the partial face paralysis. It went undiagnosed for the extent of the paralysis, I had MRIs, CTs, an anything else they could think of. Finally after 4 days of this my face slowly started gaining control of the muscles again, then my doctor advised me that it mustve been an allergic reaction.

Its been about 4 years since that happened an now I have the same symptoms as the others here...headache behind the left ear, swelling  behind my ear in my hair line, and very tender to the touch during and after the headaches. I am insure as to why I am getting these headaches because as of the past month or two It was a rarity for me to have any type of headaches.
The difference with my symptoms is that wheni get these headaches its almost like I have fluid on the left dude of my skull, from the hairline in front around the ear an wrapping around to almost my spinal cord. I tilt or lean my head to the left and I can feel fluid move! Not sure why and no I haven't been swimming to get actual fluid in my ear. Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thnk you
A related discussion, swelling inside my ear was started.