Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Headaches and High Blood Pressure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Headaches and High Blood Pressure

I have been having severe headaches since I was 8 years old. My pediatrition diagnosed me with migraines. In the past few months they have been worse and more frequent than ever before, I have also noticed that they start when I go to lay down. In November and December of 2009 I was having 3 or more severe headaches/migraines a week. I would take a prescribed zomig, sometimes it would work, sometimes not. This past few weeks I have noticed when I lay down I begin to get a headache. This past week I have woke up with a headache 5 days. It feels slightly better when I get up, but is never completely relieved. I have taken 400mg of iburofen each day I have had a headache and about three hours after I take it I notice some relief, but still not completely gone. My blood pressure has also been high the past year or so. This past Tuesday (2/2/2010) I was at the doctor's office, my blood pressure was 140/102, the doctor I seen did not seem worried about it at all, and told me not to worry about the headaches. I would like to know if all this is related and if I should get a second opinion? Anyone with any advice or information please respond.
YES, you should be very worried.  Although high blood pressure normally doesn't cause any symptoms, some people do get the headaches with high blood pressure.  You are way too young to have high BP so there has to be an underlying reason for this, and I feel it's related to your headaches.  You need to find a new doctor.  I would suggest you see a neurologist and nephrologist, one is for the headaches, and the other to check your kidneys.  If your kidneys aren't functioning at 100% it will raise your BP.  Don't wait on this, see the specialists and get to the bottom of this so you can get your life back.  Take care...
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You could be having a sleep disorder. The other possibility is cluster headaches. The pain is generally one sided, accompanied by vertigo and worse on lying down. Sitting up and pacing improves the pain. Please consult a neurologist to begin with. Yoga helps relieve the pain to some extent.
The other possibility is ‘benign intracranial hypertension’(BIH). This happens due to impaired CSF absorption. A generalized throbbing headache worst felt in the morning and last thing at night. This headache is generally relieved on standing (consistent with raised intracranial pressure). It is aggravated by straining, coughing or a change in position.
Hope this helps. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult a neurologist. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!