Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Headache when standing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Headache when standing

I am experiencing severe headaches when standing. The longer I sit, the worse the headache is when I stand. If I stand after sitting for a couple of hours, it is sometimes so severe that it causes vision problems- blurring and "halo's" similar to migraine sufferrers. I also have 3 blulging cervical disks....that are causing tingling and numbness in left arm.

Could the headaches be a sympton and be associated with the disk issues?  I am debating on having a cervical fusion (surgery) on C7 /T1 mainly because the headaches are killing me, but doctors can't confirm that surgery will eliminate headaches.  Any suggestions?

Three possibilities are there.One is orthostatic hypotension.It may cause dizziness and even headaches due to a sudden pooling of blood in the lower extremities effected by the pull of gravity.This decreases blood returning to the heart and brain .Thus,may further decrease blood pressure.

The other possibility is of vertebrobasilar insufficiency,maybe related to cervical spondolysis also.

Third possibility is of acostic neuroma.It a noncancerous (benign), often slow-growing tumor of the nerve that connects the ear to the brain.Diagnosed by MRI head.

I strongly advise you to consult a neurologist and get MRI brain done.Also dont readily or abruptly stand from a sitting or lying position and when you are lying down, take some time to sit  and dangle your legs at the edge of the bed before standing up. Drink a lot of fluids and eat a balanced meal.

Hope it helps. Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing
I have the exact same feeling that you are describing!  Does it sometimes make you feel like you are just going to pass out?  Mine feels like extreme pressure in my head, not so much a headache.  Sometimes it even makes my arms feel like they are going numb when it happens, but after I have been standing a few minutes it all starts to feel normal again except for the pressure.

I too have a few bulging disks in my neck, but nothing major, so I don't really think that has anything to do with my problem.  I have, however, been diagnosed with Pseudotumor Cerebri, (also called Intracranial Hypertension).  I have had vision problems because of it and lost some of my peripheral vision. I have to have my vision checked every 3 months to make sure it isn't getting any worse.  I'm not totally sure that this is the only problem I have,or what causes all of this, but it is the only thing at the present time that I have been diagnosed with.  My optometrist is the one who caught it while she was doing my annual eye exam.  My nerve heads and optic nerve were swollen (my neuro missed this on 2 separate visits). I ended up having to have a spinal tap to relieve some of the pressure.  This may or may not be the same thing you are experiencing, but if it is I feel your pain and frustration.

If you figure out what is causing your problems let me know, and if you want to chat some more send me a message.