Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
Help I've been sick for two months...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to undiagnosed symptoms, breathing difficulties, feeling cold, cough, diarrhea, dizziness, fainting, fever, indigestion, itching, nausea, numbness, pain (chronic), paralysis, rash, sweating, swelling, urination problems, and vomiting.

Help I've been sick for two months...

I've been sick for two months straight and my doctor keeps telling me it's "just a virus and it will go away". Well it's not and I think he's an idiot.

I'm having severe throat pain where my tonsils would be if i still had them, and a little above that the glands are swollen and sore. The back of my tongue is sore. My throat gets so swollen I can hardly eat, I've been popping ibuprofen and advil nearly every day a few times a day. My left ear feels plugged and I'm having ear pain just below the ear lobe sort of behind my jaw. It's mostly the left side that gets swollen but the right side is swollen/sore on and off too. I've had a lot of muscle pain so bad that I actually couldn't move and had to take a week off of work because my entire body was spasming. It was horrible.

Why am I not getting better? I'm getting really worried.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I am having two possibilities in my mind after reading your symptoms.

Firstly,it can be a case of mononucleosis.It is a viral infection(EBV virus)causing fevers, sore throat, and swollen lymph glands, especially in the neck.Diagnosed by mono spot test(takes only a few minutes, and can be done in a physician's office), Epstein-Barr virus antigen by immunofluorescence and Epstein-Barr virus antibody titers.

Most patients recover within 2-4 weeks without medication. Rest, a healthy diet, plenty of fluids, limiting heavy exercise and competitive sports, and treatment of aches with acetaminophen (Tylenol, Panadol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) will help the illness pass.

Second possibility is of streptococcal sore throat.Diagnosed by rapid strep test If positive,then antibiotics are needed. Penicillin is the preferred medication. Oral penicillin must be taken for 10 days. Patients need to take the entire amount of antibiotic prescribed, even after symptoms of the sore throat improve. Stopping the antibiotic early can lead to a return of the sore throat.

Pls consult a physician and get yourself evaluated as physical examination ir required to make a diagnosis.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.

my doctor tested me for both and they came back negative, but i took penicillin anyways and it did seem to help but i kind of messed up on taking it and i missed a few doses...

i'll go see him again and ask to be retested. i feel like he is getting annoyed with me.
i should mention my neck has been extremely stiff and sore, especially for the first couple of weeks, and i had a fever for a week.