Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Headaches and lower back pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Headaches and lower back pain

About two weeks ago I was having really bad headaches that were so bad they were making sick to my stomach. I guess like a migraine, I never had one. I did go to the doctor and at that time it was mainly the bad headaches, so he scheduled an MRI on just the brain and did some blood work. Both of those came back fine, but a couple days before the MRI my lower back, just above the tail bone, started to hurt really bad. It also is a little sore and feels kind of swollen. I have started sleeping on a heating pad and that seems to help with the pain and headaches. It seems to get real bad when I sit for long periods of time and is ok when I am standing.

Has anyone ever had or know someone with these same symptoms, if yes, do you know what could be going on?
1 Comment
Thanks for writing to the forum!
There is a possibility that your headaches and tail bone pain are not related. Tailbone pain or coccydynia or coccygodynia is caused by the coccyx dislocating when you sit. It is often caused by falling backwards or by childbirth. In about a third of cases the cause of pain is not known. Use a well-padded seat when sitting. Avoid long periods of sitting in one posture. Anti inflammatory drugs, pain killers, local analgesic creams all help to some extent. Some benefit by local steroid injection at the site of the pain.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult an orthopedic specialist. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!