Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Heel and up the right side of my ankle pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

I am a long distance runner and have been running for awhile now. I am currently training for another half-marathon at the moment and have been gradually increasing my mileage. I run an average of 15-20 miles a week when I am not in training.

So I ran a 12 mile training run on Sunday with absolutely no issues or pain of anything. And it felt great. I obviously took Monday off and rested. However I did walk my dog for about a mile that night. That is when I noticed a dulling aching pain starting everytime I would put pressure on my right heel. I did not twist it or land on it wrong or anything like that. Thinking I must of just been sore I didn't worry about it. But it still felt off on Tuesday so I didn't run on it again. Now Wednesday I decided to try a small 3.5 training run. It started to ache a mile in but I was able to finish. However the pain increased and now it is everytime I step with my heel the pressure on my heel cause pain and also an acute pain on the right side of my upper ankle. It is literally just localized to that one are and it is not my whole ankle or foot. When I walk on just the upper part of my foot there is no pain as well as sitting and twisting my foot around there is no pain. As I stay off of it it does not get worse and it actually felt a little better this Thursday morning. Although the pain increases on it as I use it more. I am very concerned and I am running a half marathon this coming Sunday. I don't want to do any more damage in case it is something major but I did see a doctor and got x-rays and he said it was most likely soft tissue damage. I'm just not sure and would love to hear anyone else opinions or diagnosis. Running means so much to me, so anything would be super appreciated. Thank-you!
How frustrating...my first thought was that it might be a heel spur but you had an x-ray done and it didn't show anything.  I know you consulted a doctor but if it wasn't a podiatrist (specializes in feet), it would be well worth it for you considering how important running is in your life.  I'm not a doctor but have worked in the medical field for a long time.  Good Luck!
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
The pain could be due to heel spurs, plantar fascitis etc . All I can say is that prolonged pressure on one point could be responsible for your pain. You should try acupressure and wear soft padded footwear preferably slip-ons and not shoes. You can also try foot wear with soles designed according to pressure points. Another possibility is excessive pronation which occurs when the foot has a tendency to turn inward and stretch and pull the fascia along with it. This also causes heel pain, and because of the posture pain is also felt in hip, knee, ankle and lower back.
Hope this helps. Take care!
Thank you for your advice and at first I thought it was plantar fascitis as well. But I read that the pain is worse first thing in the morning and that is when I have no pain. The pain comes as I use the foot more and more throughout the day. Increasing in discomfort and range of the pain area. I did get insoles yesterday that support my arch and heel but they tested my foot to see if it is not aligned properly and they said that my walk was good. The insoles aren't really helping and I think they are aggravating the problem more. Thank you again for all your advice.