Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Heavy Metal Toxicity

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Heavy Metal Toxicity

Can anypne tell me anything abpout Heavy Metal Toxicity?
I tested very high for Arsenic, Lead, Antimony, Cadmium and Tin.
Fatigue and joint pain are my two major symptoms.
Thank for the info. Even I found this interesting. How would someone contract this other than poising? Job exposure etc.??

I know that a lot of people are testing high for lead & mercury and that is due to air pollution. I think the poster must work around these chemicals... maybe they will respond and let us know. I was surprised to see an elevated arsenic. The hair analysis is really the best way to get tested.

Wow. Thanks for the quick response. Are we bored or what?

How did you get a high reading for arsenic? Did they test your urine, blood or hair ? To my understanding, hair analysis is more accurate than the others. Usually when someone tests positive for arsenic, physicians' have to inform the authorities, unless you had an exposure.

Symptoms of heavy metal toxicity include mental confusion, pain in muscles and joints, headaches, short-term memory loss, gastrointestinal upsets, food intolerances/allergies, vision problems, chronic fatigue, and others. The symptoms are so vague that it is difficult to diagnose based on symptoms alone.

Arsenic - symptoms can include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vertigo, headache, fatique, paresthesia, paralysis and mental impairment.

Lead - symptoms can include hypertension, fatigue, hemolytic anemia, abdominal pain, nausea, constipation, weight loss, peripheral neuropathy, cognitive dysfunction, arthralgias, headache, weakness, irritability, impotence, loss of libido, depression, depression of thyroid and adrenal function, chronic renal failure, gout.

Cadmium - Cadmium may promote skeletal demineralization and increase bone fragility and fracture risk.

source: diagnose-me.com

Antimony - see: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/pgms/worknotify/antimony.html

Tin - check out this awesome link - includes others as well:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002822.htm
Hi, I agree about the hair analysis being the best way, or so I've heard. I had it done years ago. I also had a heavy metals urine test last year (6 hour collection while taking DMSA) & it showed I have extremely high levels of mercury & lead. I'm pretty sure I got exposed to these chemicals over the past several years, its no surprise. There's a lot of controversy over accurate testing & treatment (as with everything else). I'd suggest the hair analysis as well, & really research treatments, i.e., chelation. I tried the chelation both in pill & IV form, & a combination of the two, & I had the worst reaction to it! Be careful with what you decide to do, & whatever treatment you decide on, do it slowly, my doc said my reaction to the chelation was probably because it was too fast (for my system to handle,) I was getting rid of the metals but it pushed me over the edge physically & emotionally, & I believe I'm still recovering from the treatment, not just the metal toxicity. Let us know what you do!
Arsenic is found in water and comes from various natural geologically deposits within the ground.  The levels can be inappropriately high in well water and should be checked periodically to ensure this isnt the case.  Outside of a lab setting, drinking water is the most likely source of accidental arsenic poisioning.  Lead poisioning can also result from drinking contaminated water but high lead content is usually a result of human-caused contamination.

Various types of solder can contain toxic heavy metals such as cadmium, antimony, and tin (silver also) but these metals along with lead can also be found in various plastics, coatings and paint.  Anyone producing these industrial materials could get metal poisioning if the appropriate precautions are not taken however, this can also result from someone that performs lot of metal working in ones own home (soldering etc.)

Cadmium and antimony are present in some batteries and unfortunately lead can be found in old paint, and in soil from the days of lead-based fuels.

The symptoms of various heavy metal poisionings are similar and the most common include: stomach pains, nausea, vomiting, diaherra (diarrhea), headache, dizziness, weight lose, muscle aches, memory lose, headaches, and hair loss......  Chelation therapy does a good job at removing heavy metals.

"Could there be a corrilation between metal poisoning and Crohn's or could Crohn's perhaps just be undiagnosed metal poisoning? - Just a theory."

I think you have a solid theory.  Some of the symptoms of heavy metal poisioning mimic those of heavy metal poisioning and vice versa.  Moreover, below is a quote from the last paragraph of the website: http://zap.intergate.ca/metal.html

"In my opinion, when dental mercury and other toxic metals attract pathogens such as parasites, bacteria, viruses and fungus, really bad things can start to happen. Crohn's disease is one possible result of the deadly interplay of metals and pathogens in the digestive tract that I am personally familiar."

I would suggest you advise your coworkers to get checked for heavy metal poisioning - if the chemicals at your work place are, in fact, the cause of this something needs to be done immediately as it is an unsafe work environment.  I agree with PlateletGal in that you need to contact the equivalent of OSHA in Australia which I believe is the Australian Safety and Compensation Council  http://www.ascc.gov.au/
Also - a friend of mine who still works for the same company apparently has Crohn's disease and another friend who works for a newspaper apparently developed Crohn's disease after she began working for the newspaper.

Could there be a corrilation between metal poisoning and Crohn's or could Crohn's perhaps just be undiagnosed metal poisoning? - Just a theory.

Should I alert someone to my condition? If the company was responsible I think other employees have a right to know about the risks becuase I was never informed about the potential for metal poisoning or anything like it.

Thanks for the responses.

I would notify OSHA so they can look into it :

http://www.osha.gov/
wow.  
I love this site because of threads like this one.  I have absolutely nothing to add to this except to say that PlateletGal is my new hero!
I worked for a printing company for 2 and a half years. I recently sent a hair sample away for analysis (www.bodybalance.com) and was suprised to learn that I had 5 toxic elements outside of the normal range.

I was instructed to see a doctor but I'm an Australian, currently in the USA, until Christmas - so I figure it will be expensive to see a doctor. Would it be worthwhile seeing a doctor now or waiting until I return to Australia.

"I have absolutely nothing to add to this except to say that PlateletGal is my new hero!"

Well I wouldn't know about that, but thank you for the compliment. We do have a great team here... just like the new TV show, "Heroes".   = )

Spade - thank you for posting that link !

These metals if your not working in them your likely getting them from your homes or homes you have lived in past years or childhood. Lead poison has no cure you can get it as a child and it not effect you until adulthood. Myself and entire family where all poisoned in tampa florida by our landlord and two employers our childs doctors hid the true facts from us neither the landlord or employers followed the federal laws of disclosure, HUD,EPA,OSHA,EEOC, all refused to enforce the laws or investigate Health department falsely investigated to cover for the childs dr's screw ups, My doctor blamed anything but lead poison on my apparent symptoms of acute toxicity, I went to a doctor who did blame lead poison on my symptoms of Anemia and pulled me out of the work and poison when all others refused to another couple weeks or so of work I likely would have died. then DCF/Medicaid refused to pay the dR who blame lead. My prim Dr and local Hospital denied I was having heart attacks/mini strokes for 21 months. two lawyers quit landlord got falsed eviction judge denied acess to court kicked us with our two yr old in the streets then when they did admit heart attacks they ran us out of state to destroy the evidence and me off the heart meds for 14 more months, they delay my meds every chance they get and tests and treatment. I have 3 clogs they can't fix. Thundercaps which are clots busting in your brain, PAD bone pain poor cardio likely heart failure high risk for full blown stroke they ran our statutes to sue out and now are running the childs out.Denied me disability. just in the 21 months at start with those symptoms at 6mo had 50% death rate at 1yr it was 90% death rate leaving me among 10% who would still be alive. its now 5 yrs and about 70% with the same heart damage are dead I am 50. still fighting doctors to do test or get results.EPA and HUD have had 40 yrs to do something these companies knew they were poisoning people the war is between Paint/lead co., and owners of these homes yet they pass them to unsuspecting tenents claiming it wont hurt you.These people belong in prison for life and in cases of death for murder, yet our gov keeps taking up for them not you or I and many symptoms arent as easy as mine where to detect. My case I was setup to be murdered cause DCF frauded a child molesting case with my ex and forced me to unlawfully pay the molesters 20yrs when child grew up and we went to sue over it this is what my new family and I got we have no clue how badly this will effect our now 7yr who ha alot of issues due to lead and is also untreated properly. Demand prison for the lead/paint companies, landlords,employers wrtie your congress and gov get all u can to write. my email ***@**** will respond to as many as I can until this finally kills me.